So now that they've back-pedalled..

startwin

Two@Sea, I have seen many thoughtful posts from you over the years, so I do understand your point about process (less straightforward, more time-consuming, more intensive for staff). But can't the same be said of cruisers who lug cases of wine or other beverages onboard for their own consumption? Their boarding process is less straightforward (because they've got to get the bubbly etc. on with them), more time-consuming (for the cruisers who must wait while they struggle with the cases) and more intensive for staff (many of whom must be called upon to take the cases to the room).

I understand that most posters here will be taking one or two bottles, not cases. However, I think you've raised an interesting angle.

Or not :)

You've already stated that you don't drink; and, that the rest of us like to whine about wine...seems to me you're whining about us whining about wine!

I, too, would suggest that you move along...this thread should be of no real interest to you. For the record, I, too, have never been delayed about anyone's wine...frankly, I've never noticed "cases and cases".

My other reason for bringing some wine has nothing to do with availability or cost. We drink mostly Cabernet and Pinot Noir, and I don't like my red wine served at room temperature. Bringing my own to the dining room allows me to chill it a little bit before dinner, to try to approximate it being taken out of a wine cellar.:) I know if you don't drink a lot of red wine it probably sounds silly, but it works for me!

I'm with you, Cindy. We buy our wine on board, but have it delivered to our room so we can pre chill it to our liking.

However, we do bring wine on board for drinking in our room (never outside) and I feel charging corkage when we bring it on would not be fair. If we can bring 2 bottles on and no more, then That's all we'll bring.

You've already stated that you don't drink; and, that the rest of us like to whine about wine...seems to me you're whining about us whining about wine!

I, too, would suggest that you move along...this thread should be of no real interest to you. For the record, I, too, have never been delayed about anyone's wine...frankly, I've never noticed "cases and cases".

Well said, Sheila. Some people have just come onto these threads to stir the pot and are adding absolutely nothing constructive or helpful. In fact this particular poster seems to do nothing but whine.

Well said, Sheila. Some people have just come onto these threads to stir the pot and are adding absolutely nothing constructive or helpful. In fact this particular poster seems to do nothing but whine.

ohhhh - I so wanted to say - I'll buy them a glass of wine - if it will stop the whining - but I forgot they don't drink:D

Two@Sea, I have seen many thoughtful posts from you over the years, so I do understand your point about process (less straightforward, more time-consuming, more intensive for staff). But can't the same be said of cruisers who lug cases of wine or other beverages onboard for their own consumption? Their boarding process is less straightforward (because they've got to get the bubbly etc. on with them), more time-consuming (for the cruisers who must wait while they struggle with the cases) and more intensive for staff (many of whom must be called upon to take the cases to the room).

I understand that most posters here will be taking one or two bottles, not cases. However, I think you've raised an interesting angle.

Wow!

What is your main malfunction?

kazu, you are right that not everyone is drinking on their cruise.

There have been threads posted asking people how low their on board bill is at the end of their cruise. And there are a lot of people on this site who have very low bills to pay.

They don't drink, they don't gamble, they don't buy souvenirs, they don't go to specialty restaurants, they don't do excursions. And the list goes on and on.

These responses were not all HAL cruisers, it's across the board for the mainstream cruiselines.

So how can the cruiselines squeeze some money out of these cruisers?

Perhaps they should do something I've been advocating for years -- go back to charging a per-cabin rate that puts them on the positive side of the balance sheet to begin with. This is how cruise lines originally did business. It's only been in the recent decade or slightly more where cruise lines felt they had to hold the prices of cabins down and thence started all the nickle-and-diming, the emphasis on spending money on board, the pressure to sell, sell, sell!

Personally, I would MUCH rather pay more for the cabin than put up with all of that -- and a couple of the niche lines I've sailed with do it much more along those lines.

I am no cheapskate -- but I generally do not spend much onboard ship. I do not take cruise tours (my preference, not unwillingness to spend), I don't run up a big bar tab, don't gamble, don't go to the spa. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to spend for a good cruise experience.

For those unhappy with HAL's recent trajectory -- look elsewhere. Think outside the box!

(Also someone suggested a few pages back that they couldn't find any itineraries that included Meteora other than HAL's -- I've seen several, ranging from one of the Princess small ships to Voyages to Antiquity.)

Erewhon, already know about the Central Otago Wines, their Pinot's are to die for :) May I ask where in Port Chalmers your favourite winery is, always open to suggestions.

Just found your message, there is no winery at Port Chalmers, but the "New World" supermarket a few minutes walk along the street, stocked some Central Otago wines.

Gibbston Valley is one of my favourites, when we visit the Queenstown/

Wanaka area, we always stop at the winery for supplies, they also sell good local cheese,( if you decide to do a land tour of the South Island.):D

I think everyone needs to emphasis the corkage fee for all wine over the one bottle limit per person, better wine selection and more choices in the navigators and admiral package.

As for getting HAL to lower the prices, I don't think that is going to happen. None of us know how much money they do realize from having wine onboard. We are comparing the cheapest we can purchase for per bottle/case and to what HAL charges.

I searched the Internet and found that restaurants on the average charge three times markup. But then I found this article which explained why restaurants charge three and four times markup. From my math it seems HAL is charging in most cases 4times markup.

restaurants.com/blog/how-much-do-restaurants-mark-up-wine/#.Ufr5Hcu9KSM

So I would recommend asking for what HAL will realistically be able to offer---corkage fee on all wine over one per person and a better selection especially in their wine packages. No reason that they can't offer 9 whites and 9 reds just like Celebrity does. If they run out, the cellar master purchases another $5 to $8 bottle of wine in its place from the region the ship is traveling.

I think everyone needs to emphasis the corkage fee for all wine over the one bottle limit per person, better wine selection and more choices in the navigators and admiral package.

As for getting HAL to lower the prices, I don't think that is going to happen. None of us know how much money they do realize from having wine onboard. We are comparing the cheapest we can purchase for per bottle/case and to what HAL charges.

I searched the Internet and found that restaurants on the average charge three times markup. But then I found this article which explained why restaurants charge three and four times markup. From my math it seems HAL is charging in most cases 4times markup.

restaurants.com/blog/how-much-do-restaurants-mark-up-wine/#.Ufr5Hcu9KSM

So I would recommend asking for what HAL will realistically be able to offer---corkage fee on all wine over one per person and a better selection especially in their wine packages. No reason that they can't offer 9 whites and 9 reds just like Celebrity does. If they run out, the cellar master purchases another $5 to $8 bottle of wine in its place from the region the ship is traveling.

I think most of us have done that have emailed - suggested corkage fee, etc. The problem is most seem to be getting a letter that starts with 'sorry you don't like the new package' and ends with....this is the way it is effective January 2014.

I haven't received my reply yet from the Office of the President however the one from guest services was even less personalized.

I spent a bit of time composing the email with suggestions that I would have thought would have made everyone happy.

I think Laminator had a really good suggestion on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889912

a really positive way to approach it on facebook. I invite everyone to take a look. It's a fabulous idea IMO.

Has the FB thread started yet. I haven't been able to find anything on there yet in relation to Laminator's suggestion.

there's not a thread per se - each person has to post where you do the comments - I haven't done it yet as I was working on the future cruise listing for tomorrow :o and I have to figure out how to do it with my Ipad as the pic I want is there. At least for the first one. Mine will be up by tomorrow at the latest:)

actually, there might be more than one - I have lots of these types of pics as he has suggested - so I might just do a comment one day - a comment a day later, etc.

But I really want to start with the one from our last cruise.

It seems to me that we should come up with a definitive and realistic proposal to put to HAL (perhaps the automatic corkage fee on all wine we bring on board with a suggested fee) it needs to be easy and cost effective on the admin for HAL to even consider. Then set up a petition or, failing that, encourage everyone to write in/post on Facebook the SAME proposal. The united front on FB so far has had an effect. The topic has been talked over, chewed around and moaned about long enough now let's make a plan for the next course of action.

If someone else has a better idea it would be useful to have a solid proposal to make comparisons then, if someone more eloquent than I can suggest some suitable wording, we can get the campaign moving.

Just an idea.

Mumsy.

When you find yourself in a hole....quit digging!!!!

It seems to me that we should come up with a definitive and realistic proposal to put to HAL (perhaps the automatic corkage fee on all wine we bring on board with a suggested fee) it needs to be easy and cost effective on the admin for HAL to even consider. Then set up a petition or, failing that, encourage everyone to write in/post on Facebook the SAME proposal. The united front on FB so far has had an effect. The topic has been talked over, chewed around and moaned about long enough now let's make a plan for the next course of action.

If someone else has a better idea it would be useful to have a solid proposal to make comparisons then, if someone more eloquent than I can suggest some suitable wording, we can get the campaign moving.

Just an idea.

Mumsy.

although some may disagree, I don't think that the majority of wine lovers would have any issue with paying a reasonable corkage fee for any bottle they bring on over the limit of one per person whether it be coming on board or in ports. I think a simple strategy is to simply say that. (?)

Certainly I included this as a suggestion in my emails;) That will keep them 'standardized' and for those for whom it's important, they can still do it.

for those who it doesn't affect - it will have no impact on them at all:D

I would agree with the corkage fee, as long as we could bring in from the ports a reasonable amount of wine. As allowed by Princess.

exactly:D I think the ports are the concern for some of us at least that do like wines in other countries:D

although some may disagree, I don't think that the majority of wine lovers would have any issue with paying a reasonable corkage fee for any bottle they bring on over the limit of one per person whether it be coming on board or in ports. I think a simple strategy is to simply say that. (?)

Certainly I included this as a suggestion in my emails;) That will keep them 'standardized' and for those for whom it's important, they can still do it.

for those who it doesn't affect - it will have no impact on them at all:D

I personally think that is a very valid option and one that I would not be the least bit surprised to see HAL follow through with but like any big Corporation the Bean Counters and White Shirts in Seattle need to have 50+ meetings to discuss then meeting to discus the notes from those meetings :rolleyes:. The one thing that leads to being it could happen is that Princess did this and basically over the past few years if Princess does it HAL soon follows (with only a few exceptions) ;)

I personally think that is a very valid option and one that I would not be the least bit surprised to see HAL follow through with but like any big Corporation the Bean Counters and White Shirts in Seattle need to have 50+ meetings to discuss then meeting to discus the notes from those meetings :rolleyes:. The one thing that leads to being it could happen is that Princess did this and basically over the past few years if Princess does it HAL soon follows (with only a few exceptions) ;)

too funny Lisa and probably too true:D I honestly think this would make most happy who are true wine lovers. :D

To me and I think many others from what I have seen in posts, this would be a happy medium point.

I agree with one bottle per person,per port,and with a reasonable corkage corkage for bottles over that.Perhaps if HAL's wines were more attractive both by price and quality people wouldn't want to bring extra on board.

Having said that we are happy to drink HAL wine at dinner,but enjoy our own in our stateroom.We have found that we don't bring wine on board every port,but it is nice to have the option available to us.

Richard

I'd like to see HAL revise this policy, especially along the lines of allowing one bottle per person brought aboard in port.

What I don't get at all, is why I should have to pay ANY corkage fee for a bottle which I am corking myself and enjoying on my balcony.

Why would anybody think that it's fair to pay $15 for a fairly nice bottle of wine and then another $20 corkage. No way!

It's a different story if you're taking it to a bar or restaurant, but that's in line with the old policy anyway. That's fair and should be charged corkage.

There has been suggestion that people fill up and take their own wine to bars/restaurants. The staff should police this more if that's an issue. Me, I can't see that happening much, surely? If it is, they should deal with the problem at source.

I don't agree with the Princess corkage policy. It especially does not work for us as we always pack a box of wine in our hold baggage. I have noticed over time, a fair amount of snobbery regarding boxed wine from a few people on this forum. Just saying. It's true. We pack this for practical and safety reasons. No breakage, no porter, no delay, no fuss, and fits in the mini fridge. How would HAL handle this in terms of corkage?

As far as I'm concerned this change is just taking away that all important freedom of choice.

I've avoided most of the other mainstream cruise lines for years mainly, but not solely, for this reason. I don't want to feel like a sheep being herded into a pen:(

The bottom line is that I DON'T WANT TO PAY TO OPEN AND ENJOY MY OWN ONE BOTTLE OF WINE IN MY STATEROOM!!

What next, an underwear tax?:eek::D

I'd like to see HAL revise this policy, especially along the lines of allowing one bottle per person brought aboard in port.

What I don't get at all, is why I should have to pay ANY corkage fee for a bottle which I am corking myself and enjoying on my balcony.

Why would anybody think that it's fair to pay $15 for a fairly nice bottle of wine and then another $20 corkage. No way!

It's a different story if you're taking it to a bar or restaurant, but that's in line with the old policy anyway. That's fair and should be charged corkage.

There has been suggestion that people fill up and take their own wine to bars/restaurants. The staff should police this more if that's an issue. Me, I can't see that happening much, surely? If it is, they should deal with the problem at source.

I don't agree with the Princess corkage policy. It especially does not work for us as we always pack a box of wine in our hold baggage. I have noticed over time, a fair amount of snobbery regarding boxed wine from a few people on this forum. Just saying. It's true. We pack this for practical and safety reasons. No breakage, no porter, no delay, no fuss, and fits in the mini fridge. How would HAL handle this in terms of corkage?

As far as I'm concerned this change is just taking away that all important freedom of choice.

I've avoided most of the other mainstream cruise lines for years mainly, but not solely, for this reason. I don't want to feel like a sheep being herded into a pen:(

The bottom line is that I DON'T WANT TO PAY TO OPEN AND ENJOY MY OWN ONE BOTTLE OF WINE IN MY STATEROOM!!

What next, an underwear tax?:eek::D

Richard, while I understand how you feel, the bottom line is that HAL is a mainstream line now. So, I honestly feel that the best we are going to do is to as far as bringing wine on board in ports is to pay a corkage fee.

Does it mean I like it? Of course not. No one likes change. Will I compare more? Of course. apples to apples so to speak.

But, I think this was inevitable sooner or later. the corkage fee is a fair compromise between HAL's 'no wine in ports rule' and wine lovers 'we want to bring wine on in ports desire'.

this is just my opinion, but I think it is a fair compromise for everyone;)

Archived