Aussies Shafted again in Explore 4 offer

We are booked on a Holland America 22 day cruise in June 2014 and have received a $350 OBC plus dinner at Pinnacle Grill and 2 other benefits which we have no use for. After putting in some different countries into HALs website IF WE LIVED IN Cameroon,Spain,Slovenia,United Arab Emirates and Great Britain to name a few, guess what WE WOULD RECEIVE THE SIGNATURE BEVERAGE PACKAGE WHICH IS $100 PER DAY PER CABIN.

DO THE MATHS! We have emailed HALs head office in Seattle asking them why is it that Australians aren't getting the same deal. When we board the ship are Aussies drinks going to be cheaper,are we paying vastly less for our cruise (comparing to cost in usa what we are paying is around $200 cheaper but their fare includes the $100 per day offer),are excursions for Aussies going to be cheaper, will we be upgraded before all the others,maybe they will let Aussies board the ship with cases of wine instead of 1-2 bottles they allow now. OF COURSE NOT SO WHY ISN,T THE OFFER GIVEN TO AUSTRALIANS. You may be able to tell that I am so angry about this. We will see IF we get a reply, hopefully we may hear something in the next few days.

My main point is that once again we Aussies are treated differently. Why should the offer not apply to us. Next time it may be a free upgrade offer are we just going to say oh well it doesn't matter if we're the only country that an offer didn't apply to.

My main point is that what suits one doesn't suit another. I know some people who don't drink, and it's been readily seen on other posts here, and they'd very likely prefer the offer we get.

It's true it's different. But different isn't automatically better or worse in this case.

And would you honestly consume $100 worth of alcohol a day?

The $100 is actually per cabin, so $50/per person.

That said, the lines price these to cover above average consumption to make sure they're ahead - although as it's unlimited* you could well drink more than the regular cost of those items too.

The $100 is actually per cabin, so $50/per person.

That said, the lines price these to cover above average consumption to make sure they're ahead - although as it's unlimited* you could well drink more than the regular cost of those items too.

Nonsense!

$50 pp per day drinks for 22 days = $1100 pp added Value.

$300 cruise discount for Aussies 22 days = $13pp value and a short fall of $37 pp per day offered to others!

No justification in this at all otherwise the offer would be "For All" and include Aussies!

We are booked on a Holland America 22 day cruise in June 2014 and have received a $350 OBC plus dinner at Pinnacle Grill and 2 other benefits which we have no use for. After putting in some different countries into HALs website IF WE LIVED IN Cameroon,Spain,Slovenia,United Arab Emirates and Great Britain to name a few, guess what WE WOULD RECEIVE THE SIGNATURE BEVERAGE PACKAGE WHICH IS $100 PER DAY PER CABIN.

DO THE MATHS! We have emailed HALs head office in Seattle asking them why is it that Australians aren't getting the same deal. When we board the ship are Aussies drinks going to be cheaper,are we paying vastly less for our cruise (comparing to cost in usa what we are paying is around $200 cheaper but their fare includes the $100 per day offer),are excursions for Aussies going to be cheaper, will we be upgraded before all the others,maybe they will let Aussies board the ship with cases of wine instead of 1-2 bottles they allow now. OF COURSE NOT SO WHY ISN,T THE OFFER GIVEN TO AUSTRALIANS. You may be able to tell that I am so angry about this. We will see IF we get a reply, hopefully we may hear something in the next few days.

Gotta love those Resident Rates. The cruiselines aren't only discriminating against Australians. Cruisers in California cannot get Resident rates available for other states. I'm in Ontario, California, USA.

Wonder if there is some odd Australian law that they are not allowed to give away alcohol packages? In the US, Texas has some odd laws about how alcohol is served onboard at embark and restricts the amount being brought back by it's citizens.

We have met many cruisers from Australia and New Zealand. They say cruising the Mexican Riviera (from California) is a much cheaper option for them.

Nonsense!

$50 pp per day drinks for 22 days = $1100 pp added Value.

$300 cruise discount for Aussies 22 days = $13pp value and a short fall of $37 pp per day offered to others!

No justification in this at all otherwise the offer would be "For All" and include Aussies!

lol. You're putting your personal preferences on top of others.

It's far from nonsense.

Obviously if you like a lot of drinks you'll save a lot with that offer.

But if you don't drink a lot or at all it'll be useless to you.

That aint nonsense, so how you try to claim because you have one preference that it benefits everyone when it doesn't is the nonsense!

Gotta love those Resident Rates. The cruiselines aren't only discriminating against Australians. Cruisers in California cannot get Resident rates available for other states. I'm in Ontario, California, USA.

Wonder if there is some odd Australian law that they are not allowed to give away alcohol packages? In the US, Texas has some odd laws about how alcohol is served onboard at embark and restricts the amount being brought back by it's citizens.

We have met many cruisers from Australia and New Zealand. They say cruising the Mexican Riviera (from California) is a much cheaper option for them.

There isn't any Australian law restricting the sale or giving away of alcohol packages. We have a law on Responsible Service of Alcohol that restricts the sale of alcohol to people who are clearly drunk. P&O quotes this law as a justification for not allowing people to take any alcoholic beverages on board.

We are currently in a resort in Bali. Upmarket and the same price as a luxury cruise. We are booked in a club room so free alcohol between 4 and 7pm. Just four drinks (2 each ) at the price the resort charges, is over $100. So very easy to spend this amount at cruise ship prices on holidays esp when taxes and compulsory service charges are applied.

Just a few questions for you. What are the other benefits that are of no interest to you? How much is the dinner worth? And would you honestly consume $100 worth of alcohol a day?

The other 2 parts of the offer are reduced deposit and reduced fares for 3rd and 4th guests. Both of these we have no use for.

Just a few questions for you. What are the other benefits that are of no interest to you? How much is the dinner worth? And would you honestly consume $100 worth of alcohol a day?

In regard to the drinks a few coffees,cocktails,wines or beers each day adds up pretty quickly. The dinner at Pinnacle Grill costs around $25 per person. We went to Pinnacle Grill on our last Europe cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam and really enjoyed it so we look forward to going there again.

Again I point out that my main point is that for some reason Australians miss out again on deals offered in a lot of other countrys around the world. Why do we miss out?

We can't even get the OBC. We were in the process of booking 2 cruises in Sth America. Both are eligible on the U.S. site but not so in Australia. We asked to see a list of cruises that do qualify, but there isn't one. This is huge difference over 33 days. So it's more than just the drinks package that we lose in Australia.

I would be very interested to hear of any response you may receive from HAL.

HAL have said that the Australian pricing reflects and responds to local market conditions and stand by what they have released throughout the world. It's a pity Royal Carribean don't have a similar itinerary because we would be changing to them straight away if they did. Very disappointed with HAL, this may well be our last cruise with them.

HAL have said that the Australian pricing reflects and responds to local market conditions and stand by what they have released throughout the world. It's a pity Royal Carribean don't have a similar itinerary because we would be changing to them straight away if they did. Very disappointed with HAL, this may well be our last cruise with them.

A number of years ago we complained to HAL as our US based neighbours on our cruise paid less than half, same category, +OBC etc.

Below the reply

Holland America Line requires that all guests residing in Great Britain, Australia, and the Euro area of Europe book in their local currency with an authorized Holland America sales agent in their country of residence, or directly with Holland America Line. Cross-border and cross-currency bookings are prohibited. Guests who book a future cruise while on board are required to make all payments in the appropriate currency for their country of residence. One benefit of booking with an Australia-based operator is that, should anything go wrong with your agency, you can easily seek recompense through a number of options such as Australia’s Travel Compensation Fund or the Australian Federation of Travel Agents. Nevertheless, we do regret any inconvenience or difficulty resulting from this policy.

We acknowledge that it is improbable that you will cruise with us again, and we will miss you, but we certainly hope that no matter the cruise line you choose to sail with in the future, you experience safe and enjoyable vacations at sea.

Special Advisor

Office of the President

They got that right, we'll never cruise with HAL again:mad:

Wow, that's an "interesting" response to say the least. Let's summarise...

"Dear Valued Past Passenger, sorry you don't like the fact that you have to book in your own country and don't get the same offers of those in other countries. We won't be changing our policies but it was nice knowing you and thanks for your hard earned dollars. If you won't sail with us, we'll find someone else who will. Love HAL xx"

Sound about right? :D

What a cop out of a reply from HAL and certainly not conducive to developing loyalty.

If I received the same response to a complaint to any company I would be taking my business elsewhere as you have indicated.

Thanks for agreeing, obviously they never heard of travel insurance in case of companies going out of business. Just excuses to charge considerable more to unimportant people from unimportant lands.

I see you have Antarctica on the wish list. Must say it was a marvellous experience, not too cold, we had snow 1 day but walking with penguins, being very close to sea lions, landing a couple of times a day on the continent was a never to be forgotten experience. :)

Just received an email from HAL head office in Seattle which has the same response as that from Sydney. They're not going to change their mind on anything. We will continue on with this cruise only because the itinerary is amazing but after this one I think that is it for cruises with HAL. They have blocked Aussies from going through USA websites which could save us money then give us offers far less in value to those offered overseas.Pathetic!

Wow, that's an "interesting" response to say the least. Let's summarise...

"Dear Valued Past Passenger, sorry you don't like the fact that you have to book in your own country and don't get the same offers of those in other countries. We won't be changing our policies but it was nice knowing you and thanks for your hard earned dollars. If you won't sail with us, we'll find someone else who will. Love HAL xx"

Sound about right? :D

100% correct. I omitted the person's name from my post, don't want to be reprimanded by CC, but kept the email just to remind myself and friends in case we consider a cruise with HAL.

Plenty of fantastic cruise liners to choose from without this attitude:p

Thanks for agreeing, obviously they never heard of travel insurance in case of companies going out of business. Just excuses to charge considerable more to unimportant people from unimportant lands.

Yes. This is exactly right. We do not need the so called "protection" of the TA

industry as long as Insurance is taken out. It's such a cop out.

Archived