Aussies Shafted again in Explore 4 offer

I've complained bitterly in the past to HAL about their booking conditions for Aussies, both through my TA and directly and it has done me no good. I am now booked on a 24 night Med cruise departing in a few days because the itinerary was so great but this cruise I decided to book directly with HAL because I got no extra benefit by booking through a TA - and wasn't charged a merchants fee for paying by credit card either.

Since booking my fare has dropped by over 30% and HAL has honoured those drops as soon as I contacted them and for the first time I was offered an upsell which I ignored. I also received OBC when I asked for it and I have just received confirmation that that I had a free upgrade from a CA Spa ocean view to a VQ Spa verandah (8 categories according to their fare structure but to me only means going from an ocean view to a verandah). I have received exactly the same booking conditions as US passengers.

I'm glad I didnt let past disappointments in HAL's booking conditions put me off booking this cruise. I don't know of another cruise line currently, as a solo traveller that I could end up with a balcony cabin for less than A$190 per day on a cruise ship only 2 years old.

I will continue to complain when I feel I am unfairly disadvantaged as an Aussie but in this case I have to admit I have got a great outcome.:D

Since booking my fare has dropped by over 30% and HAL has honoured those drops as soon as I contacted them and for the first time I was offered an upsell which I ignored. I also received OBC when I asked for it and I have just received confirmation that that I had a free upgrade from a CA Spa ocean view to a VQ Spa verandah (8 categories according to their fare structure but to me only means going from an ocean view to a verandah). I have received exactly the same booking conditions as US passengers.

Congratulations on the up-grade. We had a spa verandah suite for out first Caribbean cruise. It was very nice. :D We booked it, it wasn't an up-grade.

Yes. This is exactly right. We do not need the so called "protection" of the TA

industry as long as Insurance is taken out. It's such a cop out.

Travel Insurance will not protect you from a falling dollar ... ;)

Congratulations on the upgrade and OBC Bescotti - sometimes you get lucky; othertimes not. In your case, a great outcome.

Nanaof2, who did you go to Antarctica with? We were in the Arctic (Tromso - Svalbard - Iceland) on Silversea's expedition ship and it was amazing. We were on and off the ship in zodiacs so could get pretty close to the polar bears on the ice and also had a lot of landings.

Unfortunately SS seem to have had a bit of a problem with food standards recently on one ship :p

Travel Insurance will not protect you from a falling dollar ... ;)

And neither does IATA. ;)

But you can pre load certain credit cards with USD and hedge the currencies if you know what you're doing.

Hey Aussieflyer. My cruise app says 7 months 7 days 0 hours! Which is quite pleasing to look at by a swimming pool in sunny Bali. yzypymym.jpg

Congratulations on the upgrade and OBC Bescotti - sometimes you get lucky; othertimes not. In your case, a great outcome.

Nanaof2, who did you go to Antarctica with? We were in the Arctic (Tromso - Svalbard - Iceland) on Silversea's expedition ship and it was amazing. We were on and off the ship in zodiacs so could get pretty close to the polar bears on the ice and also had a lot of landings.

Unfortunately SS seem to have had a bit of a problem with food standards recently on one ship :p

Heard about SS problems with food, should not happen with such an upmarket cruise line or any cruise ship.

We went with Lindblad National Geographic Explorer.

I see that the current price includes flights from Miami, so us from Oz should get a reduction. Mainly American guests, very casual.

We did not think the food was as good as expected considering the cost per day, few choices, but we were there for the experience, not for a gourmet dining.

Did couple of zodiac trips a day, luckily we had good weather, zooming round icebergs, seals sunning themselves on ice floats etc, was amazing.

If you like some more detailed info nanacruising at hotmail dot com:)

Thanks for the info nanaof2. If I had half a brain I would have noticed your signature line :o

When we get serious I may contact you - I have a couple of cruises in the pipeline at present and given the price of Antarctica....

We were looking at Lindblad, SS or L'Austral (whatever the French line is called). Certainly want the zodiac experience not a cruise by. We flew over the pack ice and saw the continent when we flew from Sydney to J'burg a few years ago. Planes take a great circle to miss the head winds. It was a long flight but interesting to see the ice.

Well, it's roughly half their market, and where most came from, so pretty understandable...

As told to me by Princess Customer Relations, some years ago, when I raised the issue.

I see that the current price includes flights from Miami, so us from Oz should get a reduction.

Thats a good reminder for Australians and NZers. If you see a cruise advertised State side that includes Free Air, make sure your TA , makes the appropriate deduction in their quote. Mainly happens with top of the range cruise lines . We did a Regent Seven Seas cruise that included free air and that was deducted from the quote .

Sometimes you will be told that the quoted price includes the deduction ,and if so go into an American site and check. Its not always the case.:eek:

Just received an email from HAL head office in Seattle which has the same response as that from Sydney. They're not going to change their mind on anything. We will continue on with this cruise only because the itinerary is amazing but after this one I think that is it for cruises with HAL. They have blocked Aussies from going through USA websites which could save us money then give us offers far less in value to those offered overseas.Pathetic!

Thanks for reporting back.

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked on a Holland America 22 day cruise in June 2014 and have received a $350 OBC plus dinner at Pinnacle Grill and 2 other benefits which we have no use for. After putting in some different countries into HALs website IF WE LIVED IN Cameroon,Spain,Slovenia,United Arab Emirates and Great Britain to name a few, guess what WE WOULD RECEIVE THE SIGNATURE BEVERAGE PACKAGE WHICH IS $100 PER DAY PER CABIN.

DO THE MATHS! We have emailed HALs head office in Seattle asking them why is it that Australians aren't getting the same deal. When we board the ship are Aussies drinks going to be cheaper,are we paying vastly less for our cruise (comparing to cost in usa what we are paying is around $200 cheaper but their fare includes the $100 per day offer),are excursions for Aussies going to be cheaper, will we be upgraded before all the others,maybe they will let Aussies board the ship with cases of wine instead of 1-2 bottles they allow now. OF COURSE NOT SO WHY ISN,T THE OFFER GIVEN TO AUSTRALIANS. You may be able to tell that I am so angry about this. We will see IF we get a reply, hopefully we may hear something in the next few days.

We are Aussies on a 29 day April cruise, also shafted. We are travelling with American friends, we all get the Pinnacle dinner but they get the $100 per day per cabin beverage package and we get $300 On Board Credit. What a difference! We too have emailed the president & CEO of HAL claiming discrimination to Australians. I don't believe the fare has increased for Americans aloneas has been claimed, it is more likely to have increased across the board. It puts you off cruising with HAL again for sure. They will have lost a lot of customers over this but it will take a while for it to show on their books. Let us know if you get an answer and I will do likewise.

We can't even get the OBC. We were in the process of booking 2 cruises in Sth America. Both are eligible on the U.S. site but not so in Australia. We asked to see a list of cruises that do qualify, but there isn't one. This is huge difference over 33 days. So it's more than just the drinks package that we lose in Australia.

Hi

I would tell the agent that if he can't get the Explore 4 package (lousy as it is compared to the USA one) that I will book with someone who will match it. Not good enough! The cruises that qualify in the states should qualify here. I have emailed HAL HO protesting about discrimination. It would be good if all Aussies did the same, they might get a sense of the dissatisfaction here.

• 1 month later...

After several months of emails and calls from our TA after my original complaint to the President & CEO, the rather offhand response is the same. They couldn't give a dime (and that is putting it politely).

We are going to check out whether we will lose any money by cancelling our 29 day April cruise, as a protest about discrimination. It is not that we are big drinkers, far from it but a principle is involved. Our TA says it is causing a lot of dissatisfaction and we can understand that.

It is a pity Princess don't have more interesting itineraries as apparently they are fairer, even though they are both under the Carnival banner.

There isn't any Australian law restricting the sale or giving away of alcohol packages. We have a law on Responsible Service of Alcohol that restricts the sale of alcohol to people who are clearly drunk. P&O quotes this law as a justification for not allowing people to take any alcoholic beverages on board.

Lol "responsible service of alcohol" anyone travelling on any of the two dayers on any line would know there is absolutely no sticking to that rule onboard". Obviously P & O thinks you must get drunker on your own alcohol than their alcohol...

Sue

Lol "responsible service of alcohol" anyone travelling on any of the two dayers on any line would know there is absolutely no sticking to that rule onboard". Obviously P & O thinks you must get drunker on your own alcohol than their alcohol...

Sue

Drinking their alcohol is more responsibly profitable for them.

Sue

So it is time for the police and state licensing authorities to do something about it. Time to enforce the 'Responsible Service of Alcohol Regulations.' Enough is enough.

The cruiselines won't enforce the policy, booze is a cash cow on the ships, of course they want you to purchase theirs and not byo.

We were also not allowed to partake of the free cruise offer Princess has made Giving the cost of your booked cruise back (less port fees) so you could book another cruise within 14 months over 7 days long with the money they give back I asked the Australian office about it and after the first message saying it was rubbish I have heard no more.:(:(

We always book Celebrity through a US TA. Nobody seems to have a problem with Australians booking this way, and we are treated just the same as any US customer (except for the occasional state-based discount) We pay the same fares.

Cruised Alaska in July and benefited from the 1-2-3 go promotion. Free unlimited drinks package.

We will be keeping our eye out for a similar offer before we book our next cruise. Early in the new year seems to be a good time for promotions.

And the Celebrity ships are just beautiful: modern, tasteful, light and spacious.

Archived