Some improvements I would make to food service

POF

Maybe Indy this past January was really on top of its game, but I didn't think the eggs were bad. I had eggs every morning (not much else I could have due to dietary restrictions). They usually had one thing of normal scrambled eggs and one of scrambled eggs with mix-ins, like cheese or bell peppers or tomatoes.

My biggest complaint is that I noticed, at least in the windjammer on Indy, some of the salad bar stuff was different depending on which side of the windjammer you went to. Sometimes it was annoying building my whole salad only to realize that this side didn't have sprouts, but the other side did... Then I'd walk all the way to the other side to get my sprouts! They also had the radishes in a weird section. It was totally fine, because I liked to look at basically every single thing anyway (despite eating only salad for lunch anyway). But the placement of items was sometimes just inconsistent :(

I also wish they labeled what the sushi was in the windjammer in the evenings... I only ate the ones that were very easily identifiable (and usually vegetable, like avocado or cucumber rolls), but I wish there was a sign labeling the fish rolls. There was one that looked like smoked salmon, but as I cannot eat shellfish or certain kinds of regular fish, it would have been nice to know!

You all really made my day. First time cruiser posts ideas from the cruise. Posters chime in, OP comes back and posts again and not one single snarky remark!

Bless y'all, you've restored my faith in humanity.

What a breath of fresh air on a hot sticky night!!!

I think the problem with the rolls and the weird texture of the nacho chips is the sea air. We are fortunate enough to have a beach house in New England - and I have a tough time with keeping some things fresh in the summer.

Sea air maybe, but drafts are definite problems for soft-crusted bakery. A covered tray with a rack over a damp towel on one of the hot tables would do the best of them, but that's probably more complicated than it's really worth, compared to just trying to keep only small lots out there.

I did like the biscuits... they were thin and hockey puck like - but I found them quite to my liking ..... ( DH thinks I am crazy ) .

Stands up to the gravy better that way. :)

Like what was said by someone else. They have an egg station that cooks eggs to your order. Not sure how you missed it but it is on all ships. Usually one each side.

I don't think they have the omelet/egg station on Oasis/Allure in the WJ or so some have said.

The solution to the roll problem:

Do what I do.

Eat the burger/hot dog without a roll. White bread is bad for you anyway. :D :D

A woman after my own heart.

In Johhny rockets you can get the burger on whole wheat.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Do what I do.

Not a bad idea, but how do you hold all the fixings together? :confused: I like my burgers sloppy, with ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions, lettuce, tomatoes. :eek:

The eggs they use on the made to order omelette bar are the same they use on the buffet the difference is the way they are prepared the ones on the buffet are steamed for mass production which is why they taste different. It is a standard practice in food services that do high quanity

One of my food complaints is that I like everything spicy, frequently adding jalapeños to a lot of my food. They aware not always easy to come by on the cruise ships.

I don't know if this would work for you, but they do have lots of tabasco sauce on the ships.

Not a bad idea, but how do you hold all the fixings together? :confused: I like my burgers sloppy, with ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions, lettuce, tomatoes. :eek:

Is this a serious question?

Ok.

You use a fork and a knife.

All I ask of RCCL is one thing.......bring back the vidalia onion tart!! I always looked forward to it being on the menu but sadly, they took it off. I have no idea why since everyone always voiced how great it was.

I also feel the same way about the scallop risotto.

I think the food on RC is very good. I know it is not going to taste exactly like it would in a land-based restaurant where they cook it after I order.

However, I agree that desserts look better than they taste. I wondered if this was cost cutting. For example, a vanilla cake looks perfect --but, has no vanilla taste. [or very little] Most of the chocolate deserts look perfect--but, little taste.

However, it never stops me from eating a dessert.:p

All I ask of RCCL is one thing.......bring back the vidalia onion tart!! I always looked forward to it being on the menu but sadly, they took it off. I have no idea why since everyone always voiced how great it was.

Off the ROS Alaska in May and they had it in the WJ 2 evenings ;)

Also could some yogurts and milk be out in the café promenade. Sometimes I just want a yogurt for a snack....

POF, I so agree. Sometimes you just want a little dairy before going to bed or as an alternative snack during the day.

I wonder if RCI offers free drinks like skim milk and low fat yogurt on its Oasis class ships in the evening besides the ice cream machines. The Windjammer closes at 9 pm. I think the Promenade Cafe only has coffees and water.

Has anyone ever eaten at the Solarium Cafe? Nobody ever mentions it in reviews except to mention that some things are at an additional charge like smoothies. I'd like to know if it's worth a stop by and what's good there. But then it's only open during the day.

And does anyone know if the Wipe Out Cafe buffet and Park Cafe offers free drinks and dairy products during lunch and in the afternoon? I assume they do during breakfast.

I would love to see a small section of the WJ open late and serving breakfast type items or any place for that matter...love those breakfast foods late at night.

Also I would hire someone that knows a lot more about how to make good desserts (gelatin based no thanks :()...RCI only cares about what they "look" like...I want taste....Any good baker's especially from the South want a job ?

Two excellent points, Ashland. I don't understand all the emphasis on those gelatin-based desserts. And breakfast foods after a night of partying and dancing is a tradition in many parts of the US. They only reason Denny's stays in business is because of their late night breakfasts.

I don't think they have the omelet/egg station on Oasis/Allure in the WJ or so some have said.

I think someone said it's there is one at the Wipeout Cafe on the Allure. I'm going in October and plan to check it out. Will report back.

Do what I do.

That way you have room for for one of each? And by all means use your bare hands to eat them and wipe your face with the table cloth when you are finished? :D

Overall, I believe RCI does a great job with breads and rolls. Love those little crusty, nutty bites in the MDR. What do they call them?

That way you have room for for one of each? And by all means use your bare hands to eat them and wipe your face with the table cloth when you are finished? :D

Overall, I believe RCI does a great job with breads and rolls. Love those little crusty, nutty bites in the MDR. What do they call them?

Savory bites.

How about whipping yourself up some nachos by chopping up the meat as the base for the condiments and serving it with chips? But then that would be introducing a fried food and cancelling out the advantage of getting rid of the white bread?

Only we Americans make eating such a high tech affair.

Archived