Explorer out of Bayonne

For those of you who have cruised Explorer out of Bayonne... For how long do you see land once you are underway? I watched her leave this afternoon and am tracking her progress on one of the tracking sites and it appears as though you would still be able to see Long Island almost 3 hours after she left Cape Liberty Port. The reason for my question and obsessive tracking is that we will be sailing Explorer to Bermuda next Saturday. (So excited! Our first cruise in 7 years!) Thank you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You will not be able to see the land when you get much more than 15-16 miles out to sea. This is basically due to the curve of the Earth. It can be less due to atomospheric conditions such as clouds, fog, rain, etc.

Our last cruise was on Explorer to Bermuda. You are in for a great cruise. As you set sail, it is a beautiful site with the Statue of Liberty right there and the new towers in the distance along with the NY skyline. As the previous poster noted, I seem to recall being able to see land for a couple hours at most. They take it slow and it takes a little while to go under the bridge and out to sea.

I live at the beach at the Jersey Shore. I can see cruise ships passing by all the time. They are pretty far out, but I can still see them. (I can distinguish the NCL ships from other lines, by the designs painted on the sides) Some sail further out than others, and those I can't see.

You have some time to enjoy the shore on the way out.

We sailed in early December for a 12 night so it was inky black when we watched. We followed the lights of Manhattan as long as we could, then the bridge and Jersey Shore. For a moment we turned our backs to talk about onboard plans and POOF, land was gone.

The best?

The sky was filled with millions more stars. It was glorious.

I have been on the Explorer 5 times, and live on the Jersey Shore...

After the Bridge, you will see coney Island very well, then Jones beach, and will be able to follow the coastline on LI for a little while longer...the ship does not parallel LI, but angles off more to the jersey Shore...LI will vanish off the horizon.....never see the entire coastline, just maybe 1/4th...

I can follow the Jersey Shore much better, well below Asbury, and can see my neighborhood...then it too fades over the horizon, off on the starboard side....

If you are on the 9 night carib., then the Explorer hugs the NJ coastline a lot closer on the return to Bayonne.. I can pick out every building - landmark in Asbury Park without binoculars....

I've been out on those waters fishing as long back as I can remember...there is a lot of shipping traffic out there...the ambrose light is the marker, and the entrance to the NY harbor. It is especially fun to look for it, being a historical landmark (?).....I remember the captain once saying during an announcement the day before arrival at Bayonne, that we should reach "Ambrose"

by 6am...that got me excited...I wondered how many others on the ship knew what he was talking about....

Most Important...bring your binoculars....I never cruise without mine....

I remember the captain once saying during an announcement the day before arrival at Bayonne, that we should reach "Ambrose" by 6am...that got me excited...I wondered how many others on the ship knew what he was talking about....

I grew up in Rumson and remember being able to see the old Ambrose light platform!!!

After Coney island you first see Brighton beach, then Manhattan beach - all in Brooklyn - and then the beaches of the Rockaways, which is Queens. Jones Beach is much further east, and as the ship goes south, I would be very surprised if you could see it. There are many beaches on the south shore of Long island before you get to Jones Beach.

I grew up in Rumson and remember being able to see the old Ambrose light platform!!!

Never thought of it, but yes I can see how that would be possible...there and the highlands lookout....

Back in the day the Ambrose light was a anchored ship with a light tower...I believe it's a museum somewhere...

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you who have cruised Explorer out of Bayonne... For how long do you see land once you are underway? I watched her leave this afternoon and am tracking her progress on one of the tracking sites and it appears as though you would still be able to see Long Island almost 3 hours after she left Cape Liberty Port. The reason for my question and obsessive tracking is that we will be sailing Explorer to Bermuda next Saturday. (So excited! Our first cruise in 7 years!) Thank you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on that cruise;) but did not notice how far out you can see land.

Archived