10 Day Mediterranean Cruise

mrskm30

Hi. I have never been on a cruise in my life. About a year ago, my daughter in law's mom (also my friend) told me it was her dream to go on a cruise. I like to enter contests, so I told her I would start entering for cruise trips. About two weeks ago I found out that I had won a 10 day Mediterranean cruise from Oceania. When I told my friend, she was so happy she cried. We are both so excited but absolutely clueless on how a cruise vacation works.

So I have a ton of questions, and I hope you all will be willing to help me so that we can have the best time, the time of her dreams, which is why I did all this to begin with :)

Let me preface my questions with some quick info: I won a cruise certificate for $6,398 to be used towards a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise. We know NOTHING about cruise ships or how they work. We are both on budgets and have very modest incomes so we can't afford to pay for extras or fees that aren't absolutely necessary.

1.) On Oceania cruise ships, it appears there are no 'buffets' for meals which is what we thought all cruises had. We saw that there are all kinds of 5 star restaurants. Is eating in these restaurants included in the cost of the cruise?

2.) Is airfare always included in the cost of the cruise?

3.) What are excursions and do you have to pay for them all the time? Can you just get off at the ports and walk around or is an excursion something we should/must do?

4.) Do the ships have phones to be used to call home (we both have families we will need to stay in contact with) and do they charge to use them?

5.) If the ships have WIFI do you have to pay to use it?

6.) What should we expect to bring wardrobe-wise on the ship?

7.) What is an indoor stateroom and is there really such a big deal about being inside the boat vs outside on the deck as far as rooms go?

I know there will be more questions but this is a start. Thank you to anyone who can help us and I look forward to reading your posts.

K

Let me preface my questions with some quick info: I won a cruise certificate for $6,398 to be used towards a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise. We know NOTHING about cruise ships or how they work. We are both on budgets and have very modest incomes so we can't afford to pay for extras or fees that aren't absolutely necessary.

What is the source of the certificate?

There are many 'gotcha' deals like that out there.. I do hope yours is legit.

1.) On Oceania cruise ships, it appears there are no 'buffets' for meals which is what we thought all cruises had. We saw that there are all kinds of 5 star restaurants. Is eating in these restaurants included in the cost of the cruise?

All meals and non-alcoholic drinks are included on Oceania's ships. The Terrace Cafe is a self-service restaurant with several food stations, not cafeteria style.

3.) What are excursions and do you have to pay for them all the time? Can you just get off at the ports and walk around or is an excursion something we should/must do?

You have to pay for all excurions offered by the ship. They usually include a bus, sometimes a meal, and always a guide. You can, however, walk off the ship on your own at no extra cost.

4.) Do the ships have phones to be used to call home (we both have families we will need to stay in contact with) and do they charge to use them?

No phones for personal calls

5.) If the ships have WIFI do you have to pay to use it?

Yes

6.) What should we expect to bring wardrobe-wise on the ship?

Comfortable clothes, nothing trashy, no evening gowns.

7.) What is an indoor stateroom and is there really such a big deal about being inside the boat vs outside on the deck as far as rooms go?

No window. Some people don't like this. Others switch on the tv to the ship's outside camera to see the ocean.

K

I hope you will have a great cruise!

The cabins all have direct dial satellite telephones - these will however be expensive to use. Better to bring a cellphone and use it ashore or stay in touch with free WiFi ashore via a phone or tablet device. Welcome to Cruise Critic by the way - have a wonderful time.

The cabins all have direct dial satellite telephones - these will however be expensive to use. Better to bring a cellphone and use it ashore or stay in touch with free WiFi ashore via a phone or tablet device. Welcome to Cruise Critic by the way - have a wonderful time.

$6.95 US / min. plus Long distance charges if the call to the ship does not originate in the US (restricted 800 #) .i.e. from Canada

I asked O about the phone when I confirmed they cancelled their unique, thoughtful and wonderful (and underused I am sure) cruise email program. That was big disappointment for me (we all have our quibbles). it was a great service.

We will be giving the phone number for our emergency contact. Expensive but then I do not have to log into internet everyday just to see if I have an emergency (everything else will wait) email. Plus it is only for emergency - unlike the OP I do not need to keep contact with home.

About two weeks ago I found out that I had won a 10 day Mediterranean cruise from Oceania.

Good for you - congratulations!

We know NOTHING about cruise ...

Not too worry. lots of good helpful info here on Cc and i suggest you sue the services of a good travel agent that is familiar with THIS cruise line. They can be very helpful

K

Yes, all dinning venues are all included except for two on the o-class ships (the two new large ones). One is 'Privee', a private dining room that you book the room for a small party for a fee. the other is La Reserve where they offer a wine pairing dinner. It is only available, at extra charge, only several times per cruise.

Personally, I would get on the phone with Oceania, or maybe call an experienced cruise travel agent, and discuss the certificate and all your questions with them.

Cruise Critic is a fun and interesting recreational website but I would not use it as a source of guaranteed trustworthy information. Even if you were able to get a response from someone who has won a cruise, their circumstances may be different from yours, and no one can speak authoritatively for Oceania except Oceania themselves (directly or through a travel agent.)

Apparently, this is a match to what was described as the 'certificate'

Promo through ePrize.

Sweepstakes Prize: ONE (1) GRAND PRIZE: One (1) winner will receive a 10-day cruise aboard an Oceania Cruises, Inc. ship, for two (2) people in one (1) inside cabin assigned, awarded as a cruise certificate. Cruise options will be provided by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Cruise will be confirmed not more than 30 days prior to sailing. Prize does not include airfare, non-discountable fees, federal, state or local taxes, or any other cost or fee associated with prize receipt or use not expressly stated herein. Terms and conditions of certificate apply. Winner and travel companion must travel on same itinerary and are responsible for all necessary travel documents, including, but not limited to, passports and visas. Cruise and cabin are

subject to availability. Approximate retail value ("ARV") is $6,398. Odds of winning the Sweepstakes Prize depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Promotion Period.

If you are concerned about out-of-pocket, you will pay tax on the prize, and apparently airfare and onboard expenses, including gratuities.

First call, as advised above, should be to Oceania for complete and accurate details.

If you are concerned about out-of-pocket, you will pay tax on the prize, and apparently airfare and onboard expenses, including gratuities.

First call, as advised above, should be to Oceania for complete and accurate details.

As O includes airfare in their prices, this may not be a problem. As long as they can find a cruise at (or under) $6400 for 2 people.

As O includes airfare in their prices, this may not be a problem. As long as they can find a cruise at (or under) $6400 for 2 people.

For the OP's sake, I sure hope so... but the T&C's stipulate clearly: "...Prize does not include airfare."

This may be like the typical TA lowball quote on Oceania fares, value quoted with the airfare credits already deducted.

Only the real scoop can be had by the OP calling Oceania on this one.

For the OP's sake, I sure hope so... but the T&C's stipulate clearly: "...Prize does not include airfare."

This may be like the typical TA lowball quote on Oceania fares, value quoted with the airfare credits already deducted.

Only the real scoop can be had by the OP calling Oceania on this one.

You are correct and unfortunately it will be costly for her in the long run..

Jancruz1

You are correct and unfortunately it will be costly for her in the long run..

Jancruz1

Assuming the OP is in the US, don't forget income tax on the value of the prize and that could potentially put her in a higher tax bracket.

Also, the way they value these things is most likely by Oceania's Retail price so she could be hit with approx $1600 in taxes on a cruise that may actually cost in the $3500 range.

Add in airfare, hotel, gratuities, etc. and perhaps for the two of them it could cost as much out of pocket as the actual cruise cost??

Archived