What's your favorite Lido sandwich?

sppunk

We also enjoyed a seafood buffet lunch on Maasdam on a Canada/NE cruise. It was a gorgeous day, we hadn't read the daily program very carefully and were with our friends strolling around deciding whether to have lunch yet. We made our way out to aft pool and what in the world was this??????? They had set up a shellfish, fish, lunch buffet with huge crab claws, chilled mussels, large shrimp, grilled salmon, salad, cole slaw, potato salad, corn on the cob.... OMG, it was delicious. We would have been so disappointed to have missed it and it was only luck we came upon it. We saw that only the once though we have done that itinerary many times.[/quote. ]. I would have loved that.

We also enjoyed a seafood buffet lunch on Maasdam on a Canada/NE cruise. It was a gorgeous day, we hadn't read the daily program very carefully and were with our friends strolling around deciding whether to have lunch yet. We made our way out to aft pool and what in the world was this??????? They had set up a shellfish, fish, lunch buffet with huge crab claws, chilled mussels, large shrimp, grilled salmon, salad, cole slaw, potato salad, corn on the cob.... OMG, it was delicious. We would have been so disappointed to have missed it and it was only luck we came upon it. We saw that only the once though we have done that itinerary many times.[/quote. ]. I would have loved that.

We quickly learned to read the daily program that set out the specialty buffet offered at the Lido for that day when we saw people on our last Rotterdam cruise walking by with huge plates of crab legs and didn't know where they got them. There were other speciality buffets too that were very chow-worthy that went beyond the normal Lido fixed station offerings: German, Indonesian, South East Asian ......

Well, I haven't had homemade ones since I left South Africa where a friend's mom used to make them, so it's store bought in New York too.

Warmed over a steaming cup of coffee.... lekker!

I am really seriously considering trying to make them at home.... I'll let you know how they turn out :)

As to the ones onboard, IIRC they are $1.95 for the two-pack and are good. Better than the ones we got in Curacao on our stroopwafel quest.

I am really seriously considering trying to make them at home.... I'll let you know how they turn out :)

As to the ones onboard, IIRC they are $1.95 for the two-pack and are good. Better than the ones we got in Curacao on our stroopwafel quest.

Stroopwafels are an important part of my life. :p My mom is from Holland, so we always had them (though she never made them homemade:rolleyes:) and now I live near lots of 'dutch shops' where they seem to have a lot of turnover and they are always very fresh.

There were lots of things she did make that I wished they had on HAL.

Stroopwafels are an important part of my life. :p My mom is from Holland, so we always had them (though she never made them homemade:rolleyes:) and now I live near lots of 'dutch shops' where they seem to have a lot of turnover and they are always very fresh.

There were lots of things she did make that I wished they had on HAL.

Every Dutch kid knows about Stroopwafels:) (and looks like the South Africans do also;))

stroopwafel.jpg

Ruth, next time try having them make your grilled cheese on the panini press. It will grill and melt the cheese just like on a griddle, and you get cute stripes on the bread too.

Aloha, I make "sandwiches" with lettuce wraps, or make "quesadillas" with sliced meat, putting the fixings inside and grilling in a pan or the panini press if the sliced meat is thick enough. No bread, few carbs, no gluten.

Have you tried any of the gluten free breads? Some of them are pretty good now, and much easier to find.

Costco carried falafel. Do they have Costco in Canada?

Ruth, next time try having them make your grilled cheese on the panini press. It will grill and melt the cheese just like on a griddle, and you get cute stripes on the bread too.

Aloha, I make "sandwiches" with lettuce wraps, or make "quesadillas" with sliced meat, putting the fixings inside and grilling in a pan or the panini press if the sliced meat is thick enough. No bread, few carbs, no gluten.

Have you tried any of the gluten free breads? Some of them are pretty good now, and much easier to find.

Costco carried falafel. Do they have Costco in Canada?

Yes, they do have Costco in Canada but I gave up my membership. I'll look around here. Good to hear the gluten free bread is getting better. I went to a naturopath a while back and she made me give up bread etc. (gluten )because she thought that was my problem. I love bread so much I want to be buried in a loaf of bread. The gluten free bread was terrible. I'm happy that didn't end up being my problem.

They do "grill" it that way. One of the problems is that since there's no butter or margarine on the bread, it comes out toasted, instead of grilled. Then, to melt the cheese, the sandwich has to stay on the press too long, and the bread is toasted too much.

It's just not a good sandwich. :(

I do too! LOL I love butter lettuce for "wraps" I haven't trie the quesadillas with thick sliced meat. I'll have to try that. I've so missed grilled ham and cheese. I could SO do that! Thanks for the suggestion!

Udi's makes a decent hamburger bun. I've been known to take them to my favorite burger place. I also like Udi's pizzas ;) Which brands have you tried?

They do "grill" it that way. One of the problems is that since there's no butter or margarine on the bread, it comes out toasted, instead of grilled. Then, to melt the cheese, the sandwich has to stay on the press too long, and the bread is toasted too much.

It's just not a good sandwich. :(

I did that once, and it cut up my mouth (toasted bread and I don't get along LOL). The next time I asked them to put butter on the bread and they were willing to do it. :)

Now you've got me curious. How is that different from the typical American style waffle?

Think more like a cookie; they're much thinner than breakfast waffles; Try one on your next ship - Now, I'm not trying to get you to sail on a HAL ship!;)

We normally don't have sandwiches in the Lido..Would rather eat at the Salad Bar, but might try one of the great sandwiches mentioned in this thread when we're on the Ryndam..

quote=Copper10-8;39557173]Store bought; two large stroopwafels in one, primarily white colored, package. Not bad either!;)

Every Dutch kid knows about Stroopwafels:) (and looks like the South Africans do also;))

stroopwafel.jpg

My Grandfather was Dutch & DH's Father was also Dutch but neither of us have ever heard of them.. Will have to try them when we're on the Ryndam..

Do you put Butter & syrup on them or eat them like a cookie..?

When our Son was 15 we drove with him through Belgium & Holland & to this day he tells his kids about the wonderful pannekoeken he had there..

My Goodness we had a very late breakfast today & now we're both hungry again..How am I ever going to lose weight for our cruise? :eek::eek:

Cheers ..Betty

Think more like a cookie; they're much thinner than breakfast waffles; Try one on your next ship - Now, I'm not trying to get you to sail on a HAL ship!;)

This lady not interested in other ships- unless they are powered by a set of rags and the wind (or of course if HAL were to make radical changes and only sail floating resorts). :D. Sure looking forward to cruising again sometime- will look these up then.

I did that once, and it cut up my mouth (toasted bread and I don't get along LOL). The next time I asked them to put butter on the bread and they were willing to do it. :)

Really??? :D I will ask that next time. Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't wanted to put them out that much, but I will once in a while.

I was on a long cruise in January, and by the end I was craving a peanut butter sandwich and glass of chocolate milk. I snagged some peanut butter when it was out at breakfast, and saved it for later. Managed to cobble together what I considered the best lunch all cruise! :D

Really??? :D I will ask that next time. Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't wanted to put them out that much, but I will once in a while.

I was on a long cruise in January, and by the end I was craving a peanut butter sandwich and glass of chocolate milk. I snagged some peanut butter when it was out at breakfast, and saved it for later. Managed to cobble together what I considered the best lunch all cruise! :D

Oh man. I haven't had a peanut butter sandwich in ages! Yuuuuum. When I don't have Faye around, I always sneak some peanuts/peanut butter (usually in the form of candy).

When you just have to have that grilled cheese sandwich, you do what you have to do. LOL

.................Do you put Butter & syrup on them or eat them like a cookie..?

They already have syrup in between the two thin wafers; "stroop" in Dutch means "syrup" and "wafel" means "waffle". They are not as thick as i.e. a Belgian waffle and they are not meant as a breakfast item more like a snack/cookie. As stated, they can be purchased at the Explorations Café counter

Archived