What's your favorite Lido sandwich?

sppunk

We make our own sandwiches generally. We check out what they have on the buffet, i.e., roasted turkey, or grilled fish, or roast, etc., get some bread, salad, vegetables and fruit ... and we are good to go back to our cabin and enjoy it on our balcony with a glass of wine. We skip any premade sandwiches and general luncheon meat kind of items. itm

Isn't it funny how we get into a routine on a ship? We make ice cream runs every afternoon while on the ship. We have ice cream at home but not everyday. Do you have a cruise booked?

Now I fancy mixing it up a bit, I do the ice cream run, hubby does the cookie run, we meet us and put the icecream between the cookies

Messy but yum yum

Montreal Smoked Meat (Brisket) on rye' date=' with mustard and a garlic/dill pickle on the side[/quote']

Ahhhh, Dunn's,,,,,,,, you are tormenting me. I sure could enjoy a great Dunn's smoked meat rueben sandwich from Montreal, right now!!! :)

Now I fancy mixing it up a bit, I do the ice cream run, hubby does the cookie run, we meet us and put the icecream between the cookies

Messy but yum yum

Sounds delicious.

They shrunk the cookies so maybe won't be quite as messy. The cookies are abougt 40% smaller than they used to be. No problem as one can take as many as they wish. :)

Hi Donna! Good to see you here...

The sandwiches are good. I love the chicken salad on a toasted croissant. Actually anything on a toasted croissant. That's one of my guilty pleasures while cruising...at home we eat whole wheat bread only.

Ditto! I've just recently discovered croissant sandwiches and find its just the right amount of fluffy bread not to overwhelm the filling. My guilty pleasure away from home.

Would you believe ... over 200 days with HAL, and I've never had a sandwich onboard. We love a nice, big, hot breakfast - and we totally indulge ourselves in the MDR or Pinnacle at dinner. There is simply no room for anything other than a very light snack at lunchtime. BUT, the sandwiches mentioned here just may get me to change my ways a day or two on our next cruise. Maybe try a light breakfast and an early sandwich lunch - it sounds like I'm missing out on something pretty special.

Donna, they will even make you a half a sandwich. That's what I do. :)

Thanks everyone. :) Im excited for a sandwich, as simple as that sounds! :) I grow tired of heavy meals and have never thought to check out the deli.

I found I had to confine myself to the salad bar at lunch and learned to make a great lo-cal dressing out of a dash of the Indonesian "kacep manis" found at the Asian station or at the tables, and a few drops of olive oil.

Make your own. Chocolate chip cookie topped with bread pudding topped with ice cream and so on. All calorie free of course:cool:

You are wicked!!!

That sounds so outrageously delicious. :D

Sinful.

I happened upon these offerings in my first HAL cruise. I love chicken salad sandwiches and never make it myself, so if I order a sandwich 'out' that's always my go to. I enjoyed it quite a bit and very nice in comparison to the Princess sandwich offerings which are premade wrapped in plastic wrap, which in fairness, I've never bothered to try.

A couple of months ago, when on the Westerdam, I stopped at the sandwich bar and ask for a pastrami sandwich. The sandwich maker (not sure what to call the guy) takes the rye bread and puts 3 or 4 thin slices of meat on the bread. I immediately asked him for more meat and he put another 3 or 4 slices.. At this point I just looked at him and said, 'I want a real pastrami sandwich....the kind I get in a NYC deli." He then put about a half pound of meat on the bread and gave me a big smile. It was the best pastrami sandwich I have ever had on a cruise ship.

Hank

P.S. The man behind me, when he saw the sandwich, quickly said "I want one of those too."

A couple of months ago, when on the Westerdam, I stopped at the sandwich bar and ask for a pastrami sandwich. The sandwich maker (not sure what to call the guy) takes the rye bread and puts 3 or 4 thin slices of meat on the bread. I immediately asked him for more meat and he put another 3 or 4 slices.. At this point I just looked at him and said, 'I want a real pastrami sandwich....the kind I get in a NYC deli." He then put about a half pound of meat on the bread and gave me a big smile. It was the best pastrami sandwich I have ever had on a cruise ship.

Hank

P.S. The man behind me, when he saw the sandwich, quickly said "I want one of those too."

On the Westerdam last December I made the same request but for a Reuben with the responses from the server and five folks behind me exactly the same. It was the best Rueben I have had since leaving New Jersey nearly 20 years ago. Every time I passed the deli counter for the rest of the cruise, I waved and thanked the server. I always got a great smile in return.

It has been my experience that if you ask for anything in the Lido Restaurant, they will do their best to make it happen.

I love soft shell crabs -- have never seen them on any of our cruises.

Which ship had them?

It was the Rhyndam. I had never seen them either and was very excited. I kept looking for them the rest of the two weeks and never saw them again.

It was the Rhyndam. I had never seen them either and was very excited. I kept looking for them the rest of the two weeks and never saw them again.

on the Prinsendam too :D:D

small ships win one more time:)

Oh those room service turkey clubs (extra mayo and cheese please:D) with a side of chocolate cake and ice cold milk....nothing finer;).

OMG!! YES!! When I was pregnant with Jackie I had a "HAVE to have NOW" kind of craving for pineapple. I couldn't find any on board so I called and begged room service (even though they didn't have it listed) and she said she'd call me back in 10 min. Less than 10 min. later room service delivered a HUGE chilled platter of cut up pineapple (in the shape of flowers and hearts), that AMAZING turkey club, and chocolate chip cookies and milk. I was in H-E-A-V-E-N. I will never, ever forget that day. I had a club sandwich every day our shore excursions. Yuuuuum!!

Too bad I've been diagnosed with celiac. A cheese, turkey, and tomato panini would just hit the spot right now.

Prinsendam, at one time, served Dutch Poffertjes (Dutch small, fluffy pancakes) in the Lido; Yup I know, not a sandwich;). Wonder if they still do

The Noordam on last year's 21 day Christmas Holiday Cruise also served them in the Lido. Very yummy!!!!

Archived