Does it matter to you if your cabin is port or starboard?

resstation

On Celebrity the smoking side is on deck 5 on the port side so if you don't want any smoking then pick the starboard side. We discovered that a few cruises back.

As far as scenery we are going to the Eastern mediterrean to include Valetta, Rome, Naples, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens and Ephesus so does anyone know if the starboard side is good for that side.???:p

In a word, no.

Marc

Best answer yet:D. I might possibly avoid port cabins on the floor directly over the smoking areas, but other than that I don't think it matters all that much. If you need sun and the sun is not on your balcony, do what we used to do in the good ole days when balconies were rare - get off your behind and go find a sunny spot. Same goes for shade. As for sightseeing, ships are usually so far out away from land that even if you are cruising down a coastline (Alaska, Mexico have been my experiences) it matters not. If you see land at all (which is doubtful) it will be vague masses in the far, far distance. Inside Passage is different of course, but in that case there is land on both sides. And as you never know how your ship will dock in port, no preference there. To me the best side of a ship is being on the inside cruising:D:D

On Celebrity the smoking side is on deck 5 on the port side so if you don't want any smoking then pick the starboard side. We discovered that a few cruises back.

As far as scenery we are going to the Eastern mediterrean to include Valetta, Rome, Naples, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens and Ephesus so does anyone know if the starboard side is good for that side.???:p

My TA was able to show me some little thing via the Internet of our cruise course and we booked portside because of that. I do believe for sailing into Venice it's not good. We'll have to go up on top to watch when we sail into Venice.

We were starboard last year. I had no clue but looking back I wish we would have done portside on that cruise. Luckily we were up on the pool deck when we sailed into some of the ports. The Amalfi Coast took my breath away.

My TA was able to show me some little thing via the Internet of our cruise course and we booked portside because of that. I do believe for sailing into Venice it's not good. We'll have to go up on top to watch when we sail into Venice.

We were starboard last year. I had no clue but looking back I wish we would have done portside on that cruise. Luckily we were up on the pool deck when we sailed into some of the ports. The Amalfi Coast took my breath away.

Thanks for the info. We have already been to Venice and we had a starboard side balcony and the view sailing in was awesome. We are not going there this time. Although you can see what you missed on the sail out. Also like I said before the smoking we don't like and we have had previous balconies on the Solstice where the smoke from deck 5 port side drifted up so from now I always try to choose the starboard side.

I hear that Valetta is an awesome port to sail into. Getting excited as it is about 2.5 months to go. Happy sailing..:p:p:p

We also prefer starboard or Aft, but unfortunately on our upcoming cruise the category we wanted they only had Port side available on deck 10. Hopefully we won't smell the smoke from below, but I'm not counting on it. :rolleyes:

We were PORT side once, but forward of mid-ship on deck 11 I believe and we had no issues. (With smoke - the neighbours who let their door slam everytime they came and went are another thread :eek:)

To the OP, it depends on your cruise and the direction you are going - so if you want the sun at certain times then plan for the direction travelling

For your cruise however it will be often overhead and you sail in more than one direction

We normally select starboard to avoid the port smoking but we got port this time as we're doing norway and it was recommended by celebrity to see all the waterfalls without going top deck

Oh believe me. I'm quite the researcher. Smoking is not a huge concern for me, as I used to smoke myself, so I never bothered with that bit of information. If I were still a smoker, I can bet that my choice in cruise lines would depend on the smoking policy.

...And, isn't that the purpose of these boards? To ask questions? I AM "trying to find out as much as I can about the cruise line I'm going to be on". That's why I'm here, asking questions. LOL

Nah, you're supposed to read hundreds of posts and use the search function before you dare ask. ;)

POSH?

We were PORT side once, but forward of mid-ship on deck 11 I believe and we had no issues. (With smoke - the neighbours who let their door slam everytime they came and went are another thread :eek:)

LOL Thanks for the info, I also hate being under the pool area mid ship. I'm a light sleeper and I always get waken up when they clean the deck above and drag all of the deck chairs. My DH can sleep through anything.

Gina

It depends on how many times you have sailed. We always like the starboard side because we are use to that side. When we walk out of our cabin we are ise to having the front of the ship to our right. There have been a few times that we took the port side and it just seemed backwards. We would leave out cabin and end up going the wrong way. It was the same when walking from the stairs, we would always turn toward the wrong hallway. Not a biggy because we would just laugh about it.

Agreed. The first couple of times we sailed we had a port side cabin. One time we stayed on the starboard side and were all confused, never knowing which way the front of the ship was. After that we have always booked port when possible.

Agreed. The first couple of times we sailed we had a port side cabin. One time we stayed on the starboard side and were all confused, never knowing which way the front of the ship was. After that we have always booked port when possible.

Yes, I know what you mean, for us it is the starboard side though.:D

I am so glad that there is limited smoking on Celebrity. I have COPD and wear Oxygen 24/7 so no smoking on the inside really excites me. I have a Starboard concierge cabin and deal with a bit of smoke passing by, however, smoking all around me is not an option. Ex smoker here and that is why I have COPD. :(

We will be on the Silhouette in March. We have the choice of our cabin being on the port or starboard side at the aft of the ship. Should it matter to me which side we are on? We will be in an S1 Sky Suite. Clearly, we will have a mainly aft view but the balcony does afford a view of the side of the ship as well. Happy Cruising!

Yes, port side cabins smell very bad and have bed bugs

Yes, port side cabins smell very bad and have bed bugs

Could you explain this statement. Is this on a particular ship? Are you saying bed bugs know whether a ship side is starboard or port or did you have a problem with a particular room. If that is the case, could you state ship and room number so we can all avoid it?

Could you explain this statement. Is this on a particular ship? Are you saying bed bugs know whether a ship side is starboard or port or did you have a problem with a particular room. If that is the case, could you state ship and room number so we can all avoid it?

Obviously this poster think he's funny.:rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't find the response amusing at all. :mad::mad:

Shocking ! Your cruise creature knowledge is so bad :-(

Of course bed bugs know which side of the ship they're on and if they somehow stray to starboard they pop straight back over to port without giving the starboard passengers any strife.

I can't give you any cabin numbers. It is all port cabins that smell and have bed bugs on all Celebrity ships.

I hope that's helpful :-)

Happy Cruising

Archived