Freedom Dining across the Fleet from 2014

Bruce62

Not seen this mentioned before so I thought I would post.

Having just booked for Oct 14 on Oriana, I was surprised to get an option for Freedom Dining when making my booking. On further investigation, Oriana, Aurora, and Arcadia will all be introducing Freedom Dining during the next year.

The only ship that isn't mentioned is Adonia.

Edited by BJHdunmow
speeling mistak

P&O introduced this a few months ago with varying dates across the fleet other than Adonia. We changed our World Cruise booking to freedom dining as this meets our requirements better than fixed dining.

Sue

Adonia only has the only small MDR so it is not practical to introduce Freedom dining on her, but yes - one restaurant in all the other ships is being made Freedom dining (one level on Arcadia).

I am very miffed however to be waitlisted for club dining on Oceana in January having booked on Vantage Fare ages ago now. I hate going through the whole intro thing each night and want to have a set table where we can get to know other diners properly. This could be a deal-breaker for me.

Wouldn't suit us, we always go for a Table for 8 and look forward to making good friends which on 5 previous cruises we always have. don't think Freedom would suit us at all.

Right on. 2nd sitting table for 8. Way to go.

Gan canny

Dai

What exactly does this mean. I am used to being told a time and table and then I dont need to think about it again.

Have I got to start making decisions. Oh dear.

No...Freedom Dining is now an 'OPTION' along with the traditional arrangements of club dining.

Freedom dining for us every time whichever cruise line we are with and if its available. Sounds lovely and warming having a table for 8 and making good friends but if you are unlucky enough to have a miserable sod or couple on your table and you have to eat and suffer with them every night it can ruin your cruise.

Freedom dining for us every time whichever cruise line we are with and if its available. Sounds lovely and warming having a table for 8 and making good friends but if you are unlucky enough to have a miserable sod or couple on your table and you have to eat and suffer with them every night it can ruin your cruise.

Haha, just my thoughts too Shilly:eek:

Well,

We have done 20+ cruises all with tables of 8 and had wonderful times, never had a bad table or indeed anyone we would not want to sit with.

People who ask for a table of 8 tend to be the sort of people who like to chat.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

But can someone please explain to me exactly how this works.

Do you have to make your mind up before getting on board.

If you are a 'freedom diner' what does it mean EXACTLY.

Thanks

Yes you choose either freedom, 1st sitting club or 2nd sitting club before you go on board. And once you have chosen you cannot change to the other.

I am still not sure how well this would work on Oriana on a long cruise. I cannot see many people opting for Freedom. Perhaps the may do only half a restaurant for freedom and one and a half fixed. We shall see.

Gan Canny

Dai

You have to make your request at the time of booking, which then may or may not be confirmed. If you are wait listed you may not know until you get on board. If you are not happy with what you get once you board you can go and see the Head Waiter in the restaurant (usually from 3pm) and he will try to accommodate your requirements.

Brian

So is freedom dining like the current lunch arrangement. You turn up when you like within a given time period and are just seated with others arriving at the same time. Sorry for being stupid but no one has said what Freedom Dining actually entails.

But can someone please explain to me exactly how this works.

Do you have to make your mind up before getting on board.

If you are a 'freedom diner' what does it mean EXACTLY.

Thanks

It means you will be allocated a restaurant where you have your evening meals. You can of course use the buffet and cover charge restaurants as well with the advantage that you don't have to tell your table companions or waiters that you will not be there the next evening.

The freedom resturant will say be open from 6pm to 9.30pm and you just turn up when you want and ask for a table. If one is available you will be shown to it. At busy times you might have to wait, in which case you will be given a pager. The ever popular tables for 2 are most likely to result in a wait.

For breakfast and lunch freedom dining applies for everyone.

Dai - yes - Table for 8 second sitting. The only time on a cruise we had a bad table was on the Van Gogh, first cruise, we didn't know anything about anything and got a table for 4. Disaster! The other bloke took the p*** out of my husband for 2 days, but we had already met another couple and they invited us to share their table. Since then we have always gone for a big table and never had a problem. In fact, still in touch with 2 couples and a single lady from last year who we are cruising again with in January :-)

So is freedom dining like the current lunch arrangement. You turn up when you like within a given time period and are just seated with others arriving at the same time. Sorry for being stupid but no one has said what Freedom Dining actually entails.

Spot on :)

We go for the same as Dai - 2nd sitting table of 8. In 14 cruises we have never had a "bad" table and are still in touch with several of the couples we have met across the years.

If it were only Freedom Dining we would be looking elsewhere. I think there would be a lot of protests if Adonia were made Freedom Dining only. With having both options people can choose but Adonia is too small for that.

Well,

We have done 20+ cruises all with tables of 8 and had wonderful times, never had a bad table or indeed anyone we would not want to sit with.

People who ask for a table of 8 tend to be the sort of people who like to chat.

Gan Canny

Dai

Well you have been very lucky then we have done nearly 30 cruises and always ask for a table for 8 but have unfortunately had 1 or 2 bad tables. One couple were Welsh and never spoke the whole holiday to anyone and when they spoke to each other while sitting at the table they did in Welsh causing an atmosphere. Another occasion with a mother and daughter her mother complained about every main meal to the waiters and tried to encourage the rest of the table to complain by telling waiters the rest of us were not happy with our meals when there was no complaint whatsoever.

Adonia only has the only small MDR so it is not practical to introduce Freedom dining on her, but yes - one restaurant in all the other ships is being made Freedom dining (one level on Arcadia).

It would be practicable to introduce freedom dining on Adonia, but probably only if club dining was discontinued. Azamara and Oceania both operate former Renaissance Cruises R class ships identical to Adonia with freedom dining, but they do not offer the alternative of club. I would personally prefer this, but P&O presumably feel that in general their Adonia passengers would prefer club dining.