Freedom Dining across the Fleet from 2014

Bruce62

I had one bad table with me and five ladies, all travelling solo. Most spent the entire voyage banging on about their cruises and canapes etc etc. One kept going on about how she should not have cruised so soon after her hubby died. Another wanted her food to be scorching and to cap it all as I approched one formal night one was making an insulting remark about me. As I sat down I said 'good evening ladies, I scrub up well for a peasant don't I'. The self made northern lady smiled and winked, the rest stared straght ahead.

Last cruise on the same ship it was again a table of 6 solos. What a nice crowd of interesting friendly people.. I discovered by accident that it was one ladies 80th birthday and mentioned it to the others .The lady was delighted at the surprise balloons, cake, card from the captain and singing waiters.

When I book a cruise I now opt for freedom dining and ask for a large table.

Adonia only has the only small MDR so it is not practical to introduce Freedom dining on her, but yes - one restaurant in all the other ships is being made Freedom dining (one level on Arcadia).

I am very miffed however to be waitlisted for club dining on Oceana in January having booked on Vantage Fare ages ago now. I hate going through the whole intro thing each night and want to have a set table where we can get to know other diners properly. This could be a deal-breaker for me.

Hi Sharon

Azamara Quest & Azamara Journey [R ships like the Adonia] both feature freedom rather than fixed dining - and the buffet restaurant is also open every night, unlike the Adonia. So it can be done. :)

I think it is dreadful that you are only waitlisted for club dining as you booked early on a Vantage Fare.

berkshireboy

Anybody know which dining room is going to be Freedom and which is to be Club on Oriana?

Don't know which one but hoping for the middle restaurant as this is the one we prefer and we have booked freedom for our Xmas 2014 Caribbean cruise.

Sue

We always go for a table for 8 second sitting too, always met great people. Once on a back to back only 2 of the 8 changed and I think the new people felt a little left out as the original 6 were getting on great. Sometimes I do find it hard to remember names so sneak a pen in and write names down only to be thwarted next day as we all do the 'table shuffle' and sit next to another couple, last cruise we asked for a table for 8 and got a table for 10 which normally I wouldn't have asked for but again we all had a great time. We all turned up to egg on the Pop Star entrant who eventually won!

I'm hoping the other way round.

Looks like I get what I hoped for. Just found this info on the PO site.:)

Which restaurants are reserved for freedom dining?

Azura's freedom dining restaurant is The Meridian Restaurant.

The Ligurian Restaurant is Oceana's freedom dining venue.

Ventura's freedom dining venue is The Cinnamon Restaurant.

On Arcadia, freedom dining, available as of 15 December 2013, is in the upper tier of the Meridian Restaurant.

As of 18 May 2014 Oriana will offer freedom dining in The Peninisular Restaurant.

On Aurora, freedom dining will be available as of 19 December 2014 and will be in the Medina Restaurant.

Sue

Looks like I get what I hoped for. Just found this info on the PO site.:)

Which restaurants are reserved for freedom dining?

Azura's freedom dining restaurant is The Meridian Restaurant.

The Ligurian Restaurant is Oceana's freedom dining venue.

Ventura's freedom dining venue is The Cinnamon Restaurant.

On Arcadia, freedom dining, available as of 15 December 2013, is in the upper tier of the Meridian Restaurant.

As of 18 May 2014 Oriana will offer freedom dining in The Peninisular Restaurant.

On Aurora, freedom dining will be available as of 19 December 2014 and will be in the Medina Restaurant.

Sue

Well looks like I will have to give freedom dining a try or give up on Oriana, don't want to sit in the restaurant at the back. Thanks for information.

We were always club dining fans. First sitting table for 8. I always felt this was too early but to fit in all the entertainment and the syndicate quiz I had to put up with it. We also both prefer to eat around 7:30 ish to give food time to digest so late sitting was out of the question.

When freedom came in DH would not entertain it. I persuaded him to try it on a Canaries cruise and we have always booked freedom since if traveling on our own. If we are with cruising friends we revert back to 1st sitting.

I can do sailaways without rushing back to cabin to get changed. We can decide to dine elsewhere at short notice with out feeling guilty about not letting waiters and table companions know we are not dining with them.

Sue

I believe that Club dining will ultimately be phased out.

It was to some extent logical when the MDR was the only option for dinner, but the trend in recent years has been to offer more and more alternative dining venues. This has resulted in many tables being half empty as diners choose to eat elsewhere. I see this trend continuing, with ever larger ships having ever more dining options in the evening. Indeed, the concept of the MDR may itself disappear, with a range of open seating options being available but no fixed time/seating option.

• 2 months later...

How does Freedom dining work if you're cruising alone? Do the waiters simply allocate you a table with others?

I opted for a table for 8 when I last cruised alone, and got a 10. Most of the people were great fun to talk to but there was one who was a nightmare and took a dislike to me, so that I enjoyed dinner less and less as the cruise went on.

I would therefore prefer freedom on my next solo cruise, as if you get an awkward person on the same table it's only for one dinner.

Another dining change is to, finally, drop silver service. I always associate this ŵith weddings and is so old fashioned. P&O have stuck with it for years, but next year meals will fully plated. Like all the other lines.

David.

Another dining change is to, finally, drop silver service. I always associate this ŵith weddings and is so old fashioned. P&O have stuck with it for years, but next year meals will fully plated. Like all the other lines.

David.

Its happened already, at least on Ventura

How does Freedom dining work if you're cruising alone? Do the waiters simply allocate you a table with others?

I opted for a table for 8 when I last cruised alone, and got a 10. Most of the people were great fun to talk to but there was one who was a nightmare and took a dislike to me, so that I enjoyed dinner less and less as the cruise went on.

I would therefore prefer freedom on my next solo cruise, as if you get an awkward person on the same table it's only for one dinner.

When I arrive in the restaurant I ask for a large table by preference. As I tend to eat early I have found you might well end up on the same table, or at least with the same waiters. sometimes for dinner i might just want one course or maybe soup and a salad. in which case I just pop up to the buffet.

Just been on Ventura. Have always done freedom dining. This time we found that if you opt for freedom dining, you are allocated either Cinnamon or Saffron restaurant. For the first three nights you have to use your allocated restaurant, and then can use either one. This means that two thirds of the dining is now freedom.

It suits us to have the best of both worlds..... we like having breakfast and lunch in the restaurant where we are seated as we walk in, so in essence Freedom Dining and meeting new people.

Then our fixed table and sitting in the evening to catch up on the day with our regular table mates.

We were very happy in the back restaurant - the Oriental - on the Oriana.

Edited by Scriv

• 6 months later...
It means you will be allocated a restaurant where you have your evening meals. You can of course use the buffet and cover charge restaurants as well with the advantage that you don't have to tell your table companions or waiters that you will not be there the next evening.

The freedom resturant will say be open from 6pm to 9.30pm and you just turn up when you want and ask for a table. If one is available you will be shown to it. At busy times you might have to wait, in which case you will be given a pager. The ever popular tables for 2 are most likely to result in a wait.

For breakfast and lunch freedom dining applies for everyone.

The trouble is always the table for 2. I have to fight for one every cruise. My Husband and I are very hard of hearing and now he has just been diagnosed as having Alzheimer, so we really need a table for 2. Would we be better off at Club or Freedom dining? Would really appreciate any advice.

The trouble is always the table for 2. I have to fight for one every cruise. My Husband and I are very hard of hearing and now he has just been diagnosed as having Alzheimer, so we really need a table for 2. Would we be better off at Club or Freedom dining? Would really appreciate any advice.

At least with Club you would dine with the same people each night and they would soon get to know you and your difficulties. We once shared a table of eight when one lovely chap had severe dementia but he and his wife enjoyed their cruise, as dud we all.

Edited by Brayman

My elderly father has dementia and routine is so important to him - we have to visit the same place each week, same table, same people.

It is difficult to give an spot on answer as each person is different - we have found a table for 2 freedom dining great for us, but different people serving each evening may cause problems for you.

It may be best to have the fixed dining which will give you the same routine - nothing 'new' to worry about. They do tables for 2 and I am sure that the restaurant manager will help if you explain your situation

Whatever - have a great cruise and all the best to you both

:)