Boarding denied? Why?

Seaworthy01

Several years ago I watched a documentary on the Travel Channel about the turn around day of the Oasis of the Seas. It was fascinating how they get off 5,400 and turn about the ship by 5PM with another 5,.400. It's a massive operations and has to work like clock work. Anyway, they showed varies issues with checking in 5,400 including denied boarding due to improper ID and documentation. The RCI supervisors are there to assist passenger. Sometime they are able to fix it; sometime not.. There was a situation where a passenger arrived with an expired passport. Sometimes the name on photo ID does not match the reservation due to marriage, etc. Sometime they have to tell the passenger they can't sail...which is hard because they lose what they paid for the cruise as well as not being able to go on their vacation. Most people are understanding. It's the responsible of the passenger to have proper documentation to board.

I work in Port Everglades and most of the time embarkation is denied due to wrong documentation. One example is of a man had the wrong type of birth certificate and was denied boarding. He had a hospital issued birth certificate instead of the official government certificate. Usually you may still be allowed to embark if an official one can be faxed in time before boarding. In this circumstance the particular state he was born in would have taken to long to receive a faxed official birth certificate and he was denied immediately. Some states are faster at faxing birth certificates than others.

Another issue is visas, especially ones that are expired, only have one entry, or the F1 visa without the paper work. Occasionally students forget to bring the I-20 form signed by the school or will pack it in a suit case. A student accidentally packed one in a suitcase and had to have the luggage brought back off the ship to find the form to show a pier agent before she was allowed to board. The biggest concern with visas is if they have multiple or one entries into the United States with a closed loop cruise. A one entry visa has already been used with the initial entry when coming into the United States before a cruise, which means they can't be allowed to board since they would be denied entrance into the United States at the end of the cruise.

For the most part embarkation seems to be denied due to wrong identification. Sometimes a customs agents has become involved to see if an individual can sail with the identification or not. Least Royal Caribbean does have individuals to help you if there is a problem, such as the pier coordinator or guest advocate.

Besides wrong identification, I feel the next most common reason is going to be sickness. Also some people have been disembarked once on board due to the ship being over capacity. This happened in Port Everglades recently because more passengers arrived then expected (usually there are a few cancellations and no shows). With that circumstance any family members or guests of crew who had already boarded the ship had to be disembarked. Lately the Oasis and the Allure have been sailing almost at capacity, which has led to family members and guests of crew not being able to board sadly.

Oh, I can hear the conversation with the TA when he booked. TA: You will have to have proper ID, a passport, driver's license, etc. Customer: I will have those. (No mention of other passenger).

Just a thought, could her green card have been in her maiden name and she booked the cruise in her married name?

LOVE IT!!! :D:D:D

No, maybe she doesn't have a green card (or a fake one) and he's trying to smuggle her into the country. :)

There was a thread here a couple weeks ago about a woman and her (adult) daughter who were boarded then taken off the ship right away because the daughter had boarded then gone to the ship doctor for a stomach ailment ... likely not the sharpest tool in the shed.

:cool:

You can be denied for health issues. While with most lines you just fill in a questionaire yourself, MSC has thermal imaging cameras that search for abnormal temperature.

I had a couple denied boarding behind me in Barcelona. They were actually checking prior to entering the terminal just prior to screening carry on luggage. They continued to use this throughout the cruise when returning to the ship, but not sure what would happen mid-cruise.

Yeah, that just isn't right. After going through security at the airport, sitting in a seat the width of a pretzel, manually hauling enough luggage to move the entire contents of our home, and dealing with lines and paperwork my internal temperature may be a bit "hot". Let me on the ship and it will quickly cool off.

About 2 years ago we had dinner with a Hotel Manager on a Celebrity ship and one of our tablemates brought up the subject of denied boarding. The Hotel Manager said there were three primary reasons for denied boarding. A majority involved those without Passports trying to get on closed-loop cruises and having their documents (usually birth certificate) rejected by the cruise line. Another reason (not as common) was when somebody showed up at the port with some kind of obvious illness and was denied boarding the ship's medical staff. And the 3rd reason involved cruises to countries that required Visas....and some passengers not bothering to get those visas.

Hank

I don't see why a BJ's Wholesale Club card can't serve as my photo ID!

True story- We were flying from LAX to South Dakota on Frontier, and my wife forgot her driver's license. They let her on the plane with her COSTCO card, but TSA gave her a thorough pat down.

True story- We were flying from LAX to South Dakota on Frontier, and my wife forgot her driver's license. They let her on the plane with her COSTCO card, but TSA gave her a thorough pat down.

Brilliant! But I suppose it is photo-ID, just a million miles from being 'government issued'!

Oh, I can hear the conversation with the TA when he booked. TA: You will have to have proper ID, a passport, driver's license, etc. Customer: I will have those. (No mention of other passenger).

Just a thought, could her green card have been in her maiden name and she booked the cruise in her married name?

I am just guessing, but could the DL have had a very different picture from the person using it.

What's she look like? jk ;)

I don't see why a BJ's Wholesale Club card can't serve as my photo ID!

Actually my mother had her passport stolen in San Juan and didn't notice until we were returning. She gathered her info to meet with Customs/Immigration and realized she didn't have it. She explained it to the guy and he asked her for two pieces of picture ID. All she had was her driver's license and her Costco card. He accepted it. :D

And the Darwin award goes too........:D

The woman with someone else's green card didn't have one. The bridegroom said when they told the TA the bride didn't have a BC because she wasn't born in the US, the TA told them she had to have a green card. He was livid because the TA didn't say it had to be hers. He also said she had no way to get one and Princess was ruining their honeymoon. At that point the clerk called somebody over and they led them off somewhere. The groom had a passport and was obviously a generic American. She spoke very little English. I never saw them again.

There was a thread here a couple weeks ago about a woman and her (adult) daughter who were boarded then taken off the ship right away because the daughter had boarded then gone to the ship doctor for a stomach ailment ... likely not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Yeah, the "stomach ailment" was that she was 8 months preggers.

Has anyone ever been denied boarding? Why, what was the reason?

A few weeks ago there was a post from a man denied boarding for a closed loop cruise because he had a German birth certificate. He was a military brat born in a German hospital to a US service member stationed there. He didn't have a "Consular Record of Birth Abroad" and was livid that the cruise line had told him his BC was just fine.

Last month somebody's dog was denied boarding the kennels on QM2 because the paperwork wasn't in order. Not sure what the human owners did.

They let her on the plane with her COSTCO card, but TSA gave her a thorough pat down.

Brilliant! But I suppose it is photo-ID, just a million miles from being 'government issued'!

You're wrong! It IS government issued! It is a Cruise Only Substitute Travel Compliant Otherization (sic). Not my fault they misspelled authorization! :D

The woman with someone else's green card didn't have one. The bridegroom said when they told the TA the bride didn't have a BC because she wasn't born in the US, the TA told them she had to have a green card. He was livid because the TA didn't say it had to be hers. He also said she had no way to get one and Princess was ruining their honeymoon. At that point the clerk called somebody over and they led them off somewhere. The groom had a passport and was obviously a generic American. She spoke very little English. I never saw them again.

Bwahahahaha! OMG, that is the funniest thing I've read on this thread. Where oh where do these people come from :rolleyes:

Another reason is arriving past the cutoff time for check-in.

On my last voyage the cutoff was 3:45 for a 5PM sailing. At 4:45 a taxi pulled up to the terminal and a man got out, along with luggage tagged for the ship, and entered the terminal. Five minutes later he returned to the taxi.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!:p:D

Archived