Ausralians being taken advantage of by Princess Cruises

I've managed to compare a Diamond Princess cruise on Dec 11 2013 out of Sydney and even when you take into account exchange rates, Princess Cruises are ripping off Australians by almost $1000 for the same cabin on the same cruise.

Is this fair or ethical? Would Americans accept this if the tables were reversed?

What are your thoughts and comments?

See attached image for cruise pricings.

2056719764_ScreenShot2013-08-16at12_11_35AM.jpg.63428180b802df8de8b03b931185d539.jpg

Our bone of contention :rolleyes:...guess you can only grin and bear it. Some of us were fortunate to lock in with a US travel agent before that loophole was closed a few years ago.

I'd be interested to know how you accessed the US prices? I could only do that on a Princess ship.

I've also heard that US bookings can take advantage of many more discounts than we get.

As much as I don't like the price differences, I"m getting tired of the claims we are being 'ripped off".

How are cruises any different to any other product?

I know that in the US, my favourite cosmetic brands, shoes, handbags can be purchased at a much lower price than here.

But I don't see people accusing Clarins or Nike or Coach of " ripping us off".

Even with the advent of the internet and being able to access global markets, our distance and relatively small competitive market will remain a disadvantage

As much as I don't like the price differences, I"m getting tired of the claims we are being 'ripped off".

I know that in the US, my favourite cosmetic brands, shoes, handbags can be purchased at a much lower price than here.

But I don't see people accusing Clarins or Nike or Coach of " ripping us off".

Even with the advent of the internet and being able to access global markets, our distance and relatively small competitive market will remain a disadvantage

Well actually they have been accused of ripping off Aussies, just like Apple and Adobe etc just recently. However, each market has different pressures and as such has different supply and demands, in order to attract the US to Australia they need to price accordingly. It is just a fact of life, that prices will be cheaper for some and not others. Shop around and maybe even get a proxy US address so you can access the sales in the US.

I"m getting tired of the claims we are being 'ripped off".

Exactly .

What about cars?

What a rip off in Australia and NZ.

Look at what we have to pay compared to the States.

Should we boycott all car dealers and buy our vehicles direct from America ?.:D

I made representations to Princess Head Office some 5 years ago re prices to Aussies. Their answer was, our mass market is the American one and it is to them we offer our best prices. I did that because on Crown Princess, many Americans were telling us what they paid.

Well guys you have the chance to strike back once on board, just spend less and tell the Passengers Services Director you cannot afford to pay your gratuities because you paid a thousand dollars more than the Americans.

I made representations to Princess Head Office some 5 years ago re prices to Aussies. Their answer was, our mass market is the American one and it is to them we offer our best prices. I did that because on Crown Princess, many Americans were telling us what they paid.

Well guys you have the chance to strike back once on board, just spend less and tell the Passengers Services Director you cannot afford to pay your gratuities because you paid a thousand dollars more than the Americans.

Or tell the PSD to get the money for tips off the Americans cause they paid significantly less to get on the ship. :D

Or tell the PSD to get the money for tips off the Americans cause they paid significantly less to get on the ship. :D

I like your way with words Sarah. Anyway, I have lit the fuse on the Princess site. Standby for incoming.

Good idea given the majority of Americans also get all their Gratuities paid for them as a perk/discount from USA T/A,s so infact are not actually personally paying any "Tips" as well as getting cheaper deals than us!

I believe the cruise lines do this to entice us Americans to purchase the cruise because our air fair is so expensive and the only way they can get us to purchase is to offer these good rates. As I'm sure you get better rates then we do on US and Caribbean cruises. I do feel your pain though and am sorry you have to pay more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Look at this question from another side. From what I have seen Americans do not get Princess cruises out of Australia any cheaper than Aussies do, but they have the auto-tip added to their on-board accounts. Is that fair?

Most have them paid for them by their T/A as a bonus or relieve OBC to cover it so are paying nothing!

I believe the cruise lines do this to entice us Americans to purchase the cruise because our air fair is so expensive and the only way they can get us to purchase is to offer these good rates. As I'm sure you get better rates then we do on US and Caribbean cruises. I do feel your pain though and am sorry you have to pay more.

Sorry but our rates on cruises out of USA are more expensive than you pay also!

You are wrong we Americans DO NOT get our gratuities paid for us. Sometimes a travel agency may offer that as a perk when booking within a group or they offer a bottle of wine or onboard credit. Please do not get mad at us for our TA's wanting to drum up business. It is no different then a company offering free give-a-ways as a promotion. It makes sense to offer paid gratuities of say $70.00 for someone booking a $4000. Stateroom and getting a great commission. Makes for good business sence to me. Hope this helps explain it a little better. Happy cruising.

Hi currently in Bali. Asian prices are more expensive than here in Oz. also you can't book online. There is a tab to click on that says "find a travel agent". Spit spears that the only market that gets the good offers and booking conditions is the US and Canada.

Most have them paid for them by their T/A as a bonus or relieve OBC to cover it so are paying nothing!

Wrong. As posted separately, most don't get gratuities paid.

And even for those that do, that doesn't change the situation for everyone else.

Just because _you_ happen to know some perks, it doesn't entitle you to dismiss other's situations.

Wrong. As posted separately, most don't get gratuities paid.

And even for those that do, that doesn't change the situation for everyone else.

Just because _you_ happen to know some perks, it doesn't entitle you to dismiss other's situations.

Only because they use the wrong TA,s!

All the US T/A,s I look at offer free OBC or Free Gratuities and the reason is US T/As are not allowed to sell cruises cheaper than the cruiseline like here so the OBC or Grats make up the hidden discount!

Hi currently in Bali. Asian prices are more expensive than here in Oz. also you can't book online. There is a tab to click on that says "find a travel agent". Spit spears that the only market that gets the good offers and booking conditions is the US and Canada.

You cant book online because of the rampant Indonesian based Credit Card fraud!

Try buying a flight out of Bali online without showing up at a flight operator/Ta in Bali to sight your credit card.

We should be careful that we are comparing apples with apples...you cant compare buying a car in Australia with the cost of cars in the US...but you should be able to compare the price of buying something like travel over the net. A train ticket in Italy purchased over the net is the same price no matter what your country of origin is.... I also had a US agent locked in prior to the ban but I always look at the local price too and go with whatever. Recently I got a great deal locally and went with that. You should be aware that most published prices on the net for US prices do not include their local taxes and port charges unless it specifically says so. You also need to factor in the cost of currency transaction fees etc. I have to say unfortunately that I have always received much better service from a US agent. Here once they have your booking...

The cruise line is making the most of our rising interest in cruising...like buying anything just be careful you know what the real cost is and do your research.

The good news is that our market is getting more competitive and there are real bargains to be had through local agents from time to time.

Sue

Talking of perks only for the yanks....how about the Princess Visa card, which only they can get! :mad: Princess give points for using the card for purchases (both on-board and ashore) that can be used towards cruise costs or OBC's, which is not available to any other cruisers but the yanks! :mad:

MP

Talking of perks only for the yanks....how about the Princess Visa card, which only they can get! :mad: Princess give points for using the card for purchases (both on-board and ashore) that can be used towards cruise costs or OBC's, which is not available to any other cruisers but the yanks! :mad:

MP

All credit cards are restricted to a country. You can't get any US credit cards here. Because of finance laws and that you don't have a credit history there.

Archived