New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

Cancel

The problem with canceling prior to the "official"notice is we lose all of our $$...if the ship sails we are sunk so to speak! This sucks big time...my sister's 50th birthday tomorrow and we as a family are supposed to board friday...I want to start a Millennium Sad story thread so folks can vent...why did they not fix these engine issues when they got the "big" settlement from whomever so many moons ago because of these problems?

This is super bad PR for MODERN LUXURY!

If... and I realize that it's an if.... Millie went into drydock, where do you suppose that would be? Just curious since I'm sure there are limited places to put a ship of its size into drydock.

There is a very large drydock facility in Victoria, B.C. where Celebrity has done previous dry-docks.

Yes indeed, there is....but it is currently occupied by a Canadian Navy vessel in for repairs/upgrades needing drydock.

Celebrity had already looked into that contigency ~~ 9th August when the first issue arose....It is not known when the Navy vessel is due for float out.

That yard, Esquimalt engraving yard,would indeed be the ideal location if and when it becomes available. In terms of cruise ships, there are none booked for preventive/upgrading drydock work until late october.

And it is highly regarded in the industry as producing top work/on budget/on time.

I wonder when the president of Celebrity will make a statement to all of Celebrity's guest who have been thwarted by this mishap? Azamara's president is right on it during these kind of stressful situations...instead there is a statement from, "Cynthia Martinez" a spokesperson for Royal Caribbean????

Passengers will get home at no additional cost! Right...but the only reason they spent the money to fly to Vancouver was to take this cruise. I think celebrity needs to pay for their needless flight to Vancouver....and by the way I think they need to do the same for the folks that fly in for the next cruise if it doesn't sail. Great that they get a free cruise but they will still have to fly again. I don't think celebrity's compensation is all that great...but maybe that's just me.

I totally agree. On the other hand, this class of ships has had problem after problem and until paying customers start to book away from them (thus truly hurting Celebrity's pocket), things will never change. So in that sense, the passengers have some responsibility. I know that comes across hard, but people prefer convenience and cost over anything else.

I totally agree. On the other hand, this class of ships has had problem after problem and until paying customers start to book away from them (thus truly hurting Celebrity's pocket), things will never change. So in that sense, the passengers have some responsibility. I know that comes across hard, but people prefer convenience and cost over anything else.

It had the best itinerary for Alaska...had nothing to do with convenience...and it's the most expensive of the Celebrity Alaska ships, so cost wasn't a factor either...

Yep that's what we're hearing. Fly us to anchorage, put us up over nite and then start the land part there

A standard and practical approach. The ship's destination is Seward, thus Celebrity will fly you there ( well...Anchorage....) and guests going onwards to the land portion of their cruise-tours will be right where they need to be. Those due to fly out ;;same thing.(some earlier than friday but Celebrity,I beleive, will put them up in hotels until they catch up to their scheduled steps)

Matter of fact, if one presumes 23aug southbound sailing is nixed,some of the 20 +/- aircrafts chartered by Celebrity can process the reverse operations: folks just off the land portion of a tour-cruise could then be flown to Vancouver, the ultimate destination of the now missing ship portion of their tour. Guests having flown to Anchorage for a cruise only voyage would also be flown back to Vancouver.....Logistically, makes sense....but I don't know about the ''realistic''aspect of all this.

quite frustrating for most guests...understandable. But it is amazing how well guests are facing the whole disruption,judging by the present thread. Very reasonnable and almost positive by most folks. Bravo.

Spent a bit of time hovering around Guest Relations this afternoon, just curious how people onboard now were dealing with things.

The extra customer service reps that they brought in were answering everyone's questions, and taking down requests for specific travel accommodations. Celebrity isn't currently making individual bookings for people; apparently they're bringing in their "emergency travel" team, scheduled to arrive around 9pm tonight to start piling through that.

Certainly enough staff on hand, there aren't big lineups or anything, and they're doing a good job of having enough roving staff to answer preliminary questions and directing people to the right place. They've encouraged most people to wait for arrangements to be made for them, so it's not a stampede at Guest Relations or anything. They've also set up a bunch of phones and computers for people wanting to investigate alternate arrangements, communicate with their travel agents, etc.

Most people who have made part of their own arrangements (particularly before it was announced that Celebrity would take care of getting people home) are being assured that they'll get reimbursed for things, assuming the plans are half-way reasonable. Heard of a few people that no longer want to do their post-cruise land tour, but as Celebrity will fully arrange to get them to the start of that, the decision was apparently made not to reimburse if they decide to back out from that.

Most people, guests and CSR's alike, still seem to be taking things in stride; while there's some frustration, most people seem to realize these things do happen, and the main thing is how it gets handled, which appears to be excellent. Lots of people saying very sincere thank you's to the CSR's for their help. Someone at head office needs to make sure they get recognized for their work here.

Have heard more than once "thank goodness this didn't happen on a Carnival ship". Reaction to the compensation seems to be good; while it obviously doesn't make up for what was supposed to be a unique experience for some people, it's perceived as fair and even generous. Some people glad to hear that they wouldn't be forced to use the credit on this particular Celebrity ship!

A standard and practical approach. The ship's destination is Seward, thus Celebrity will fly you there ( well...Anchorage....) and guests going onwards to the land portion of their cruise-tours will be right where they need to be. Those due to fly out ;;same thing.(some earlier than friday but Celebrity,I beleive, will put them up in hotels until they catch up to their scheduled steps)

Matter of fact, if one presumes 23aug southbound sailing is nixed,some of the 20 +/- aircrafts chartered by Celebrity can process the reverse operations: folks just off the land portion of a tour-cruise could then be flown to Vancouver, the ultimate destination of the now missing ship portion of their tour. Guests having flown to Anchorage for a cruise only voyage would also be flown back to Vancouver.....Logistically, makes sense....but I don't know about the ''realistic''aspect of all this.

quite frustrating for most guests...understandable. But it is amazing how well guests are facing the whole disruption,judging by the present thread. Very reasonnable and almost positive by most folks. Bravo.

Does Anchorage have enough hotel rooms for all the pax? Is that the Village People I hear in the background? "Young man..."

This is exactly what we did back in 2008. After I read about all the propulsion problems on these ships, I avoided them and went with HAL even though my sister's favorite line was Celebrity. Problem is not everyone researches as much as I do, so they were unaware of these issues. My 2008 trip was a possible only trip to AK, and I was not willing to risk it on a ship that was prone to pod problems.

As far as the statement that this itinerary is the "best," I beg to differ with that poster. "Best" for one person is not best for another person. Personally, Hubbard Glacier is #3 on my favorites list of the scenic sailing areas, so this itinerary would be far from the "best" for me. I admit it might be the "best" for someone else though.

It had the best itinerary for Alaska...had nothing to do with convenience...and it's the most expensive of the Celebrity Alaska ships, so cost wasn't a factor either...

Well I guess "best" is relative since it doesn't include Glacier Bay. In any case I wouldn't care if it had the "best" itinerary or not. You would never find me on one of these ships based on the past 13 year history.

This is exactly what we did back in 2008. After I read about all the propulsion problems on these ships, I avoided them and went with HAL even though my sister's favorite line was Celebrity. Problem is not everyone researches as much as I do, so they were unaware of these issues. My 2008 was a possible only trip to AK, and I was not willing to risk it on a ship that is prone to problems.

I understand the lure some people have for certain ships or certain cruise lines. But I am 100% in agreement with you. If I want to minimize my risks, I don't choose a cruise ship that has had multiple issues over the years.

This is exactly what we did back in 2008. After I read about all the propulsion problems on these ships, I avoided them and went with HAL even though my sister's favorite line was Celebrity. Problem is not everyone researches as much as I do, so they were unaware of these issues. My 2008 trip was a possible only trip to AK, and I was not willing to risk it on a ship that was prone to pod problems.

As far as the statement that this itinerary is the "best," I beg to differ with that poster. "Best" for one person is not best for another person. Personally, Hubbard Glacier is #3 on my favorites list of the scenic sailing areas, so this itinerary would be far from the "best" for me. I admit it might be the "best" for someone else though.

You are right, to us it was the best option compared to Seattle round trip and Century...having spent 30 days on an Azamara cruise to Antarctica, none of the Alaska Glaciers are even on my list...but thanks for your input during this stressful time...

It's occurring to me Premium Travel/Cruise Insurance may be in our future; so far we've never had it. Question: If someone is flying right now to Vancouver for tomorrow's Millennium Cruise will they get any travel expenses etc. reimbursed? Hmm. Locomotiveman Tom

You are right, to us it was the best option compared to Seattle round trip and Century...having spent 30 days on an Azamara cruise to Antarctica, none of the Alaska Glaciers are even on my list...but thanks for your input during this stressful time...

Deise. Hang in there and stay on the boards. We seem to be getting the most current info from current passengers on board and I am sure Host Andy will be on top of everything as well. I can only imagine what you must be going through:( You picked a great ship - don't second guess your decision as we have sailed on the Millie and Infinity multiple times, and I hope they get her fixed in time for your cruise. Best Wishes

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Deise. Hang in there and stay on the boards. We seem to be getting the most current info from current passengers on board and I am sure Host Andy will be on top of everything as well. I can only imagine what you must be going through:( You picked a great ship - don't second guess your decision as we have sailed on the Millie and Infinity multiple times, and I hope they get her fixed in time for your cruise. Best Wishes

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What a wonderful person you are for posting this! Thanks!

This cruise was to give us the necessary points to become Elite...I hope if the cruise is canceled, Celebrity will still honor that!

I totally understand your stress level, we had a similar experience with the Infinity in 2002, but let me try to understand...if they cancel your cruise, and if they do you will most likely get compensation similar to the two previously cancelled cruises, you think that Celebrity should still give you the points to reach the elite level on a cruise that you most likely will not have paid for or taken? Sorry seems to be a bit over the top to me. But since your cruise has not been cancelled yet this post in pure gibberish. Let the flames begin. :eek:

I totally understand your stress level, we had a similar experience with the Infinity in 2002, but let me try to understand...if they cancel your cruise, and if they do you will most likely get compensation similar to the two previously cancelled cruises, you think that Celebrity should still give you the points to reach the elite level on a cruise that you most likely will not have paid for? Sorry seems to be a bit over the top to me. But since your cruise has not been cancelled yet this post in pure gibberish. Let the flames begin. :eek:

LOL! You are so right, but it was a good try on my part!! :)

Hi all,

We have important news for guests who are booked to sail on upcoming cruises on Celebrity Millennium. Please read this update.

A mechanical issue has made it necessary for us to perform unscheduled repairs on Celebrity Millennium. As a result, we are sorry to inform guests that we have had to cancel the following sailings:

• August 23, 2013 – cancelled

• August 30, 2013 – cancelled

• September 6, 2013 – cancelled

• September 13, 2013 – cancelled

We are deeply sorry for this unexpected and disappointing development in our guests’ upcoming vacation.

If you are booked on one of the cancelled sailings, Celebrity Cruises will provide you with a full, 100% refund. For your convenience, all monies paid will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment within the next three weeks. Celebrity Cruises will also provide you with a future cruise certificate. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Cruises.

Guests booked on the August 23 sailing may call 1-888-829-4050 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48846.

Guests booked on the August 30, September 6 and September 13 sailing may call 1-888-281-9343 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48155.

Please accept our sincere apology for your inconvenience. We hope to welcome you aboard soon.

A mechanical issue has made it necessary for us to perform unscheduled repairs on Celebrity Millennium. As a result' date=' we are sorry to inform guests that we have had to cancel the following sailings:

• August 23, 2013 – cancelled

• August 30, 2013 – cancelled

• September 6, 2013 – cancelled

• September 13, 2013 – cancelled

[/quote']

Thank you for posting this. It must be serious if they are cancelling an entire month of cruises.

Archived