New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

Feeling grateful for not being trapped in open water with no power...and the 50% future cruise credit...plus the change fee refund...thanks to everyone's kind words ...those that have no empathy for the frustration and sadness of a year of planning down the tubes, good luck when your turn comes...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Who has not shown empathy so far? To wish them "good luck" when it comes to their turn, sounds pretty harsh to me...

These guys a real bunch of cheap skates. 25% of my cruise fair is nothing (I got a special on this ship for 499) I have all sorts of trips planned that I have to cancel along with air stuff.

I have to schedule time off weeks in advance and can't change once scheduled. I guess I will just stay home. I am really upset

I probably will never travel with Celebrity again. They will not even let me apply this saving to a RCL ship leaving about the same time.

Well if they give everyone who was supposed to sail on 8/23 100% FCC, I understand that's pretty much the absolute best they could do, so I wouldn't take issue with that. But I just have to disagree with those who haven't left home yet claiming they're in a the same or worse situation than those like my parents who have already made the trip to Alaska. Maybe I could see it for those who live on the west coast, but not for others like my parents who made a 7 hour flight + layovers trip to Alaska, only to have half of their vacation cancelled and dealing with the stress of figuring how how they're going to get their flights changed and such. You're not going to convince me that your inconvenience and frustration, having not left home yet, is equal to theirs. No offense.

If they're going to stick with 50% for the 8/23 cruisers who haven't left home, then the ones on the pre-cruise land tour through the cruiseline should get 75%.

I agree with you 100%!! My sisters 50th only comes once...but I am trying to be positive and at least the 50% is not 0! I also would have preferred the stay on ship hotel deal with 100% FCC...

You might be fine with 100%, others are happy for the given 50% and others again would flame Celebrity no matter what.

while I understand the frustration of having the cruise cancelled, I think that Celebrity's moral (not legal) obligation should be to make you whole financially....that is, to cover any already incurred non-refundable expenses and of course return your cruise payments. Anything above that...for example a future cruise credit, be it 25 or 100%....is to help ease the pain of missing a planned vacation/cruise and everyone will have a different view of what's fair in their case so celebrity marketing has to just put a stake in the ground and live with it. For some, perhaps those taking a last trip in life, even 100% isn't enough compensation, but then no compensation would be adequate....and so on.

If you have out of pocket costs that aren't being covered (that's not clothes you bought for the trip...it's non refundable hotel or excursion reservations), then I would document that to celebrity. They do have a way to handle those situations on a one by one basis although they will claim that everyone is handled the same. They can handle situations where you have already flown to the embarkation port on air miles so you can't get a refund and there is no change fee.....in our case, they purchased the miles back for us that we had spent going to a cancelled due to mechanical reasons cruise.

Just found out that my insurance does not cover when the cruise line cancels the cruise. Just gets better and better. I'm numb at this point.

So sorry for you!

Please share withl us what insurance you purchased: Company name, policy name & if you are from US or other country.

I started a thread a few minutes ago as a "place-holder" for that sort of valuable feedback. Hoping to help us all become better-informed consumers.

{{{{{{{Skuzzlebutt}}}}}}}}}}

Jane

while I understand the frustration of having the cruise cancelled, I think that Celebrity's moral (not legal) obligation should be to make you whole financially....that is, to cover any already incurred non-refundable expenses and of course return your cruise payments. Anything above that...for example a future cruise credit, be it 25 or 100%....is to help ease the pain of missing a planned vacation/cruise and everyone will have a different view of what's fair in their case so celebrity marketing has to just put a stake in the ground and live with it. For some, perhaps those taking a last trip in life, even 100% isn't enough compensation, but then no compensation would be adequate....and so on.

If you have out of pocket costs that aren't being covered (that's not clothes you bought for the trip...it's non refundable hotel or excursion reservations), then I would document that to celebrity. They do have a way to handle those situations on a one by one basis although they will claim that everyone is handled the same. They can handle situations where you have already flown to the embarkation port on air miles so you can't get a refund and there is no change fee.....in our case, they purchased the miles back for us that we had spent going to a cancelled due to mechanical reasons cruise.

I fully agree, and hope that can be achieved this time.

Given the number of people affected, I think it will be a PR disaster for them if they don't.

Will I buy insurance next time? Probably......because now I see it as the same thing as having "uninsured motorist" car insurance for coverage when the car that goes thru a red light and hits me happens to have "Celebrity" written on the side of it.

Be careful with insurance purchases. Unless the "for any reason" variety which are not available everywhere, it's quite possible this sort of scenario is not covered.

I too am being offered 25% off of a future cruise and I feel that 50% might have made me feel like Celebrity cared somewhat about their clients. I have been a loyal Celebrity cruiser but 25% feels like kind of an insult and will really make me take a look at my future cruises and different cruise lines. I have another cruise booked for February but now I am not sure I even want to take that one. Maybe I will feel differently later but right now I am not a happy camper.

For some people who fail to understand this, we the ones on the August 23rd sailings not only have put in our time, money and efforts planning this but risk losing the vacation not being able to anywhere but stay home. My company won't change my vacation dates at the last moment and mess up another colleagues dates. Since the August 23rd sailing cancellations were at the last moment (per say) Celebrity should provide 100% FCC. IMHO

I'm with you Bobbysingh!

Just found out that my insurance does not cover when the cruise line cancels the cruise. Just gets better and better. I'm numb at this point.

I buy insurance regularly and don't like the sounds of this post. Perhaps the CC editors can reach out to the major insurance providers and get the facts on their policies in this type of situation.

A Celebrity cancellations insurance focused sticky thread could also be helpful to a lot of us.

I'm sure it will take quite some time for the whole insurance situation to get sorted out . . .

I just spoke with Celebrity…I’m going to post this in multiple places in the hopes it will help someone…

• I called the number on the website, and it was not the correct number. The representative redirected me to 1-866-521-7245, but they weren’t open yet so she gave me the basic information.

• They will help you rebook, but there is no price protection…you’ll have to pay the going rate. There is no reason to call immediately unless you are trying to get rebooked.

• Up to $200 per person in airline change fees will be covered. Send receipts to:

Celebrity Cruises

Attn: Corporate Guest Relations/Millennium 2013

1050 Caribbean Way Miami, FL 33132

• I asked if there was a possibility of joining one of the Century land tours leaving from Vancouver around the same time, but I was told they won’t do that.

• Refunds should be processed within 3-5 days, and an FCC issued within 6-8 weeks. For my September 13th sailing it’s 25%. I forgot to ask if that can be applied to a cruise that’s already booked, but I’ll check on that later when the rush dies down.

Off to work on Plan B![/size]

We were on the September 13th wine cruise and though we aren't thrilled, to say the least, we do have three weeks until departure. At least enough time to arrange an alternative vacay. I feel so bad for those who were scheduled to leave this week.

Thank you for this information....My "Emergency response, save my vacation" plan is going full speed. :eek::):)

Looks like a land based trip, is going to replace a cruise, this time around!

BILL

Call your Insurance company and start a claim. Can't you still cancel your hotel and car? And as Cruise Junky posted you can still use your air in the next year.

I am not sure if it is the same for all airlines, but, with United you can reschedule for a fee, but only out as far as one year from the date you purchased the ticket, not the date that the flight was scheduled for.

I'm so disappointed.:( I haven't even tried to call Celebrity yet, and I probably won't until tomorrow morning.

Cindy, I am so sorry to hear about this. :(

I cruised the Millennium in June on this Alaska itinerary (southbound). If my cruise was canceled so early into the trip, or just the threat of my entire vacation being canceled, like you, I would have been devestated. I've been on many cruises, but I've dreamed all my life of going to Alaska and this trip took a lot of planning to make it perfect.

If my trip was cut short, compensation, future cruises, etc, would be the furthest from my mind. I would be really upset with disappointment...not at Celebrity, but because it happened.

So sorry for you!

Please share withl us what insurance you purchased: Company name, policy name & if you are from US or other country.

I started a thread a few minutes ago as a "place-holder" for that sort of valuable feedback. Hoping to help us all become better-informed consumers.

{{{{{{{Skuzzlebutt}}}}}}}}}}

Jane

I don't travel until next June but with all of this I had to check my travel policy, thank goodness is covers mechanical issues and cancellations! CSA Travel Protection.

Best of luck to those that are in a horrible situation, I can't even imagine!!

Refunds should be processed within 3-5 days, and an FCC issued within 6-8 weeks. For my September 13th sailing it’s 25%. I forgot to ask if that can be applied to a cruise that’s already booked, but I’ll check on that later when the rush dies down.

As long as final payment has not been made you can fill out the FCC as indicated and send it in and they will credit it towards your cruise. You usually have a year to use them. So if they are issuing them in September 2013, they are good until September 2014.

At least this has been our experience.

So sorry for all those who have had their vacation plans ruined.

I can totally relate to how everyone feels that has their upcoming cruise cancelled. The same happened to us this spring for a 14 night Med cruise. We only found out on CC about the cancellation. We were all set to leave home in a week for an extended trip into Europe. The first couple of days after receiving the news I was stunned and angry. I also felt sorry and do so now as well for those people that don't have the financial means to book alternate plans while waiting for the refund for the price of the cruise.

It takes a lot of planning for these trips and to plan an alternate last minute vacation will often cost thousands of dollars more which many can't afford to do.

We were fortunate that we were able to change our airline tickets for approximately $100.00 pp as we had booked on aeroplan and there was availability to an alternate destination that we chose. We ended up going to Morocco for a land based holiday and it turned out to be one of the best holidays we've ever had and was also incredible value.

The cruiseline in question was carnival and the only reason that we had booked the trip was because we had gotten the cruise for a steal compared to what we would have had to pay for hotels on land. They reimbursed us for all of our change fees and the additional flight that we had to take to get from Agadir to Barcleona where we had prepaid our hotel. I would say if carnival could reimburse our prepaid expenses and flight changes related to them canceling our trip, celebrity should certainly do so as well. Save all your receipts to submit.

Good luck to everyone involved.

Making Lemonade Report --

We're booked on HAL Westerdam to Alaska round-trip from Seattle on September 14th. That was easiest for us since we can keep the outbound part of our airfare and just rebook the flight home. We're keeping our pre-cruise reservations for Whistler and our Vancouver arrangements...I just have to figure out transportation to Seattle and a hotel for one night. Mom is still going, so all is not lost. I even decided to live dangerously and take a suite guarantee for the price of a verandah. I decided I need a little more excitement and drama in my life! HA! Just kidding, but I did decide at this point I have nothing to lose!:p

Sigh...it's not the vacation I was planning:( but it's vacation!:D Now I have to figure out how to plan Alaska excursions in 3 weeks! :eek:

We're going to cancel our Solstice Alaska bookings for next August and either book the Pacific Coastal for next year or maybe Europe with our FCC.

Guests in Alaska already will receive 100% FCC...just received email

That's better :)

I was thinking about how I would feel if this was me. I would expect not to be out of pocket for my cancelled cruise. Whether Celebrity or my insurance paid, I shouldn't lose money because the cruise has been cancelled. Hotels, flights whatever.

To make up for the disappointment I would expect 100% compensation in the form of FCC if in Alaska already, 50% if not and between 25-50% for the other cruises.

Some people won't be able to make other arrangements because they won't have the money to do so. Some will have taken the only vacation time they have, some will be celebrating big events like 50th birthdays. So there does need to be some compensation for this (FCC)

I also hope the staff on these cruises aren't out of pocket :(

That's better :)

I was thinking about how I would feel if this was me. I would expect not to be out of pocket for my cancelled cruise. Whether Celebrity or my insurance paid, I shouldn't lose money because the cruise has been cancelled. Hotels, flights whatever.

To make up for the disappointment I would expect 100% compensation in the form of FCC if in Alaska already, 50% if not and between 25-50% for the other cruises.

Some people won't be able to make other arrangements because they won't have the money to do so. Some will have taken the only vacation time they have, some will be celebrating big events like 50th birthdays. So there does need to be some compensation for this (FCC)

I also hope the staff on these cruises aren't out of pocket :(

So well said...thank you!

Archived