Tain ride to denali vs white pass train ride

buslady1

There is a lot of difference between the two. The ride in Skagway is a good option there but not the only option. But I would not discount the Skagway ride just because you took the train to Denali as they are very different.

When we were in Alaska many years ago we took an excursion that took the train one way and had a bus ride on the return trip which had some interesting stops including a great salmon bake for lunch.

I agree that there is considerable difference between the two. The Skagway train is more historical, with the design inside and out definitely different accordingly. It is also more narrow (not sure what the correct train terms are:)) whereas the Alaska Railroad experience is more like riding on Amtrak comfort wise (if Amtrak had observation cars of course). I am not denigrating it - it was wonderful. I guess you could say you see some similar sights in riding either (wonderful mountain scenes, creeks and rivers, etc.) but the experience itself is quite different. I wanna say there was some narration on the Skagway train as well but honestly it has been so many years I am not 100% sure of that. I have only been to Skagway once and we did the train ride, so not sure what other options there are (other than walking around town, which has some nice shops and cute little bars and restaurants). BTW, we booked our Skagway ride ourselves and saved a few dollars off the Celebrity price - not sure if that still holds true but worth considering. The train is right there when you exit the ship so transportation is not an issue.

Edited by phoenix_dream

If you are a real train buff you should do the round trip on the train. If you love scenery, take he bus and it goes to Emerald Lake (which is beautiful). It was one of the most beautiful scenery. We stopped for a barbeque lunch in a small town. You also see the train from the other side of the river. You need to take your passport on both trips since you go into Canada. The bus and train ride ride is at least 6 hours, In hindsight I'm glad we took the bus and train. But we are train buffs and I know my DH would have just loved the round trip train ride. We did this trip in 1999 and it is like yesterday (also did land and cruise for 2 weeks). The description of the train is spot on (Amtrak like and Skagway is on a Narrow Gage Railroad (and safe).

ENJOY!!!!:)

If you like energetic hikes there is an option in Skagway which lets you ride the White Pass train up about half way (albeit probably missing the most "AAAaaaaahhhh" scenery but we've been on scenic trains before) and then get OFF in the middle of nowhere. We did that with 12 or so of our new best friends and three guides last summer. I forget what the official excursion is called, Laughton Glacier rail and hike??? but it's strenuous but oh so much fun. Let's just say I'm not in tip top physical condition but even I was able to do it.

The guides carried lots of bottled water (we carried a couple ourselves) and supplies but we had to do work ourselves and pick our way up the glacier. It's in the forest and out in the open with huge vista views at times, and at other times just an amazing walk up the glacier with the mountains soaring all around us. Indescribable, even in the misty cold rainy morning. We had specifically brought hiking books and poles and appropriate gear for this, but they had stuff in case you didn't.

The guides set out sandwich and snack materials in the train on the way up and we made our own lunch and packed them away in our backpacks. At some point we all got off, much to the wonder and questioning looks of the rest of the people in the entire train. You could literally see their faces, like why did these people get off in the middle of the woods and what's going on??!!!

I had brought my own Leki ski poles but they had poles as well. One definitely wanted them. We hiked up a glacier a couple thousand feet (maybe 3, 4 miles in???) and crossed a stream (covered with ice and snow) a couple times, crossed boulders. It was FUN!!! Started raining and was freezing on the way back, we looked like ice-covered drowned rats coming back onto Infinity. Others were returning from a nice stroll in town and we looked like something the cat dragged in, tired, winded, freezing cold, wet, but having had a most unique day, a very Alaskan experience.

It's definitely not an excursion for everyone. You get some of the train but honestly the train ride isn't what I remember, it was the hike and the VIEWS! Our guides say very few people do it, but we got unique perspectives and views that can only be seen if you hike the Laughton Glacier far far away from where any mode of transportation can take you, other than your own feet.

I remember meeting our butler in the hallway as we walked to our room and he laughed and said he was bringing us hot chocolate and tea immediately! If you're up for it, it's a fabulous day, one you'll never forget. You get part of the train, just not all of it.

I hope this wasn't too off-topic but it seemed a good place to insert it since there WAS some train ride involved, both directions.

• 4 months later...

The White Pass and Yukon is one of the last (if not the last) narrow gauge railway left in North America.

It's path is similar to the path the miners took during the gold rush.

When we did it in 1999, you could actually still see the trail in spots.

The trip to Denali is very different.

They are both beautiful and worth doing IMHO

although you didn't ask, the best day trip, by far, for us was the helicopter to the dogsled camp. Incredible views and real dog sledding (not the fake ones with wheels). The scenic railway was a very enjoyable day with nice scenery on a historic train/railway. (note: we saw very few animals). Denali train is very different..modern sightseeing cars (also very few animals). On a nice day, both are great rides....

The White Pass and Yukon is one of the last (if not the last) narrow gauge railway left in North America.

It's path is similar to the path the miners took during the gold rush.

When we did it in 1999, you could actually still see the trail in spots.

The trip to Denali is very different.

They are both beautiful and worth doing IMHO

Just a quick comment from an Alaskan -- the Chilkoot Trail was the historic overland trail from Dyea (which is now a ghost town but is very near Skagway) into the Klondike gold fields. The trail itself still exists, and folks still do hike it. It is managed through a cooperative agreement between Parks Canada and the US National Park Service. The iconic image of the stampeders climbing the stairs of ice (called the "Golden Stairs) to the summit is taken on this trail, and one of the Alaska license plates (it is confusing since we have several) depicts this image. The Chilkoot is miles west of both the White Pass and Yukon Railway and the lower part of the Klondike Highway. The trail referenced by the above poster is a pack trail, but also is from the gold rush era.

One couple at our table did a train ride and said it was long, boring and mostly trees...If I remember right it was the one that went up the mountain?????

I find it curious to find folks posting second hand information/impressions. It also must have been interesting to spend time with folks who found the WPYRR "long, boring and mostly trees" since the WPYRR uses historic narrow gauge rail tracks and the scenery is generally considered breathtaking, with cliffs and even views of the ships in the port far below. The WPYRR does an excellent live narration which focuses on the history of the construction of the WPYRR (it was quite the construction feat) and the importance of the Klondike gold rush which impacted the entire world.

Obviously the poster who said "the ride was boring" does not enjoy riding trains and looking at fantastic scenery. It's been over 14 years since we did the trip and the memories are one of the best. If you are a train buff do the train both ways. If not, do the 6 hour combination bus and train. Good luck.

Dear OP,

My family and I had the pleasure of travelling on the Denali Star from Anchorage to Fairbanks after our cruise of July 2013 as part of our tour of Alaska. The train ride between Anchorage and Denali was spectacular. The change in tundra really does not hit home until you see it. The journey even kept my 13 year old son entertained moose watching.

We paid extra for the Gold Service and pre-paid meals and it was worth every penny (British term). If you have the funds, do upgrade so that you can sit in the glass domed coaches. There is also a deck at the back of the coach which you can stand on and take photos untroubled by the glass. Non-alcoholic refreshments are included in the price and the hostess gives commentary along the way.

I can't speak to the Denali train since we drove from Anchorage to Talkeetna and then to Denali and Fairbanks. We did see the train and it is a typical Amtrack type train, at least externally.

The White Pass RR in Skagway is altogether different. We took that excursion and loved it. As a previous poster stated, if you enjoy trains, the ride and the scenery are not to be missed. We were fortunate to be in Skagway on a day that the steam powered engine was being used. It runs only on specific days of the week. If you have that opportunity to take it, I would highly recommend the steam powered engine and train. This is a trip back in time. You have the ability to stand in the vestibule of the car and experience the outside with all the accompanying sounds of a steam locomotive running along the tracks.

It is a good day worth of travel. We purchased lunches at one of the cafes in town along with drinks and snacks for the trip and picnicked while we rode. If my memory is correct, there was water available if you wanted some.

Either way, enjoy the trip.:)

We saw a brown bear on the track on the White Horse Pass train journey return to Skagway.

The train stopped and the man giving the commentary said it was the first time he had ever seen one.

I hadn't realised that the steam train only runs on certain days.

We were certainly lucky.