Missing a port boarding time on purpose.

Kinny

Hello. I'm looking at the New England sailings and wondering if anyone missed the boarding time on purpose at Portland, ME to spend a day/night sight seeing in a rental car and then catch up the next day at Bar Harbor, ME? I suppose we have to let either the cruise director or hotel director know about the plan?

Thanks in advance. :D

Hello. I'm looking at the New England sailings and wondering if anyone missed the boarding time on purpose at Portland, ME to spend a day/night sight seeing in a rental car and then catch up the next day at Bar Harbor, ME? I suppose we have to let either the cruise director or hotel director know about the plan?

you better not wait until you are on the ship to get the OK to do this. The CD has nothing to do with your plan

you better not wait until you are on the ship to get the OK to do this. The CD has nothing to do with your plan

So this should be communicated through RCCL before we show up at embarkation? Just trying to see if that's even possible since plenty of people miss boarding time often, but I just never seen anyone mention missing it intentionally just so they can stay at one port longer.

I am by no means an expert on this by any means, but...

If your ship has not visited a foreign port there is a very high chance, the ship would be fined for transporting a US citizen between US ports, which is a violation of the silly and antiquated PVSA (passenger vessel service act), and if the ship is fined you can guarantee you'll get a surprise on your seapass!!

Surely the logical thing would be to contact the company beforehand and ask permission to leave the ship in one port and return in the other. Not sure why that would be a problem if you let them know beforehand.

To just not turn up and expect the ship to wait and put out messages and then delay departure would be a little selfish wouldn't it? Or am I misunderstanding your question :confused:

If your ship has not visited a foreign port there is a very high chance, the ship would be fined for transporting a US citizen between US ports, which is a violation of the silly and antiquated PVSA (passenger vessel service act), and if the ship is fined you can guarantee you'll get a surprise on your seapass!!

You know I have read something about this. I will have to research this. Would hate a big bill on the seapass card. LOL! Thanks!

At some ports doing that would be fine, but at others it would not.

Be sure to get permission in writing in advance, especially if you are considering ports where there is a possible violation of the PVSA or other cabotage laws.

I am just thinking about the people who missed their cruise out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, rented a car to drive to Key West, and were denied boarding there.

Just trying to see if that's even possible since plenty of people miss boarding time often . . . . .

I really don't agree with your statement here. There are times when inconsiderate/forgetful/inattentive/drunk passengers miss boarding time, but it is the exception and - thankfully - not a frequent occurrence, when compared with the number of cruises and destinations world-wide.

I know that I've read of passengers making a last-minute dash to get on board in some particular ports, and of how entertaining other passengers find it to watch this. But, to delay the ship's departure is a nuisance. It can cost the ship more in port charges, and the constant announcements to "Mr and Mrs Smith, stateroom 9999, if you are on board, please contact the froint office immediately," are irritating to everyone else on board.

So yes, if you intend to miss boarding time and rejoin the ship at the next port, first find out from Head Office if it will be allowed, then get permission before your cruise even starts and, finally, confirm your intentions when you get on the ship. It's best to have the permission in writing, and show this at the front desk.

I did this in India, leaving the ship at Cochin and rejoining it 3 days later in Mumbai - but I did it formally, with prior permission etc.

my friends teenage children were with an approved tour in Cozumel.They missed the last shuttle back to the ship because of a misunderstanding.The parents could see them from the ship but the kids could not get there. The kids were in bathing suits and sandals . The sleep all night in a hallway.and we're then flown out to New Orleans . Someone at the airport gave the girl a sweater ,The parents had to cough up in cash almost Two thousand dollars to get them home. The ship knew they were on there way but would not wait.

my friends teenage children were with an approved tour in Cozumel.They missed the last shuttle back to the ship because of a misunderstanding.The parents could see them from the ship but the kids could not get there. The kids were in bathing suits and sandals . The sleep all night in a hallway.and we're then flown out to New Orleans . Someone at the airport gave the girl a sweater ,The parents had to cough up in cash almost Two thousand dollars to get them home. The ship knew they were on there way but would not wait.

What is an approved tour? It obviously was not a ship's tour or they would have never been left behind.

If the ports of call are sequentially one day after the other, aside from the night in between, not sure how much extra sight seeing time you would gain by this?? Why bother in the first place?

And - as clearly pointed out by others - this would be something you would need to notify them of and get permission for in advance. They would not take too kindly to finding out after the fact (and they will) that you did this intentionally without their knowledge.

Silly and antiquated as you feel the PVSA may be, it is still the guideline that dictates the policies to be followed by the cruise industry regarding this. And, as you point out, fines can (and will) be levied for anything that is determined to be a violation.

We were on a Meditteranean Cruise last year and some passengers chose to stay overnight in a port and then catch up with the ship at the next port. It is doable, but you need to get permission beforehand.
We were on a Med cruises once where some people decided to do that without asking permission. They were not allowed to reboard the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh believe me, I will make sure to get permission just so they know and not wait on me. :)
The ship will not willingly let you cause them to violate the PVSA. Your best case scenario if you do it without permission is a $300/person charge, worst case is them not allowing you back on the ship and charging you $300/person.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In Europe this is done, but Europe has no issue with the PVSA; on most of Royals itineraries, you will be in Boston, then Portland,then BH, then Canada, so they would be in violation if they "allowed" officially, unlike someone doing something similar in Europe.

Also, take it from a person who spends a lot of time in this area- this is likely a fall cruise and it will begin to get dark right around 5:30-6 PM, which is when the ship leaves anyway, so you will not "see" much along Route 1 (the main coastal scenic route) anyway. Come morning, you'll have more daylight, but one day is already too short for Bar Harbor anyway, and if you'll be spending half the day in say, Camden, along the way, you will really miss a lot! These towns are similar enough in look and feel (locals will beg to differ, but for someone from away, the "Mainey" feeling is similar!;))

Bar Harbor has both a lovely little port town with unique shops ( no Diamonds International or chain restaurants!) and there are also loads of sites to see and activities to do related to the National Park- you won't want to lose any time there.

My advice is stay onboard and enjoy the view from the water to the shore- it's spectacular and too much of Route 1 is through the towns main streets with little glimpses of the sea here and there!

In Europe this is done, but Europe has no issue with the PVSA; on most of Royals itineraries, you will be in Boston, then Portland,then BH, then Canada, so they would be in violation if they "allowed" officially, unlike someone doing something similar in Europe.

Also, take it from a person who spends a lot of time in this area- this is likely a fall cruise and it will begin to get dark right around 5:30-6 PM, which is when the ship leaves anyway, so you will not "see" much along Route 1 (the main coastal scenic route) anyway. Come morning, you'll have more daylight, but one day is already too short for Bar Harbor anyway, and if you'll be spending half the day in say, Camden, along the way, you will really miss a lot! These towns are similar enough in look and feel (locals will beg to differ, but for someone from away, the "Mainey" feeling is similar!;))

Bar Harbor has both a lovely little port town with unique shops ( no Diamonds International or chain restaurants!) and there are also loads of sites to see and activities to do related to the National Park- you won't want to lose any time there.

My advice is stay onboard and enjoy the view from the water to the shore- it's spectacular and too much of Route 1 is through the towns main streets with little glimpses of the sea here and there!

That's exactly the information I need. I will stay onboard then. Thank you for everyone's help. You've given me a lot of useful info. :D

Kinny

That's exactly the information I need. I will stay onboard then. Thank you for everyone's help. You've given me a lot of useful info. :D

Kinny

Enjoy! :D Wish I was still around, Fall is the most spectacular time here in Maine! I stay all summer but my kids and work follow the school calendar, so I always miss the best part. ;). Enjoy your cruise, and pack a nice warm fleece and windbreaker/rain coat and wooly or fleecy hat and gloves- you'll be more comfortable on deck in the mornings and afternoons!

I agree with FGB. It's a nice road trip if you have a few days to stop and enjoy but to leap frog to the next port, you won't see much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is an approved tour? It obviously was not a ship's tour or they would have never been left behind.

My cousin and I were on an excursion, that we booked through RCI, in Ochos Rios and we were 2 hours late getting back to the ship. The ship waited on us and did not leave until we were all back on board. They did send us a form asking us to tell them what happened on our excursion though.

The river tour guide just walked off and left our whole group at the bottom of a waterfall. We all had to climb up on our own and it took us a lot longer to do so.

Something I haven´t seen mentioned here, but worth considering.

Baaaaah Haaabaaaah is a tender port and they have a bigger Chance of being missed. So there´s a risk the ship won´t make it there and thus you couldn´t re-board if that happened.

Archived