Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

It's not really about being seen as a noob on the ship, but when you get off the ship in ports. They're not looking to steal your key card, they'll be looking for the tourists, either for easy marks be it robbery, or trying selling you stuff. (they may only ask you to buy their souvineer once, but there will be 50 of them hounding you one after the other when you only wanted to spend a nice day.)

That said, I prefer to use the clip on kind with the retractable cord. It's never in my way, (or flying in my face as one poster said) can be stashed in my pocket in port, and it makes that awesome zippy sound when you fidget with it.

They do also make these in every color complete with rhinestones if you like.

Love the idea of a blinged out clip. :cool: I have a couple from my working days so I may have to jazz them up a bit for my cruise. Thanks for the inspiration!

Everybody should do what makes them comfortable.

What makes me comfortable is minimizing the chance I can lose my card, so yes, lanyard.

I gave up having the slightest concern about being identified as a dork 50 years ago. So far that is working well for me.

I don't know if its been mentioned - But putting your Card in your pocket along with Mobile Phone or in your Phone case will demagnetize your Card .

I don't like anything around my neck - But will try a Lanyard next time and see how I go . Had to get a few Cards replaced due to the Demag issue on my last Cruise -

I don't know if its been mentioned - But putting your Card in your pocket along with Mobile Phone or in your Phone case will demagnetize your Card .

-

It's highly unlikely that your phone demagnetized your card. More than likely the cause was a slight scratch or even a bend in your card. That's much, much, much more likely to ruin it than having it next to your phone. If your cell phone was in a case that had a magnet, that can increase the changes, but they are still low.

I hate carrying a wallet, and many times when I'm headed out, I'll take a credit card, my drivers license, my iPhone and and put them all together in my front pocket. Been doing this for years, never had a problem with a card not working.

Lanyards remind me of work. I had to wear one for years and never could wear my necklaces because they kept getting tangled with the darn thing.

On my last two cruises you had to put the key card in a slot for the power to stay on so you couldn't just leave it in a holder on the lanyard anyway.

I bet any card will do ;)

When I cruise Disney I wear my lanyard.... but I like to pin trade.

When I go next month on Carnival I do not plan on using a lanyard... I have a ton of pockets in my cargo shorts.

Edited by martinm

I don't like anything around my neck - But will try a Lanyard next time and see how I go . Had to get a few Cards replaced due to the Demag issue on my last Cruise -

It's quite unlikly to get a card with a magnetic strip.

The current cards are of the RF ID type and are unaffected by minor magnetic fields.

Edited by martinm

Maybe they are different than the Disney ones??

I work with RF ID badges and cards all the time. They are comletely unaffected by cell phones or I'd have to replace 50 a week for my employees.

I wonder what kinda cards Celebrety is using??

I guess it is hard to admit it..........but.............

well

um

I kinda

well

you know

um

,use a lanyard.

.shhhhhh

don't tell anyone.

I just like it on board, and I dont lose it since I don't carry a purse, and husband is not always attached at the hip:eek:

Sea Ya

Love your post!!! :D

I use one also, most of my clothes don't have pockets. Even jeans that seem to have pockets don't really have pockets. :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I did end up wearing lanyards...In fact I brought a wardrobe of them. All of them were rhinestone covered....and everywhere I went people asked where they could buy them. I purchased mine on amazon.com, often for less than three dollars; but they were for sale on board for ten dollars.

The one waterproof one was ideal for my snorkeling excursions. I jumped off the catamaran without worrying about my sea pass or the cash that I ended up using at the beach snack bar.

We've signed up for next year's cruise...I'm going to bring a pile of lanyards to give to friends.

Well, I did end up wearing lanyards...In fact I brought a wardrobe of them. All of them were rhinestone covered....and everywhere I went people asked where they could buy them. I purchased mine on amazon.com, often for less than three dollars; but they were for sale on board for ten dollars.

The one waterproof one was ideal for my snorkeling excursions. I jumped off the catamaran without worrying about my sea pass or the cash that I ended up using at the beach snack bar.

We've signed up for next year's cruise...I'm going to bring a pile of lanyards to give to friends.

Which waterproof one did you try? I've seen lots of debate on the boards about if they work or not. Would love it if you could share the model you used. Thanks!

Hard to imagine 6 pages on lanyards. Hard to imagine I am adding to this post.

I keep mine on a lanyard but I stick it i side my shirt. That way it is convenient but does not flop around. Off the ship I put it into my pocket.

BTW - I tried to find a lanyard on the internet that said "RMS Titanic" but I could not find one.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

... and the local islander with bad intentions thinks to himself.." Hmmm, what do we have here...middle aged sunburned couple in the worlds ugliest tropical print shirts, carrying excessive number of t-shirt filled bags, taking pictures of rocks and trees, thinking they look good sipping a blue drink while a paper umbrella jabs at their nose. Could they be tourists? I'm not really sure.... Ohhhh, hey mon, I SEE A LANYARD!!!! NOW I KNOW FOR SURE!!

:D.....lol

Edited by Reader0108598

Never have...never will. I'm astounded by the people who wear lanyards "only" to show that they are "Gold, Diamond, Platinum....etc.". It's true. I don't give a flip how many cruises you've been on. I've been on a ton, but don't need to show it off by my card. That's just strange if you ask me.

As far as the idea, I understand why people do it. I just don't. I think you look like an eight year old who can't keep track of their things. I get kids wearing them, but adults? No thanks. People spend days, weeks and months packing just the "perfect" clothes for a cruise and then shlup a giant tag around your neck everywhere? NICE!

Quick story... we were cruising with some newbies who were asking about why people used lanyards. I went into my "dear God, don't do it" rant. (Remember, that's just my personal opinion). They talked about purchasing one onboard. About 3 days into the cruise, I jokingly told my girlfriend that they had the sparkly bling lanyards in the gift shop if she wanted to wear one. She said....in all sincerity...."Don't worry, I won't embarrass you.....I got a fanny-pack instead". OMG True story.

No lanyards for us! We both wear our work IDs on lanyards and a cruise should have NOTHING in common with being at work! :D

Personally, I HATE wearing a lanyard - drives me nuts. I honestly don't worry much about my card on a cruise. I'm generally with DH and he has pockets for one or both cards. If I'm not with him, I'm probably going to the gym or grabbing breakfast before he wakes up, in which case he's still in the cabin and can let me back in. Usually during the day on a cruise, I'll have some sort of tote bag with me for sunscreen, kindle, camera, etc. I like to carry a small evening bag it night, but if not, I'm probably with DH and he has pockets.

Just off my first cruise so I;m a newbie but I was happy to wear a lanyard and most of the other cruisers were wearing theirs too. My only issue is mine came from our TA and it had our home suburb on the lanyard. My teens thought this was very dorky. Next time, I'm buying one of the bling lanyards from the onboard shop. They were very popular.

Okay, here's a question that isn't quite about a lanyard but it's along those lines. When you're at the beach at one of the ports and you want to swim, do you just leave your stuff on your towel? Or do you wear your lanyard into the water? There's just two of us going (boyfriend and I) and I think we both will want to be in the water at one point. I don't plan on bringing much but we'll need money for taxi, food, etc.

We take along a 'Vacation Vault'. We can secure it to our beach chairs. It is large enough to hold the sea pass, a wallet and a pocket camera. It also comes in many colors.

I hate the pull on my neck. Never wear one at work!

BUT when I am in my swimsuit at the pool & need a cocktail...I need my card! So I bought some pretty beaded lanyards just for that purpose. (if I have pockets I prefer to use them; or a lovely evening bag)

Also--at the beach in port? How to carry ID, cash, credit cards & still swim? Water box is the only practical solution. We don't do more than wade, snorkel or jet ski. Do I like how they look? No. But I don't want to have to have one of us sit while the rest swim--we ALL want to have fun! DH wears his tucked inside his tank when we are moving from ship to shore.

(I despise the look of water shoes also--but I couldn't have done Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica without them! Sometimes logistics trump fashion)

That's it. I'm not wearing a lanyard ever again. I don't want the locals to realize I'm a tourist and a lanyard is a dead give a way apparently. Of course with my blond hair, pale white skin and thick southern accent I blend right in.

:eek: