Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

That's it. I'm not wearing a lanyard ever again. I don't want the locals to realize I'm a tourist and a lanyard is a dead give a way apparently. Of course with my blond hair, pale white skin and thick southern accent I blend right in.

:eek:

THat is always my thought when people talk about looking like a tourist

That's it. I'm not wearing a lanyard ever again. I don't want the locals to realize I'm a tourist and a lanyard is a dead give a way apparently. Of course with my blond hair, pale white skin and thick southern accent I blend right in.

:eek:

...no more lanyard for me either. I'm not wearing a lanyard ever again. I don't want the locals to realize I'm a tourist and a lanyard is a dead give a way apparently.

Of course I will still have my Nikon D90 with its 18-200 lens...hanging around my neck. :eek:

(Ok, I'm still laughing...let's keep this going...)

...no more lanyard for me either. I'm not wearing a lanyard ever again. I don't want the locals to realize I'm a tourist and a lanyard is a dead give a way apparently.

Of course I will still have my Nikon D90 with its 18-200 lens...hanging around my neck. :eek:

(Ok, I'm still laughing...let's keep this going...)

Don't all the natives have a camera around their neck?

Not a newbie. Always use lanyards. I'm not on a cruise for people to judge me. I'm on a cruise for what works for me and convenience. Bought the sequin ones at Dollar General for $5 for the Christmas cruise. Saw them in the gift shop for $12.95. BUT I will warn you that the sequin ones get caught in your hair. I don't have long hair but it did pull on the hair near my neck. Went back to my nice bland black silk one.

I never use them on cruises. I have to wear one at work with my access badges, so no way I'm wearing one on vacation. :) Plus I have long hair, so I would imagine one of the coil-type ones would get tangled. But I definitely don't judge anyone who does wear them as a 'newbie.' :)

I wouldn't use them. They definitely scream "I'm a tourist" when you're off of the ship in port. Normally they're something that kids younger than 10 wear because their parents don't want them to loose their room key. I keep mine in my wallet.

I know what you mean. You have worked so hard to erase "tourist" from yourself. I am sure you fit in with all the locals. You look like them. Speak their language with their accent. Dress like them. Never carry a camera or any of the other touristy junk. You always have the local currency and can easily make change whenever needed.

I know what you mean. You have worked so hard to erase "tourist" from yourself. I am sure you fit in with all the locals. You look like them. Speak their language with their accent. Dress like them. Never carry a camera or any of the other touristy junk. You always have the local currency and can easily make change whenever needed.

That's not what I was getting at at all. There are some places that you visit when cruising were local people will try to take advantage of foreigners. It makes you more of a target because it's so easily recognizable. Just trying to be helpful and give my experience of what I've seen on cruises I've been on. Sorry if I was offensive in anyway. I generally do try to dress in a manner that's socially acceptable wherever I am as not to insult any local customs and I will attempt to converse in local language when I can. I'm not perfect at it but I try. Part of the travel experienced is trying to immerse oneself in other cultures and learn more about them.

Irregardless of whether we wear a lanyard or not...if you are from the US & cruising the Caribbean, Mexico, Asia...you more than likely look nothing like the locals...it is highly unlikely you dress like the locals--you may dress in a way that doesn't offend the locals, but you still don't look like them. Hopefully you are interested in respecting & learning about the culture you are visiting, but you are a tourist, and more than likely look like one no matter how hard you try not to...

But I suppose a lanyard with one's cruise card flipping around from it may make the tourist card 100% clear--

For those that go to the beach, how do you keep $/ID/credit cards secure & dry without a waterbox?

I found a little sealable pouch that was originally intended for a cell phone that works great for that stuff. It not only keeps the water and dirt out, but it also floats. I found it at Eddie Bauer but I'm sure you could easily find them online anywhere. It was only around 10$ and the best thing I've found.

That's not what I was getting at at all. There are some places that you visit when cruising were local people will try to take advantage of foreigners. It makes you more of a target because it's so easily recognizable. Just trying to be helpful and give my experience of what I've seen on cruises I've been on. Sorry if I was offensive in anyway. I generally do try to dress in a manner that's socially acceptable wherever I am as not to insult any local customs and I will attempt to converse in local language when I can. I'm not perfect at it but I try. Part of the travel experienced is trying to immerse oneself in other cultures and learn more about them.

With or without a lanyard, you look like a tourist.

For those that go to the beach, how do you keep $/ID/credit cards secure & dry without a waterbox?

We use a 'Vacation Vault'. It works great. We put our SeaPass cards, wallet, camera and sunscreen in it. There is a metal cable attached to the lid that you use to secure it to your beach chair - thus securing your items and reserving those chairs. You choose the combination for the lock. It is available in 9 colors.

Irregardless of whether we wear a lanyard or not...if you are from the US & cruising the Caribbean, Mexico, Asia...you more than likely look nothing like the locals...it is highly unlikely you dress like the locals--you may dress in a way that doesn't offend the locals, but you still don't look like them. Hopefully you are interested in respecting & learning about the culture you are visiting, but you are a tourist, and more than likely look like one no matter how hard you try not to...

But I suppose a lanyard with one's cruise card flipping around from it may make the tourist card 100% clear--

"Irregardless" or "irregUardless" is not a word, Sorry... my Dad used it for forty years before he found out:D And I will use a lanyard...don't care.

Pictue this. You get all set up at the pool, finally finding the perferct chair, got the hat, the sunscreen, the trashy book and then you get the waiter over and want to order that frothy drink only to discover you don't have your card. Pack eveything up, walk that halfmile back to your cabin, get the card and go back up (no chairs now of course), you'll be happy to wear that lanyard

pictue this. You get all set up at the pool, finally finding the perferct chair, got the hat, the sunscreen, the trashy book and then you get the waiter over and want to order that frothy drink only to discover you don't have your card. Pack eveything up, walk that halfmile back to your cabin, get the card and go back up (no chairs now of course), you'll be happy to wear that lanyard

lol.

We do not wear lanyards. When we go to the beach, my husband uses a water proof phone case and also slips in a little cash, sea pass card, and a credit card. I don't carry anything valuable when me. The most that can be stolen while we are in the water are our towels. If you get a case that is clear in both sides you can still take pictures. We have and fun pictures from snorkeling! We do use a lanyard with the phone case so our hands are free

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001D2O7BC?cache=1389397123&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70#ref=mp_s_a_1_8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimicaj

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going on my first cruise in May and I decided that using a lantern would be a great idea for my boyfriend and I. I could care less if people think I'm dorky! It's my vacation and I'm gonna make it as painless and convenient as possible.

I'm going on my first cruise in May and I decided that using a lantern would be a great idea for my boyfriend and I. I could care less if people think I'm dorky! It's my vacation and I'm gonna make it as painless and convenient as possible.

I realize you meant lanyard not lantern - but it did make me smile. Sorry to say if you were walking around swinging a lantern I'd be looking for your rain coat, hat and lighthouse LOL.