RCCL Announces "Ocean Voyages"

FIRELT5

Maybe RCCL thinks this is better to market, but IMO the term Transatlantic brings back the memories of the old days of sailing and the significance of crossing the ocean. It makes the sailing sound like a major event. The term Ocean Voyage sounds like an afternoon fishing trip you would take while on vacation at the shore. Maybe it markets better to the younger people, but I'm 24 and I prefer the significance of a Transatlantic.

Agree totally. I'll never call transatlantic crossings mere "ocean voyages." It belittles them.

If RCI thought a minute before spewing out that verbose promo, they'd have realized the only passenger ships in the industry who AREN'T making "ocean voyages" on every blessed sailing are those doing river cruises.

And I don't believe in calling passengers "guests," nor walk-in-closet-sized cabins "staterooms." Bah, humbug! :D

Booked one of the included cruises for an UNbelievable fare on Sept 9.

Promotion is for bookings starting on Sept 11,

Oh well.

The promotion only applies to balcony cabins or higher. So if you booked a balcony and used your C&A discount you didn't miss out on anything.

I understand that and was only pointing out the Allure is actually the largest.

The statement made by RCCL said Oasis is the world's largest cruise ship. It didn't state one of the largest. Therefore, their own statement is false.

I just found it strange that their own statement about their own ship is wrong.

Why? For years the RCI website said that Voyager class ships had glass canopies over their solariums.

I would love taking a TA cruise and don't understand why there aren't any sailings while kids are out of school. The closest summer date is August 31st but our schools start back in the middle of August.

Because of this, RCCL has disallowed numerous families from being able to book TA cruises.

Thumbs up for school !!!

I would love taking a TA cruise and don't understand why there aren't any sailings while kids are out of school. The closest summer date is August 31st but our schools start back in the middle of August.

Because of this, RCCL has disallowed numerous families from being able to book TA cruises.

Royal does not schedule regular transatlantic cruises, such as a cruise line like Cunard would do. Royal schedules their transatlantic (or should I say Ocean Voyages) cruises only when then need to reposition a ship. In other words, they feel they can make more money keeping some ships in Europe until late October or early November, and that's when they move the ships back to the states. Those ships usually go back to Europe in April, again to catch the most of the summer in the Med.

As mentioned, the ships must cross in the spring to set up the summer season in Europe. And then they have to get back home for the winter Caribbean sailings. There's no "disallowing," it's just a matter of transportation logistics. Your kids would probably be bored stiff anyway as the passengers are generally older because of the length of the voyage, and there are days and days at seas with nothing but water to look at. ;)

Appears that the same itineraries that used to be designated as Transatlantic cruises have now been given a new name........Ocean Voyages.

interesting and those who booked prior will not get them unless they use a ncc and transfer but would risk losing their cabin that was already booked.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone who sailed on any of the recent transatlantic (sorry... Ocean voyages) experienced the Black & White Masquerade Party?

I don't recall anything like this on our last TA so it must be new.

Delivering the Royal Caribbean WOW in a whole new way, each Ocean Voyage will feature a guest expert, who will lead a line-up of entertainment programming and engaging activities, which feature spotlight topics such as culture, dance, film, visual arts, photography, and wines and cuisine. A highlight of every Ocean Voyage will be the Black & White Masquerade Party, so guests are encouraged to bring along a special outfit for the occasion.

Has anyone who sailed on any of the recent transatlantic (sorry... Ocean voyages) experienced the Black & White Masquerade Party?

We had a "white party" in the solarium on our TA last month from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. We cruised over Halloween so many had costumes. They had a Halloween party and judged costumes. But, there was no masquerade ever mentioned.

Made the crossing on Vision of the Seas Oct. 28-Nov. 10. On Halloween night, there was a costume party (which I missed) with no mention of a black and white theme. Maybe someone who was onboard can let us know how that went down.

There was no specific black & white-themed event, which surprised me because they made such a point of it on all "ocean voyages." But the ship was also fresh out of drydock with a lot of first-time things going on (like new restaurants), so maybe it was more than they could handle.

Just got back from the Navigator TA. On one of the last nights there was a Black and White Dance in Studio B. They said it was for those to get to show off all the dances they had learned during the cruise.

Why? For years the RCI website said that Voyager class ships had glass canopies over their solariums.

And they never seem to get the size of the Freedoms correct or consistent -- bouncing back and forth between the "estimate" of 160,000 gt and the correct size of 154,407 gt. But in this case I would give them a pass. Oasis and Allure are basically the same size. Allure measured fractionally longer, but the article I read quoted the shipyard folks as saying the difference [5 cm] was unintentional and could be accounted for by temperature of the steel. So I don't really object to them calling both the largest.

We booked earlier this year before the "special". Asked if they would honor the coupon for the drink package and was turned down.

We are doing a B2B. Kinda disappointed they will not honor the package for those who book in advance. Other than a slightly lower fare, what is the advantage to booking early? In the past I have asked to have a coupon code applied and have been successful, but apparently not now.

I guess it's time to call directly and not through the travel agent.

The Press Release makes me smile and is one more example of how RCI has taken marketing to new lofty levels. Traditionally, the transatlantic repositioning cruises have been a terrific bargain for those cruises (such as myself) that love the long lazy sea days, the lack of lots of children, and the slower pace. These cruises have not generally been big sellers (especially on lines like RCI where a majority of their regular customers favor shorter more port intensive cruises) and the cruise lines will often sell space at amazing prices. A few years ago we took the Jewel of the Seas on a TA and paid about $62 per passenger day for a nice balcony cabin. Since we were Diamond (this was before there was a Diamond Plus) we got a lot of free booze...and figured that it was almost like we were being paid to take that cruise.

So now, RCI is trying to spin these repo cruises with a nice name (Ocean Voyages) and good marketing. It will be interesting to see if this translates into them filling the ships at a higher price.

Hank

Hello! Yes, I totally agree. RCI only has repositioning cruises, which are not done when families can go. Why not break up the hum drum Eastern/Western or Bermuda/Bahamas cruises offered with a TA to UK or Spain or Italy. Maybe offer one in June with one ship, and another in July with the a different ship. I think that these would be very popular. But instead of 12 day or 15 day cruises, you make them 8,9, or 10 days cruises.

Just got back from the Navigator TA. On one of the last nights there was a Black and White Dance in Studio B. They said it was for those to get to show off all the dances they had learned during the cruise.

Good thing I wasn't there. Even with lessons I still can only manage the "swim" "pony". lol:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by Folk Singer