Royal Princess has reported she lost power in the Med!

MR NW GUY

(2:00 pm ET ) According to initial reports, Princess Cruises’ Royal Princess has lost power while sailing in the Mediterranean Sea.

The ship was sailing between Mykonos and Naples when the power failure occurred. At this time, it is known that emergency generators are keeping critical guest services, such as toilets, available.

Here is an official statement from Princess Cruises regarding the current situation:

“Today at approximately 1:30 pm local time, Royal Princess experienced a power outage. Power is currently in the process of being restored, and in the meantime an emergency backup generator has been used to provide essential services, such as toilets. The ship is not in any danger, and the Captain has been keeping passengers regularly informed about the situation. The ship is currently on the seventh day of a 12-day Mediterranean cruise that departed Venice on September 15. There are 3,594 passengers and 1,336 crew members onboard.”

Last May we lost power while on a Transatlantic on the Crown Princess. We had finished breakfast, gone up the elevator, and was walking down the hall near our room which was located a few door from the self service laundromat. I heard a horrible grinding noise and made the comment to my husband that the dryer sure was making a lot of noise.

We continued down the hall and opened our cabin door when the power went off.

We were located about 200 miles from the Azores. It was a beautiful, sunny day, 65 degrees, and the ocean was a smooth as a mirror. We opened the balcony door and sat on the balcony. The captain made an annoucement over the public address system. One hour and fifteen minutes later, the power was restored.

While I was never worried, it was surreal being "dead in the water". Nothing was moving. No lights, which we didn't really need. No air conditioning, no television. Everything was as quiet as a church mouse. It is one of the few times on the cruise or on any cruise that I have seen all of the balconies occupied.

Last May we lost power while on a Transatlantic on the Crown Princess. We had finished breakfast, gone up the elevator, and was walking down the hall near our room which was located a few door from the self service laundromat. I heard a horrible grinding noise and made the comment to my husband that the dryer sure was making a lot of noise.

We were located about 200 miles from the Azores. It was a beautiful, sunny day, 65 degrees, and the ocean was a smooth as a mirror. We opened the balcony door and sat on the balcony. The captain made an annoucement over the public address system. One hour and fifteen minutes later, the power was restored.

While I was never worried, it was surreal being "dead in the water". Nothing was moving. No lights, which we didn't really need. No air conditioning, no television. Everything was as quiet as a church mouse. It is one of the few times on the cruise or on any cruise that I have seen all of the balconies occupied.

We were with you on that Crown cruise last May (and we're also from Georgia):p Yep, that was a very strange feeling. We were also on a cruise in Hawaii on Princess when the same thing happened. Hope it's not US!

As I'm boarding the Royal in 17 days, I hope there are no big problems they have to work out. Things happen sometimes; just don't want this to be a regular occurence.

We were on RCCL and lost power out in the Pacific Ocean on our way back to Seattle. Everything got so quiet and suddenly a knock at our door. Daughter in law said "are we supposed to be standing still out here!"

They soon got is resolved....but these thing do happen.

Good luck to all aboard and hope their cruise ends well!

We were with you on that Crown cruise last May (and we're also from Georgia):p Yep, that was a very strange feeling. We were also on a cruise in Hawaii on Princess when the same thing happened. Hope it's not US!

As I'm boarding the Royal in 17 days, I hope there are no big problems they have to work out. Things happen sometimes; just don't want this to be a regular occurence.

I wish that I had known you on the Transatlantic. I also wish that I was going to be onboard with you in 17 days, but our Royal experience will be later this year.

Y'all have a nice cruise and let us all know how you like the ship. I can't wait to be onboard. We received a move-over offer and chose the Royal for the ship. I am so excited to see how it looks. The photos that I have seen are beautiful.

Sounds like losing power whilst on a ship happens more often than you'd think.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am just glad that I wasn't still in the elevator. I am clautophobic and would have really been stressing in an elevator.

Hi All

Been onboard ship, when they have run power cut drills for the crew,

sure is a very odd feeling, very dark in side the ship, even with the

emergency lighting.

Hope they get the problem fixed with TA coming up

yours Shogun

I was on that cruise, too. I was in the MDR on Deck 5 waiting to begin the mid-afternoon trivia session and my DH was in our cabin taking a mid-afternoon nap. So it must have been after you ate lunch, not breakfast. Everything went totally silent and still. The main power was actually out for less than an hour, and there was some low-level emergency lighting in the MDR. I was right at the window, looking out on a sunny day, as we floated atop a dead calm sea.

I'm not nervous. I'm not anxious. I am packing. We leave for Barcelona on Wednesday to board the Royal on Friday. I have confidence that all will work out well.

Same here. Just heard from my parents and sister that are on that ship. They were w/o power for 4.5 hours and had to cancel the Naples stop. My sister and mom were out on the deck listening to music to pass the time. BTW, my sister says that the music on the Royal is fabulous! Just going to pack my camping flashlight, which I was going to do anyway.

We were on an NCL ship in the North Sea and lost power in the middle of the night. The quiet is what woke us up and just after that the captain announced they were working on the problem. We decided to dress and go up for a cup of coffee.

We opened our door to find the across-the-hall neighbor, in an inside cabin, had pulled her chair into her doorway and was sitting there with just the emergency lights illuminating the hall. Since there was moonlight and starlight that night, we propped open our door so she could also see through our cabin window.

By the time we got back down from getting coffee, the sun was coming up. Shortly after that we had power again. Whatever the problem, it stayed "fixed" which we were thankful for since we remained on for the next cruise, a Transatlantic.

Mary Jane

I am just glad that I wasn't still in the elevator. I am clautophobic and would have really been stressing in an elevator.

My first 36 minutes aboard a cruise ship in my life were spent stuck in the elevator of the Golden Princess...

A flashlight is a must have for any vacation I take. And it spends its time on the nightstand beside my bed.

I've only had to use it once. It was on the Princess cruise in the middle of the night. No power in an inside cabin is nerve wracking. That was our last inside cabin, too.

I just printed out my "packing list" for my Royal T/A this morning. I'd greyed out "flashlight." Think I'll bring my little wind-up flashlight for "just in case." I'm also bringing a charging battery for my iPad. :)

If we lose power, it'll be an "adventure." Not something I'd get upset about. :) I remember the Northeast blackout of 1965 and walking down 31 flights of stairs in the Time-LIFE building in total darkness except for an occasional flashlight.

Archived