Royal Princess has reported she lost power in the Med!

MR NW GUY

If we lose power, it'll be an "adventure." Not something I'd get upset about. :)

That is a great attitude. There is nothing you can do and if you get yourself worked up everything will be negative after that.

Reminds me of last year when we sailed during "Sandy". We had some great stories to tell. So many upset people, especially the ones who did not purchase insurance - you booked a cruise in hurricane season.

I was on that cruise, too. I was in the MDR on Deck 5 waiting to begin the mid-afternoon trivia session and my DH was in our cabin taking a mid-afternoon nap. So it must have been after you ate lunch, not breakfast. Everything went totally silent and still. The main power was actually out for less than an hour, and there was some low-level emergency lighting in the MDR. I was right at the window, looking out on a sunny day, as we floated atop a dead calm sea.

I sort of remember that power outage occurring around 11 am. It went until after noon, so depending on when redtogo had breakfast, she could be right. Or depending on when the trivia session was, you could be right. ;)

I have carried a flashlight for the last 5or 6 cruises. It has a regular white beam, but also has a flashing red beam that can be activated. I have never had to use it.

Unrelated, but I also found some night light that have two skinny prongs. Someone had posted that the bathroom light also turns on the cabin light so I thought a nightlight may be handy to have.

I sort of remember that power outage occurring around 11 am. It went until after noon, so depending on when redtogo had breakfast, she could be right. Or depending on when the trivia session was, you could be right. ;)

You are correct, StLouisCruiser. It started at like 11:01am and was out until 12:15pm. I had looked at my watch so I can confirm the times you mentioned are correct. We had eaten breakfast, walked around a bit, and then started back to the cabin.

I feel that the other poster must have had a different outage than the one we experienced.

What an introduction to cruising you had!

I love the picture with the Hurricane glass. I remember when they used to have those as souvenir glasses. Maybe they still do, I'm not sure. The picture brought back memories of bringing some of them home.

I believe Princess is owned by Carnival. And a brand new ship! Carnival really did something to anger the sea god Poseidon! They just can't get a break. We are going on the Royal the end of October for the 5 day to Turks & Caicos. As on all cruise trips we bring 2 flashlights, a handheld battery powered VHF Marine 2 way radio (use them with the jet ski and boats also) and a handheld GPS as well as our cell phones and iPads. Fortune favors the prepared cruiser!

We were on an NCL ship in the North Sea and lost power in the middle of the night. The quiet is what woke us up and just after that the captain announced they were working on the problem. We decided to dress and go up for a cup of coffee.

We opened our door to find the across-the-hall neighbor, in an inside cabin, had pulled her chair into her doorway and was sitting there with just the emergency lights illuminating the hall. Since there was moonlight and starlight that night, we propped open our door so she could also see through our cabin window.

By the time we got back down from getting coffee, the sun was coming up. Shortly after that we had power again. Whatever the problem, it stayed "fixed" which we were thankful for since we remained on for the next cruise, a Transatlantic.

Mary Jane

Oh goodness. Never thought about not having any light at all in an inside cabin should a ship lose power.:eek:

My first 36 minutes aboard a cruise ship in my life were spent stuck in the elevator of the Golden Princess...

Nice to see from your signature that you are still cruising.:D

(5:50 pm et) princess cruises, in a response to a post on their facebook page, has confirmed that power has been restored aboard the royal princess. According to the post, the royal princess is currently en-route to naples, italy.

Good news folks!!!

I believe Princess is owned by Carnival. And a brand new ship! Carnival really did something to anger the sea god Poseidon! They just can't get a break. We are going on the Royal the end of October for the 5 day to Turks & Caicos. As on all cruise trips we bring 2 flashlights, a handheld battery powered VHF Marine 2 way radio (use them with the jet ski and boats also) and a handheld GPS as well as our cell phones and iPads. Fortune favors the prepared cruiser!

How so you get the VHF radio n board? Thought 2 ways were on the "not allowed list"?

A flashlight is now on my packing list...funny I always had a corkscrew on the list, but never a flashlight...priorities!!;)

We purchased some of those LED miner type head band lights after the Costa Concordia incident. They slip around your head and you have a hands free light to guide you if you ever need to use it. We bring them now on every cruise, just in case.

(2:00 pm ET ) According to initial reports, Princess Cruises’ Royal Princess has lost power while sailing in the Mediterranean Sea.

The ship was sailing between Mykonos and Naples when the power failure occurred. At this time, it is known that emergency generators are keeping critical guest services, such as toilets, available.

Here is an official statement from Princess Cruises regarding the current situation:

“Today at approximately 1:30 pm local time, Royal Princess experienced a power outage. Power is currently in the process of being restored, and in the meantime an emergency backup generator has been used to provide essential services, such as toilets. The ship is not in any danger, and the Captain has been keeping passengers regularly informed about the situation. The ship is currently on the seventh day of a 12-day Mediterranean cruise that departed Venice on September 15. There are 3,594 passengers and 1,336 crew members onboard.”

Geez on a brand new ship.

(5:50 pm ET) Princess Cruises, in a response to a post on their Facebook page, has confirmed that power has been restored aboard the Royal Princess. According to the post, the Royal Princess is currently en-route to Naples, Italy.

Thanks for sharing the good news...I'll remove my folding oars from our upcoming cruise's list of things to bring. :p

How so you get the VHF radio n board? Thought 2 ways were on the "not allowed list"?

I have never even been asked. It is in my "cruise bag" with all my electronics. It goes through the xray machine but have never had any cruise line even ask or look. Not sure why it would be a problem. It also has FRS bands that we use to talk to each other when on shore shopping.

We also had a power failure on the Royal during last months sailing. It didn't last too long and I hope this isn't a recurring issue. As I mentioned in my review, a friend did a tour of the bridge the following morning, and the captain explained how modern the Royal is with redundant systems that would not allow them to be without power or stranded for too long.

As a result of the problems with the Carmival ships, all new cruiseships must be built so that backup power generators can maintain critical support systems or get them to shore on their own.

Archived