Royal Princess has reported she lost power in the Med!

MR NW GUY

I sort of remember that power outage occurring around 11 am. It went until after noon, so depending on when redtogo had breakfast, she could be right. Or depending on when the trivia session was, you could be right. ;)

My DH and I just remembered it differently from y'all. Maybe it was a special late morning trivia session they added that day? No matter... But it was definitely the same cruise and the same outage - on the Crown's April 28th TA as we were on our way to Gibraltar from the Azores.

We always bring at least one small flashlight with us, and one of our travel umbrellas also has an LED flashlight on the end of the handle.

(5:50 pm ET) Princess Cruises, in a response to a post on their Facebook page, has confirmed that power has been restored aboard the Royal Princess. According to the post, the Royal Princess is currently en-route to Naples, Italy.

Good news indeed. We board her on the 9th.....:):):)

Bob

We purchased some of those LED miner type head band lights after the Costa Concordia incident. They slip around your head and you have a hands free light to guide you if you ever need to use it. We bring them now on every cruise, just in case.

Glad you mentioned this. I got DH a baseball cap with LED on the brim to use setting up the camper after dark.

I believe Princess is owned by Carnival. And a brand new ship! Carnival really did something to anger the sea god Poseidon! They just can't get a break.
Do you mean Carnival Corporation & Plc, a holding company that owns Princess, Cunard, HAL, Seabourn, Carnival Cruise Lines, etc.; or are you referring to Carnival Cruise lines? Carnival Cruise Lines has nothing to do with Princess as the lines are managed separately.

I worked for many years as a flight attendant. We were required to carry a flashlight as part of our carryon/onboard items. It is second nature to me to carry a flashlight. We not only carry flashlights to keep in the cabin but have very small lanyard types that we wear all the time onboard.

we also are leaving wed to Barcelona to do the 30 day cruise. The ship is under half power now so I quess they will have it all figured out before heading across the pond.

I leave Wednesday also for Barcelona and the 30 day cruise. Had my flashlight already packed but I think now I will stick in some extra batteries, especially since I'm in an inside cabin for the first part of the cruise. I'm glad they have power restored and I hope it lasts.

Though I always have my corkscrew :p, I have never brought a flashlight on a cruise. But I guess I will be doing it from now on. I, like others, did not realize that power outages were as frequent as they seem to be. (Perhaps they occur due to someone sticking their corkscrew into an electrical socket...:cool:)

What worries, me, though, is a fire started by some electrical problem. If they can't keep the electricity on -- on a new ship! -- I worry that there are undiscovered electrical issues that could cause a fire.

And it may be pleasant and peaceful to be drifting without power in a bathtub-smooth sea, but what if there is a storm? Not a happy thought.

Does anyone know which cruise ships have back-up generator systems and which don't, or how to find out?

Actually, I am not as much of a scaredy-cat as I sound -- I guess I am just gifted with the ability to imagine worst-case scenarios. :o

For a brand new ship to loose power and propulsion twice is dangerous for passengers, especially when it lasts for 3.5 hours. What if it happened in a storm close to land or when docking.

It must be due to a design fault.

While the ship is still in Europe Princess Cruises should sail the ship to the Fincantieri Building Yard in Monfalcone, Italy, tell them to fix the faulty

systems before there is a major disaster.

It is unacceptable that passengers should be put at risk.

Oh goodness. Never thought about not having any light at all in an inside cabin should a ship lose power.

I bought this at lowe's:

http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/flashlights/flashlight/Pages/compact-rechargeable-led-light.aspx

It's a handy rechargeable flashlight, and it's also an emergency

light. You can leave it plugged in charging, and if the power

fails, the light comes on.

And, it has a little red led that's on when it's charging, so it's easy to find

when needed as a flashlight.

Sent from your-keyboard using your-browser-name

The reports on the "news" board are correct. It was 8 hours before we actually got underway and were sailing again about 10 pm or so last night. The crew has been fantastic and managed to pull together the formal night menu last night at the last minute!

The Captain has been very frequent in his updates, however at breakfast he announced that the rest of the cruise will be cancelled and passengers disembarked in Naples tomorrow and Wed. They need more time for the repairs. We won't be arriving in Naples until about 10pm tonight- about 14-15 hours behind schedule.

Princess is going to be taking care of everything-they are really going the extra mile to provide the appropriate service and have been more than accommodating! We are very impressed in spite of the huge disappointment- as we had been upgraded to a suite this cruise and the ship is beautiful, and the crew fabulous.

Sounds like there is something more serious than Princess or the Captain are letting on about! to cancel the cruise suggests that there may have been some sort of Electrical fire.

It seems that a lot of ships built at Fincantieri have suffered these blackout situations probably due to building bigger ships but not increasing the Electrical systems to cope with the extra demand .ie Bigger ship but with Grand class Electrics.

Fingers crossed that they manage to get it sorted out for you guys who are on the next cruise ... :)

The reports on the "news" board are correct. It was 8 hours before we actually got underway and were sailing again about 10 pm or so last night. The crew has been fantastic and managed to pull together the formal night menu last night at the last minute!

The Captain has been very frequent in his updates, however at breakfast he announced that the rest of the cruise will be cancelled and passengers disembarked in Naples tomorrow and Wed. They need more time for the repairs. We won't be arriving in Naples until about 10pm tonight- about 14-15 hours behind schedule.

Princess is going to be taking care of everything-they are really going the extra mile to provide the appropriate service and have been more than accommodating! We are very impressed in spite of the huge disappointment- as we had been upgraded to a suite this cruise and the ship is beautiful, and the crew fabulous.

Truly an unfortunate way to end the cruise, but glad to hear Princess is taking care of everyone. Safe travels and hope to hear more soon if you are able.

WOW...something must be seriously wrong to cancel the rest of the voyage. Sounds like they have about five days to get it fixed and back to Barcelona for the following sailing. Unbelievable. Having just done this cruise in July, I can not imagine traveling all the way to Europe and then missing the last four ports...and unlike a Caribbean cruise this trip is once in a lifetime for some people.

Safe travels home and I look forward to more updates.

So sorry to hear that your cruise has been cut short and I hope you enjoyed every minute in your suite.

Safe travels home!

Sounds like there is something more serious than Princess or the Captain are letting on about! to cancel the cruise suggests that there may have been some sort of Electrical fire.

It seems that a lot of ships built at Fincantieri have suffered these blackout situations probably due to building bigger ships but not increasing the Electrical systems to cope with the extra demand .ie Bigger ship but with Grand class Electrics.

Fingers crossed that they manage to get it sorted out for you guys who are on the next cruise ... :)

I find it very hard to believe that is true. Fincantieri would be stupid not to provide adequate systems for the ship, and they have a reputation to keep, so building a lower quality product is pointless. The thing is, incidents happen, whether it is a new ship or an older ship.

Also, what other new Fincantieri ships have suffered blackouts recently??

I hope it's still under warranty.

And, complaining about this will probably cut into complaining

about balcony size and no middle stairs.

But, I'm sure soon enough, order will be restored.

Almost booked the upcoming Maiden Voyage cruise but hesitated because of the many negative reviews. Then this hits the news on TV this morning and I'm leaning to not making that booking. Just glad I'm not booked on the transatlantic crossing!

Sun Princess in Singapore

Crown Princess Trans atlantic

Dawn Princess repeatly World Cruise 2012

I thought the Sun Princess cruise was cancelled due to a shipyard overhaul taking longer than normal, or something else that had nothing to do with the Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy?

I hadn't read the threads about the others. What was it about the those two cruises that happened, relating specifically to the Fincantieri shipyard that assembled the ships but did not make the parts that broke down?

Just curious? :confused:

and unlike a Caribbean cruise this trip is once in a lifetime for some people.

Maybe not to people on this board, but there are many in which a "Caribbean cruise is a trip of a lifetime". Not everyone can travel as much as people on this board.

Safe travels home to all of those involved.

This can only be good new for those of us who have bookings next summer on the Royal Princess. The negative reviews, combined with high airfare has driven down demand for our July 6 cruise. We have already had one substantial price reduction. Maybe this will drive another. This will be our third European cruise with Princess and we've enjoyed them all and expect nothing different from this one, except a much cheaper price. :cool:

I am sypathetic to those who missed the last four ports on the current cruise. We did the Grand Med itinerary on the Ruby Princess and it was an amazing vacation.

From cruiselawnews.com

Princess Facebook fan posted on Princess' page today that "the ship has had many other problems in the past eight days, plumbing, electrical, air-conditioning, and last night we were delayed leaving Mykonos for over four hours because they couldn't get the anchor up."

The incident has the potential to be another major embarrassment for the cruise industry, following a series of engine failures and engine room fies. The Royal Princess is Princess's newest cruise ship which was debuted with great fanfare in June 2013. It is owned by Carnival which is struggling with its image following the Splendor and Triumph engine room fires / failures where the Carnival cruise ships had to be towed back to the U.S.

Here's more detail from travelweekly.co.uk in London.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/09/23/45358/royal+princess+cruise+cancelled+after+power+failure.html

Passengers in the current voyage will receive a full refund along with a 25% future cruise credit.

"Princess is making homeward air arrangements for passengers, and we anticipate that passengers will spend Tuesday night onboard and depart the ship on Wednesday."

The company added: "We have dispatched a care team to Naples to ensure that all our passengers are provided with any assistance they may require.

"The impact of the repairs on the next Royal Princess cruise, scheduled to depart from Barcelona on September 27, is not yet known and we will keep passengers fully advised as details become known.

you need one of these!

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Maybe not to people on this board, but there are many in which a "Caribbean cruise is a trip of a lifetime". Not everyone can travel as much as people on this board.

Safe travels home to all of those involved.

My mom and dad had exactly one cruise under their belts when she passed away. That cruise, a 3-night to the Bahamas on Carnival Ecstasy to celebrate their anniversary, was the 'trip of a lifetime'. I had secretly upgraded them from a standard ocean view to the largest available suite on the ship. She talked about it for years, as if it were an Around the World Cruise. They had been as far as Bali, flown there by my brother on Garuda and had a wonderful time, but there was something about that single cruise that just hit the right mark with my mom. Their picture, exiting off of the gangway in Nassau, hangs above my work desk at home.

When she got real sick and I told the family I was cancelling my cruise on Sun Princess to be by her side, she literally threatened me "Don't you dare, I'll never forgive you!!! Tell me about it when you get back...", and she smiled and held my hand. So reluctantly I went, letting them know how to contact me just in case anything happened no matter how small. After I returned I told her all about my trip, and her eyes lit up like a child on Christmas Day! It was amazing and she was so thrilled! And five weeks later she was gone. I wish I could have done more. I wish I had cancelled that cruise but I didn't want to disappoint her. That was in 1997, and I still dream about my mom to this day. Someone told me that was her way of telling me that she's OK now. I miss her so much, and I'm just glad that I had a hand in her 'trip of a lifetime'.

Archived