FOS or Carnival Breeze

novaLady

Carnival Breeze or RC Freedom of the Seas for family reunion?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Carnival Breeze or RC Freedom of the Seas for family reunion?

• Breeze
    • FOS
    • Both are great options

The 8 night Breeze itinerary is "nicer", Freedom's is not bad though. You mentioned in your other thread having to fly to Miami; wouldn't that eat up most of the cost advantage? I just find flying to be such a turn off; even at it's best it's an expensive way to be uncomfortable for half a day. (Well, not true, but I don't fly business class to Hong Kong, so...)

I'd rule out the 6 night Breeze; still same PITA travel arrangements, likely requires same amt of time off of work for anyone that applies to (may as well try to maximize vacation days), and even though I don't know the actual cruise fares, I'd suspect the 6 night is more expensive per day than the 8 night (if that matters, at all).

I voted for Freedom. I think it's going to provide more to appeal to everyone in a multi-generational crowd. And the not flying thing.

The Freedom Promenade isn't where EVERYTHING on the ship is it. Is it a bit shopping mall like? A little. It's more like a movie set version of an ideal city block. A little surreal. But it's just a few shoppes, quick service food places, and a few bars. Many of the other lounges, bars, entertainment, kids areas, restaurants, social gatherings, etc are in other places of the ship. The Royal Promenade is just one particular area, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about feeling like you're on a mall at sea.

Google "cruise deck plans" (i don't think we can share links here for whatever reason). The free version of that site will show you the deck plans for both ships and thumbnails of user photos.

I may be over thinking it.

You may be :o

I was in charge of organizing a family cruise this past summer for 14 family members with many first timers. You have NO idea how I sweated the small stuff and spent too much time overthinking everything. At the end of the cruise, everybody had an absolutely phenomenal time (and with pre and post cruise stays, we vacationed for 10 days. It didn't feel "too long").

From what I can see, the Freedom and the Breeze are both good choices for a family cruise. I haven't read anything yet that has made me thing that either one will be a bad choice. No matter which one you choose, I am confident that it will be a very enjoyable time.

I'd choose Breeze, largely for its design. It's got the Lanai promenade with great ocean views. Freedom OTS is too inward-facing for my tastes. When I'm walking around, I want to "just know" that I'm on a ship, rather than feel like I'm passing through a suburban shopping mall. (At least this is how photos of RCI's newest ships looked.) I usually sail on "the other place" since they offer lower prices and a livelier atmosphere. But I ever sail on RCI, I'll be sticking with the outward-facing Radiance and Vision class ships.

I voted and responded to your thread on the CCL forum as well. I think it speaks volumes that FOS is ahead on Carnival's forum as well. I noticed that you posted some concerns about her looking like a mall and not having a sports bar.

To the first point, yes the Royal Promenade could be described as mall-ish in the way that there are shops and restaurants on either side. But it's also an amazing space that serves as a hub of activity for the ship. Ocean views are not at all hard to find. For instance, the Viking Crown Lounge on RCI ships offer the best views available on a cruise ship.

As far as sports go, the "On Air" lounge and the "Schooner Bar" on FOS frequently has sports on, as well as other locations around the ship.

I havent sailed Carnival Breeze. But I was just on FOS a couple of weeks ago. Loved it!! Excellent crew. Everyone very friendly. Food was very good. But thats always subjective. Lots of stuff to do. I would highly recommend FOS. With all that said. Im debating between the 2 right now. But Im really leaning towards the Freedom again. I really enjoyed my time on her. You just cant beat those Cantilevered Hot Tubs. ;) But it was really the crew on FOS that won me over. I was pleasantly surprised how nice everyone was. Not one rude member in the bunch. Everyone had a smile. Ok Im pretty sure I just made my mind up. LOL!!

From pictures alone, I don't like the closed in look of FOS. I believe someone referred to it as a shopping mall. I would hate this. Also we are going during the NFL season and I know my family will want to watch the games. Apparently, there are no sports bars on FOS...

You are correct. There is no sports bar on FOS. However, the games are shown in a couple different venues. The English pub on the Royal Promenade and the On Air Club down on deck 2 are 2 of those locations.

Ref the mall comment. That is also correct. But look at it this way. The Royal Promenade is where all the shops are and a couple bars. It's basically one big centralized location. But don't let that detract you from the views FOS does offer. The Viking Crown Lounge offers views not available on the Breeze.

I noticed you are also curious about live entertainment on the pool deck. FOS has a live calypso band. Carnival uses a DJ.

However, the 8 nights on Breeze does make that ship a little more attractive. Good luck with your choice.

I'd choose Breeze, largely for its design. It's got the Lanai promenade with great ocean views. Freedom OTS is too inward-facing for my tastes. When I'm walking around, I want to "just know" that I'm on a ship, rather than feel like I'm passing through a suburban shopping mall. (At least this is how photos of RCI's newest ships looked.) I usually sail on "the other place" since they offer lower prices and a livelier atmosphere. But I ever sail on RCI, I'll be sticking with the outward-facing Radiance and Vision class ships.

This is exactly what I'm thinking at this point...

You are correct. There is no sports bar on FOS. However, the games are shown in a couple different venues. The English pub on the Royal Promenade and the On Air Club down on deck 2 are 2 of those locations.

Ref the mall comment. That is also correct. But look at it this way. The Royal Promenade is where all the shops are and a couple bars. It's basically one big centralized location. But don't let that detract you from the views FOS does offer. The Viking Crown Lounge offers views not available on the Breeze.

I noticed you are also curious about live entertainment on the pool deck. FOS has a live calypso band. Carnival uses a DJ.

However, the 8 nights on Breeze does make that ship a little more attractive. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks, I def prefer live band over DJ. This is a tough choice to make.

The 8 night Breeze itinerary is "nicer", Freedom's is not bad though. You mentioned in your other thread having to fly to Miami; wouldn't that eat up most of the cost advantage? I just find flying to be such a turn off; even at it's best it's an expensive way to be uncomfortable for half a day. (Well, not true, but I don't fly business class to Hong Kong, so...)

I'd rule out the 6 night Breeze; still same PITA travel arrangements, likely requires same amt of time off of work for anyone that applies to (may as well try to maximize vacation days), and even though I don't know the actual cruise fares, I'd suspect the 6 night is more expensive per day than the 8 night (if that matters, at all).

I voted for Freedom. I think it's going to provide more to appeal to everyone in a multi-generational crowd. And the not flying thing.

The Freedom Promenade isn't where EVERYTHING on the ship is it. Is it a bit shopping mall like? A little. It's more like a movie set version of an ideal city block. A little surreal. But it's just a few shoppes, quick service food places, and a few bars. Many of the other lounges, bars, entertainment, kids areas, restaurants, social gatherings, etc are in other places of the ship. The Royal Promenade is just one particular area, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about feeling like you're on a mall at sea.

Google "cruise deck plans" (i don't think we can share links here for whatever reason). The free version of that site will show you the deck plans for both ships and thumbnails of user photos.

I'm going to price it all out today. But last I checked airfare from DC to Fort Lauderdale is around $170 and most likely there will be some deals between now and next August. So airfare is not too bad. However, it will be a pain to coordinate the flying for 6 adults and 5 kids.

Im too am surprised that the majority on Carnival board have said Freedom but I will have to say this is a FIRST :eek:

"when I step onto a carnival ship, I always get the "wow" factor, I didn't get that when I stepped on FOS"

Maybe Im a little biased but I have seen tons of pics of most ALL Carnival ships and there just isnt any "WOW" factor whatsoever. On Freedom, I literally rolled around in my wheelchair for a few hours with my jaw dropped.

With all that said, I would like to sail on the Breeze some day. It seems a little tamed down as far decor goes when compared to other Carnival ships and looks like it would be a fun time.

Freedom OTS is too inward-facing for my tastes. When I'm walking around, I want to "just know" that I'm on a ship, rather than feel like I'm passing through a suburban shopping mall. (At least this is how photos of RCI's newest ships looked.)

Have you been on Freedom? :confused: Having been on this ship class and Voyager Class numerous times, I don't agree with this at all. Yes, the RP is inward facing, as shopping areas are on almost all ships. But that doesn't mean you still can't know you're "on a ship." That comment doesn't make sense to me. The deck 4 outdoor promenade goes all the way around, including the bow helipad, and the VCL offers views not available on most ships of other lines.

We did the Carnival Magic Sept 1-8 - the sister ship to the Breeze and absolutely had the BEST time. I thought the activities were better, the food better (and HOT when served) very nice staff and ship was beautiful. Absolutely loved the ropes course and the water park. They advertise a "fun" ship and it was. I'm doing a back-to-back on The Allure next month, but for our winter-get-away-from-the-cold cruise I'm thinking of booking the Magic again.

By the way....over 240 credits on RCL and I always bad-mouthed Carnival :o. That is until I sailed on Carnival. :eek:

I was the same as you-sailed the Magic and really had a great time, so much so that we booked the Dream for the next trip. We really didn't like the Dream at all!!!! (also sister ship of the Breeze) The night life on the Magic was good, especially with the live singers in the Red Frog Pub. NIght life on the Dream was non existent, except for the piano singer...but it was the same "show" every night, same jokes, etc. I think that them moving the Red Frog Pub up to the pool deck was a mistake, having that bar down by the outdoor promenade was great on the Magic! So personally, I wouldn't sail that class again unless it was the Magic-I also wonder if we had a better crowd on that sailing since it was out of Texas??? We met a lot of great people that trip.

To the OP-Freedom hands down!!! One of our favorite ships to date-I don't the size would be overwhelming to newbies. MUCH less crowded then the Dream class (Breeze) and when we were on it (September 2011) there were great deck parties and also don't forget the parades in the Promenade. Better live music options in the evening. We don't go to shows that much or have kids, so can't comment on that-although my neices and nephews had a blast on both RC and Carnival with the kids areas, both look like tons of fun

Have you been on Freedom? :confused: Having been on this ship class and Voyager Class numerous times, I don't agree with this at all. Yes, the RP is inward facing, as shopping areas are on almost all ships. But that doesn't mean you still can't know you're "on a ship." That comment doesn't make sense to me. The deck 4 outdoor promenade goes all the way around, including the bow helipad, and the VCL offers views not available on most ships of other lines.

I also never understood this logic on these classes. I would MAYBE see it with the Oasis class....but even that seems silly to me and really no less ocean views then any other ship (maybe Radiance class...haven't been yet) I also think this may be because we have only had balconies, so we can see the ocean from our cabin whenever we'd like.

I do love the helipad on the Voyager and Freedom classes-on the Freedom we went out there on our last see day and saw at least 50 dolphins jumping out there-great experience!!

I also never understood this logic on these classes. I would MAYBE see it with the Oasis class....but even that seems silly to me and really no less ocean views then any other ship (maybe Radiance class...haven't been yet) I also think this may be because we have only had balconies, so we can see the ocean from our cabin whenever we'd like.

I do love the helipad on the Voyager and Freedom classes-on the Freedom we went out there on our last see day and saw at least 50 dolphins jumping out there-great experience!!

Definitely agree, it always amazes me when someone who has not sailed on a ship with a promenade says they would hate it. From an initial reaction I can see where that would happen, but we have found we absolutely love it. We don't spend a lot of time there during the day, we are out and about on the decks and in the many places we can see the ocean. At night when it is dark out and you can't see much we enjoy sitting outside the pub and people watching.

To the OP, I do think you are over thinking this. If you are comfortable with Carnival go with it, it probably has the "better" itinerary, at least the 8 day. As far ship though you can't beat what Freedom can offer and it has all that you are looking for. Make a decision and don't look back, but most of all enjoy whatever you choose.

[quote name='akcruz']Definitely agree, it always amazes me when someone who has not sailed on a ship with a promenade says they would hate it. .[/quote]

I never said I would "hate" the RP but I certainly thought I wouldnt be a fan at all. Amazingly enough, when I sailed on Freedom it became one of my most favorite places on the ship.

Now, Im not sure I could sail on a ship that doesnt have the "shopping mall" :rolleyes::p:D

I mean I would but I would be missing the RP.

[quote name='novaLady']
Pros of Breeze:
Many of us are past passengers and can get better rates
Cheaper
Camp Carnival
Food
Waterpark
Ropes Course

Potential Cons of Breeze:
Crowd
'Un'family friendly shows
Have to fly to Miami

Pros of FOS:
Can Drive to Port Caneveral
Great Ports
Great Reviews

Potential Cons of FOS:
Too big of a ship for first time cruisers
Crowds looks more ... mellow. Videos/Reviews don't mention much of a deck party.
Some reviews say food is not that great.
More Expensive
[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]While the FOS doesn't have a ropes course or waterslides, it does have a Flow Rider, Rock Climbing Wall, and the H2O Zone. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]I was in a similar debate a few months ago tryng to decide between ships and itineraries and when put to my kids to choose (ages 10 and 8) FOS won hands down based on this.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]While I have not sailed on the Breeze, I have sailed both Carnival and Royal. I do prefer the service and atmosphere of Royal over Carnival. I LOVED the promenade on the FOS especially for the Dreamworks parade (which your kids will really enjoy) as well as the parties (Rock Britania at the time I sailed).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]I hope you have a great cruise on which ever one you decide![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Aquahound']You are correct. There is no sports bar on FOS. However, the games are shown in a couple different venues. The English pub on the Royal Promenade and the On Air Club down on deck 2 are 2 of those locations.

However, the 8 nights on Breeze does make that ship a little more attractive. Good luck with your choice.[/QUOTE]

False. On the Carnival Breeze, There is live music, solo guitarists and djs situated in 4 or 5 places around the ship

[quote name='qwerty119']False. On the Carnival Breeze, There is live music, solo guitarists and djs situated in 4 or 5 places around the ship[/QUOTE]

Read again. I said on the pool deck, not around the ship. The op's question was about the pool deck.

[quote name='SilkySal']OK, I'll bite. Have never cruised Carnival but have heard toooooooo many bad things including [B]they have bought used ships[/B] and refurbished them pretty cheaply, which may have something to do with their recent problems. Cruised NCL once and Princess way back when. Started cruising with RCCL many years ago and am now loyal to Royal!;) It's true that you get what you pay for, especially these days!:rolleyes: To me, a wonderful, memorable cruise is priceless! RCCL's prices are reasonable and affordable, and their staff have always insured us a great vacation! Thanks RCCL!:cool:[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure this is not true.

[quote name='qwerty119']And the answer is yes, there is both DJ's and Guitarists with even more live music in the future[/quote]

On my last 3 Carnival cruises, Breeze, Dream and Liberty, there was no guitarist on the Lido. It was 100% DJ and big screen television.

[quote name='SilkySal']OK, I'll bite. Have never cruised Carnival but have heard toooooooo many bad things including they have bought used ships and refurbished them pretty cheaply, which may have something to do with their recent problems. [/quote]

Where in the World did you hear this? Are you thinking about the Destiny, refurbished and name changed to Sunshine? If so, that was always Carnival. There were also a couple cases of brand new ships being built for one of the lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella ending up with another line. But those were new ships. You see a lot of the same ship design around the Carnival Corp lines. Otherwise, I have no idea what you could be talking about.

[quote name='time4u2go']Pretty sure this is not true.[/QUOTE]
An easy google check and up pops the USA today, which seems to disagree with you.
From the link:
[URL="http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/05/06/carnival-sunshine-cruise-ship/2138819/"]http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/05/06/carnival-sunshine-cruise-ship/2138819/[/URL]

[QUOTE] The overhaul of the Carnival Sunshine, formerly known as the Carnival Destiny, was one of the biggest ever for an older cruise ship and included the addition of a partial deck and the expansion of two other decks. The makeover brought the ship 182 new cabins as well as new eateries, lounges and deck-top amusements. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']On my last 3 Carnival cruises, Breeze, Dream and Liberty, there was no guitarist on the Lido. It was 100% DJ and big screen television.

Where in the World did you hear this? Are you thinking about the Destiny, refurbished and name changed to Sunshine? If so, that was always Carnival. There were also a couple cases of brand new ships being built for one of the lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella ending up with another line. But those were new ships. You see a lot of the same ship design around the Carnival Corp lines. Otherwise, I have no idea what you could be talking about.[/QUOTE]

Just had to to say that I'm glad to see you posting again. Always the voice of reason.:)

Archived