More about cats than ships!

comfortcove

I had to put our 20 year old cat down today. I respect that kitty so much. It was a horrible thing to have to do. Now, we will only have one young dog here, so it will be easier to go away. Friends love to take care of a pretty dog, nobody loved our old kitty for several years, reminds me of the song Memories. He was in renal and liver failure, vet said he was amazing to live so long! Rambling on here, I guess this will make it easier to go on Noordam in December. He was a survivor, and so loyal. RIP Peaches. I hope someone can tell me when this feels better?

I'm sorry you had to put your beloved pet down, but you know you did the right thing. We don't want to see our pets suffer, and we know they'll be waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge when it's our time.

I hope you enjoy your cruises in the future - it's nice to know your dog will be there to welcome you home.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I had to put our 20 year old cat down ... I hope someone can tell me when this feels better?

It takes a while.... especially with a fur being you have had for so long. Keep reminding yourself that putting him out of his pain was the last loving thing you could do for him. That was a wonderful age and he was a lucky kitty with a very good and long life.

Susan (who has had many animals through the years and misses them all)

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your Peaches. I can't imagine how I would feel if something were to happen to my Maisy. They really are like our children. It's hard grieving for them because some don't understand how it feels to love something that is an animal, but they are always there for u in good and bad times and we want to be there for them. With all things it will take time. Again sorry for your loss.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh, I do know how you feel. We had to put our 17-year-old kitty down 2 1/2 years ago and I still miss her so much. We raised her with a bottle, she really was one of the family. We were very fortunate that a dear neighbor always watched after her when we went on vacation.

Everyone is different, but for me it was the joy of our first grandchild being born 4 months ago that helped get over some of that pain --

It is easier to get away, and I'm glad you have someone to look after your young dog. Hang in there, and know you did the right thing. :)

Hi Comfort Cove... I know how you are feeling with the loss of your Peaches as we will eventually be facing that awful decision with our 18 year old Himalayan buddy called Joe. I hope that it will be a long time coming, but when that time comes, we will help him to go peacefully and with much love, as I'm sure you did with Peaches. They are truly part of the family and it is terribly hard in the heart to have them leave, but harder still to see them struggle with their ancient ages....

OP - Your post brought tears to my eyes as I never like to hear news of this kind.

I still can't think of all the past angel fur babies that I have lost in my lifetime. There isn't one of them that I can speak of without getting a bit teary-eyed.

I never seem to have the right words to say to those who have lost a fur baby, only to say that you must tell yourself that you gave that dear baby the best life it could have ever had. By being its "person", it would have had NO better life than with you.

Just know that and rejoice in the memories (yes, that song rings around in my head too) and trust that they (the fur baby) also knew it. Animals are very instinctive and they know when we are happy/sad. Your fur baby would not have wanted you to be sad.

It gets better. Just takes some time. You might want to google "The Rainbow Bridge". Lots of stories on there.....people just like you with the same experience. Hugs!

It will hurt for a long time. But it is good that it will. Means you loved your Peaches and love is worth that pain though I know this is little comfort to you now.

As an aside, yes you did do right. I have had 2 die in my arms and 1 put to sleep. Natural death is very hard on the poor little kitty, so much more painful many times. Much better for them to quietly and painlessly drift away. 20 years is a fine long life for a kitty. He was much loved and loved much. You gave your faithful furry friend a good life. I hope that brings you some comfort.

So sorry you lost your kitty...but what a long life he had:) We lost our tabby cat Gracie a few years ago. I delayed taking her in to the vet...I knew what was coming....but now I know we did the right thing...it was time...your sad feelings will fade with time and you will have wonderful memories of him.

I'm so sorry for you! We had to put one of our grandcats, who lived with us, down in June at 17. He was such a lover. You still have your sweet dog but the best way to feel better about everything is go to your shelte and adopt another cat. You aren't replacing your friend but giving a happy life to another.

So sorry for your loss. Our twelve-year-old orange tabby is Peaches too, so I'm with you the whole way.

We, too, debate the problems of boarding while traveling. My husband refuses to board the dog for more than two weeks at time. (I think the dog has done a little coaching on that.)

Our pet rabbit passes away very unexpectrdly last week... The hardest part was telling our 3 kids. They were devastated.

We buriedbh in the backyard where he lived and covered his lttle grave in orchids ( which grow in out yard) and purple flowers.

I told my kids to imagine he is now running in a field , munching on his greens . Losing a pet is so sad.ydaha6es.jpg

All of us who have lost a much loved pet feel for you.

It was horrible for us when our 19 year old Siamese passed on.

After three years we still miss her but the pain isn't a sharp.

One thing we know for sure is we don't want another ... can't go through that kind of pain again.

With Sincere Sympathy,

LuLu

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be I grow frail and weak

And pain prevents my peaceful sleep.

Then you must do what must be done

When this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand.

Selfishness might stay your hand.

But on this day, more than the rest.

Your love and friendship take the test.

We've had so many happy years

That what's to come hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer.

So when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend.

Only stay with me until the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time, you too will see

It is a kindness that you do for me.

Although my tail its last has waved.

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve it should be you

Who must decide this thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years...

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Anonymous

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be I grow frail and weak

And pain prevents my peaceful sleep.

Then you must do what must be done

When this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand.

Selfishness might stay your hand.

But on this day, more than the rest.

Your love and friendship take the test.

We've had so many happy years

That what's to come hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer.

So when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend.

Only stay with me until the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time, you too will see

It is a kindness that you do for me.

Although my tail its last has waved.

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve it should be you

Who must decide this thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years...

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Anonymous

Thank you for that....I can look back at pictures now and see that my Gracie was in pain and not herself but it is such a hard decision to make. Our Vet and I cried together as she slipped away but she had a good life and gave so much to us.

I had to put our 20 year old cat down today. I respect that kitty so much. It was a horrible thing to have to do. Now, we will only have one young dog here, so it will be easier to go away. Friends love to take care of a pretty dog, nobody loved our old kitty for several years, reminds me of the song Memories. He was in renal and liver failure, vet said he was amazing to live so long! Rambling on here, I guess this will make it easier to go on Noordam in December. He was a survivor, and so loyal. RIP Peaches. I hope someone can tell me when this feels better?

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. We are long time animal lovers and pet owners and have had to go through the same thing after 17 years with a beloved dog. It is the hardest thing to do, but at the end of the day it is the kindest act of love for your pet. It takes a while, but given time you will remember Peaches with a smile thinking about his funny habits and things he would do. Been there - done that, and certainly understand the emotions you're feeling. Hope this helps a bit.

Oh, Comfortcove, I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty. I am approaching the same decision for my cat, and am filled with anguish at the thought. Your pain goes even beyond that right now.

But you know that you did a kindness, taking Peaches' pain for your own. There's a special place in Heaven for people who find that kind of strength. Your pain will lessen in time.

Take care.

My deepest sympathy to you. We lost a kitty in an accident years ago. Finally Soni came along. She was a rescue cat, almost mean, actually a real scardy cat. Spent her early life mostly under a bed. Early on , I looked at her and asked "why aren't you Zenith?"

Now at 12 yrs old, this is the sweetheart who seldom leaves my side: my morning alarm clock, my coffee buddy, and cancer pillow when I needed to hold on. I know I will share your decision someday. For now please know I hold your pain in my heart.

Blessings,

Gail

BTW when will you be on the Noordam? We are booked for Dec 6th.

I am sorry that little Peaches had to cross the Rainbow Bridge, but you will see her again and she is thankful for your last act of love and compassion.

Over the years, I had to part with many of my pets and the memory of the sad event never truly goes away. You will feel better day by day. Best Wishes to you!

Comfortcove, I send condolences to you and a big HUG know from what you wrote that Peaches was loved a lot. OVer the years I have lost many fur babies and it truly never gets easier. What is funny some stand out in my mind and heart more than others and a tear come to my eyes for them. But I truly do know what you are going through right now.

Ruth, I am right there with you with my 17 year old cat Joey who has good days (far and few between) and very bad days :( This started in July when I thought we would lose him then. He is still hanging around but does not eat much but purrs a lot when I hold him and talk to him and basically does not leave my side. While as a kitten he was fixed and declawed other than that he has never left the house in over 17 years and no I have never had the need for taking him to the Vet. I think going for a car ride would be devastating to him and my prayer is that when he goes he goes peacefully in his sleep. But his companion who is with him all the time besides me is out 15 yr old poodle who still thinks he is a puppy. I have a cruise coming up in less than 4 weeks and my fear is he will not be around for our arrival home. Fortunately our Son lives with us and also loves out Joey and will take good care of him.

To Comfortcove I know the pain is terrible and tears just come quickly but know that Peaches is no longer in any kind of pain and that you both loved each other and that 17 is a good long life for a kitty. There will always be a place in your heart for Peaches {{hugs}}

I am so sorry for the loss of Peaches :( The pain does eventually subside. Eventually.

I'm so sorry, too, that you feel "nobody loved our old kitty for several years" -- you loved him, and that is the most important part. Ill, elderly kitties have a special place in MY heart, and they possess character, personality quirks, and TRUST in their human caregiver(s) that younger healthier cats don't have or don't need.

I hope you soon feel some easing of your pain.

Archived