Panama Canal Cabin Selection?

MR NW GUY

We leave on 10/18 in an aft corner...and this thread has made me even more excited for the cruise. Even though this isn't my thread, thanks everyone for assuring me that we made a good stateroom choice!!

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you mean down on the bow proper, I disagree. :) I like to be up on one of the forward decks above the bow so I don't have a lot of people in most of my view angles.

Not if you are at the rail....... :)

One of our partial transit cruises, we wanted to get the view from the bow and were able to stand at the rail for long enough to suit our viewing wishes. It was hot and sunny and seems lots of people chose to find interior viewing areas frequently to get out of the hot sun.

We also have enjoyed sitting on our verandah for part of the transit.

It's so many hours, there is more than enough time to move all around the ship.

After watching the Canal locks open and shut, we enjoyed going to the Promenade deck and checking out how close the walls are to the ship. Looks easy to have an "Oops! moment".

Don't forget the Panama buns going through the Gatun Locks we enjoyed them on the bow but they may show up in other places also. Tradition.

I have reserved a corner aft wrap around on the Zuiderdam, but I am wondering if something larger and mid ship would be better for a Panama Canal experience? I don't think I would use the Crows Nest when traveling through the Canal as I like to be outside.

So .... Port or Starboard? Midship or Stern? Any thoughts, opinions or advise? Cheers!

We did the 11-day partial transit on the Z in 2010. It is actually the one cruise I would love to repeat. We were in a Neptune Suite portside, very near the Neptune Lounge. If I had a corner aft reserved I would probably keep it. I agree with others, you do want to be "up front" at some point to see the locks open. I don't believe port or starboard makes any difference for the transit.

We went on a wonderful HAL excursion once we reached the lake. We boarded a ferry boat and went through the remaining locks - to the Pacific waters. Those views were amazing. You are actually "in" the locks. We were then bused back to meet the ship. Having said that, "if" we decide to redo this trip I would stay on the ship this time and enjoy exiting the locks. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE - THIS IS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!

Just want to add the Captain must give up control of the ship when transitting the canal. I am sure they do not care for that. :)

Oh, you absolutely correct... that is one of those times that doesn't bring comfort to a master. They really don't like to be second in command!

On our way back out of the canal, the entire port side of the Statendam on one of those cruises was scraped while we were in the locks.

Those are called Panama Canal Service Stripes;).

We did the 11-day partial transit on the Z in 2010. It is actually the one cruise I would love to repeat. We were in a Neptune Suite portside, very near the Neptune Lounge. If I had a corner aft reserved I would probably keep it. I agree with others, you do want to be "up front" at some point to see the locks open. I don't believe port or starboard makes any difference for the transit.

We went on a wonderful HAL excursion once we reached the lake. We boarded a ferry boat and went through the remaining locks - to the Pacific waters. Those views were amazing. You are actually "in" the locks. We were then bused back to meet the ship. Having said that, "if" we decide to redo this trip I would stay on the ship this time and enjoy exiting the locks. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE - THIS IS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!

I do think it makes a difference if you are port or starboard depending upon which lane the ship is assigned. Unfortunately, when we book our cruises, we do not know which lane we will be using. I wouldn't opt first choice to be starboard if the ship was assigned the far right lane going to Gatun Lake but it is 'luck of the draw'.

I do think it makes a difference if you are port or starboard depending upon which lane the ship is assigned. Unfortunately, when we book our cruises, we do not know which lane we will be using. I wouldn't opt first choice to be starboard if the ship was assigned the far right lane going to Gatun Lake but it is 'luck of the draw'.

You are correct Sail ... I was trying to shorten my comments. I should have pointed out that you don't know until you get there which "LANE" you will be assigned. Therefore, I just said "I don't believe port or starboard makes any difference for the transit."

Mary, don't worry about which cabin you have. Since you will only be transiting Gatun Locks on the Zuiderdam the best vantage points will be in the public areas. That way you pick your side or sides!!

I think any cabin, any deck, any vessel is great for the Panama Canal. It is my favorite cruise (2 full and 1 partial transit). I strongly urge anyone doing a Panama Canal cruise to do a little reading before taking the trip. I, personally, couldn't get through the David McCullough book, "The Path Between the Seas," but the Anne Vipond book, "Panama Canal by Cruise Ship" really enhanced the journey for me.

I think any cabin, any deck, any vessel is great for the Panama Canal. It is my favorite cruise (2 full and 1 partial transit). I strongly urge anyone doing a Panama Canal cruise to do a little reading before taking the trip. I, personally, couldn't get through the David McCullough book, "The Path Between the Seas," but the Anne Vipond book, "Panama Canal by Cruise Ship" really enhanced the journey for me.

I can recommend that book also. I took it with me when we did the full transit last year, and it will go with me again next time. It's a great book for this cruise.:)

I agree that the cabin does not matter too much on a Panama Canal transit except for between the locks when I like to sit onthe veranda and watch the scenery go by. When in the locks, I like te view from the aft - very few people. We usually end up walking all over the ship.

We have done the Panama Canal twice and chose the same suite twice, it was the Zuiderdam both times.....I wish we could afford to get that location every time we cruise because in our opinion, its the best !! The suite is very sizeable and the outer deck is a huge wrap around, we once had the opposite corner on the sixth deck and were VERY disappointed in that one, outer deck was much smaller and the closet space was nearly nonexistant, compared to 5191........you would love the one you have chosen, without a doubt.....:)

I'm starting this right now. Hope I can stick it out as it is a bit slow for me.

I read that one a long time before my cruise, and I found it heavy-going too. I enjoyed the Anne Vipond book because it encompassed the ports of call, as well, and made for easier reading.;)

I'm starting this right now. Hope I can stick it out as it is a bit slow for me.

You are a better person than I if you manage to get through it. I abandoned it after about 100 pages and picked up the Anne Vipond book. Her book was a quick read.

You are a better person than I if you manage to get through it. I abandoned it after about 100 pages and picked up the Anne Vipond book. Her book was a quick read.

That's a shame. "Path Between The Seas" gets better the farther you get. But, of course, history can be boring sometimes.:)

It WAS fun to see all the things that were discussed and one could imagine what that place was like over 100 years ago.:eek:

Cheers!

Don't forget to have someone at home get a screen capture of you on one of the web cams as you go through the locks!

IMG_0012_2.jpg

Our son got this one as we went through Miraflores Lock last spring on the Westerdam!

Nice to add to the photo collection!

Our first HAL cruise was the Panama Canal, Acapulco to Port Everglades on the Maasdam, back when she was practically new! We had a balcony cabin on the Navigation deck aft, and we got used to the lovely views from several stories up. Quite by accident I found myself on the Promenade Deck while in a lock and was stunned at the closeness and the action; what a different point of view.... all up close and personal, and I felt that I could make an easy jump and be in Panama!

DH loved the bow for the canal, but OMG the heat!

No matter what cabin you decide on, be sure to wander the ship and take in all the vantage points.

Archived