Panama Canal Cabin Selection?

MR NW GUY

I have reserved a corner aft wrap around on the Zuiderdam, but I am wondering if something larger and mid ship would be better for a Panama Canal experience? I don't think I would use the Crows Nest when traveling through the Canal as I like to be outside.

So....

Port or Starboard?

Midship or Stern?

Any thoughts, opinions or advise?

Cheers!

I think the wrap-around balcony is a great choice. It gives you good views to the side and aft, which you will appreciate as you go through the locks. Do plan to spend some time on a forward viewing deck so that you can also watch the opening of a lock.

This is such an amazing experience, to watch the functioning of these structures which were built over 100 years ago, without modern engineering techniques and equipment and yet still function perfectly. Excellent and timely maintenance have their role, of course, but the age and the very different conditions under which the canal was dug and the locks built makes them awe-inspiring.

Read up on the Canal before you go. It will enhance the actual experience.

I have reserved a corner aft wrap around on the Zuiderdam, but I am wondering if something larger and mid ship would be better for a Panama Canal experience? I don't think I would use the Crows Nest when traveling through the Canal as I like to be outside.

So....

Port or Starboard?

Midship or Stern?

Cheers!

Absolutely, 100%, keep the corner. We never even went upstairs during the transit...we could see everything.

So....

Port or Starboard?

Midship or Stern?

Cheers!

In my mind and experience you have the best right now. We were forward in a suite and got the recommendation to go aft for the transit. Thought that was a weird suggestion but it turned out to be perfect. We had pretty much a full and unobstructed view. Friends of ours that tried the bow then upper forward decks had issues getting to the railing to see anything.

Just off the Zuiderdam for the second time and we had room 4180 each time. It is the wrap around balcony. Having had this room take it without hesitation. There are I think 8 of these rooms available and they go fast. Just my thoughts. Colakid.

I agree with Cruiser Bruce. Your location is great, but viewing from the bow and seeing the ship enter the locks is a great place to see what's happening.

Except the best view of all, straight forward.

I agree.

Next to being on the bridge, :), the best view is the Bow.

Your aft view will be fine for sure but you may wish to leave for a little while and enjoy the view from the bow.

April 18 -- full Panama Canal cruise -- wonderful!!

We have done quite a few of those repositioning cruises on various ships. have another one coming up on the Amsterdam next spring.

We much prefer the port side for this cruise. JMO -- we can sit out on the verandah -- sometimes we get to see the train. Wave to the people as you pass through the Miraflores Locks and see the people there watching you.

We have had an aft cabin once, and it was my FAVORITE. It sort of didn't matter where we were! Just loved listening to and watching the wake.

BUT...for anyone doing the canal with a "lesser cabin", don't feel left out! We REALLY enjoyed having an ocean view cabin on the lowest deck.......it's a kick watching the walls rise past your window. We went from bow to sides to our room and back around again. The glory is that there are several locks to go through, so you can watch them from all sorts of angles. It's a kick!

Read The Path Between the Seas... by David McCullough to get the full story of what went into the building of the canal.

Couldn't agree more Scrapnana!

A long read but it added so much to our experience once there.

Cheers!

Congratulations MR NW GUY!!

We had 5191 aft-wrap for our Panama Canal visit in 2010 aboard Zuiderdam.

As others have said, the view from the bow is good to start with as you move into the first lock.

After that you can't see well from there because of the other 1000 people trying to see.;)

AS IN THIS PHOTO:

312canal_7981507fc4_o.jpg

After getting into the lock, we retreated to our aft-wrap for the rest of the morning

going through the locks.

From the back you will watch the lock workings and from the side you can see everything

and even converse with those driving the "mules" (the electric train engines).

Room service will bring food and beverages.:)

Cheers!

VIEW FROM THE STERN: (no crowds)

ENGINESTART.jpg

Just off the Zuiderdam for the second time and we had room 4180 each time. It is the wrap around balcony. Having had this room take it without hesitation. There are I think 8 of these rooms available and they go fast. Just my thoughts. Colakid.

Was that a port side suite ? Now are those aft wrap considered signature suites or do they have other name ?

I agree.

Next to being on the bridge, :), the best view is the Bow.

If you mean down on the bow proper, I disagree. :) I like to be up on one of the forward decks above the bow so I don't have a lot of people in most of my view angles.

April 18 -- full Panama Canal cruise -- wonderful!!

We have done quite a few of those repositioning cruises on various ships. have another one coming up on the Amsterdam next spring.

We much prefer the port side for this cruise. JMO -- we can sit out on the verandah -- sometimes we get to see the train. Wave to the people as you pass through the Miraflores Locks and see the people there watching you.

KK,

Is this one on 4/18/14 on the zuiderdam or Veendam ? And which ship you prefer ? The aft wrap seems be only on the Z- dam. Also have you done the one that goes half way and back ? And if yes, how did u like it ? What suite would you recommend on the Veendam for a good view. Thanks much :)

We sailed the Z last Jan in a aft suite . Never left our balcony . Room service , drinks , nap before the rerun through the locks . Magic . We had our tv on with the bow cam . We were not about to walk to the front on the ship to be crowded and get a glimpse . We saw it all from our veranda . Awsome . Book it .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

KK,

Is this one on 4/18/14 on the zuiderdam or Veendam ? And which ship you prefer ? The aft wrap seems be only on the Z- dam. Also have you done the one that goes half way and back ? And if yes, how did u like it ? What suite would you recommend on the Veendam for a good view. Thanks much :)

MR NW GUY is the one who will be on the 4/18/14 Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver.

We have done the repositioning cruises from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle as it is easier for us to fly home from Seattle than Vancouver.

We have done the cruises on the Westerdam and Amsterdam as well as on other cruise lines.

I would not go on the Veendam any more. She has had too many problems with air conditioning not functioning and that is a big factor for us.

There are Zuiderdam cruises that do 10 and 11 days round trip from Ft Lauderdale that do partial Panama Canal cruises. You only go through the Gatun Locks. And that cruise is really just an introduction to the canal. We have done it a couple of times -- it is a nice cruise. It isn't really "halfway" through the canal.

If you do decide on the Veendam -- we like cabins 002, 004 and 006.

MR NW GUY is the one who will be on the 4/18/14 Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver.

We have done the repositioning cruises from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle as it is easier for us to fly home from Seattle than Vancouver.

We have done the cruises on the Westerdam and Amsterdam as well as on other cruise lines.

I would not go on the Veendam any more. She has had too many problems with air conditioning not functioning and that is a big factor for us.

There are Zuiderdam cruises that do 10 and 11 days round trip from Ft Lauderdale that do partial Panama Canal cruises. You only go through the Gatun Locks. And that cruise is really just an introduction to the canal. We have done it a couple of times -- it is a nice cruise. It isn't really "halfway" through the canal.

If you do decide on the Veendam -- we like cabins 002, 004 and 006.

Thanks much. So it is " less than halfway" ?

Archived