Too MUCH SALT FOR ME!

geocruiser

I'm from Colorado. When I was on active duty, I was surprised when my uniforms didn't fit when I was TDY to the east coast. They did fit after a day or two. I think we're just dehydrated living at altitude. However, salt just kills me. Always has.

Lani

Wait a minute -- are you saying that if I move from my very humid EC city to Colorado, I'd drop a dress size?! 'Cause that's the easiest diet tip I've ever heard. Except then I'd have to live in Colorado with all that cold and snow . . . so who would even see that I was down a dress size under the parka? Might as well stay where I am and be warm.

After one of our early cruises we asked our doctor about the cause of ankle swelling. His answer was that it was the direct result of cruising at sea in a saltwater environment, and had little to do with the salt added to the food. This was coming from Colorado, where we maintained a low salt diet.

Sorry I have trouble with this, I live on Georgia Strait in British Columbia which is what the cruise ships pass thru on their way to Alaska, have been around salt water all my life, swim in salt water during the summer and the only time I have problems with swollen ankles is on Princess ships.

THIS issue is the biggest for us when we cruise as my mother is limited to 1500 mg a day (and of course everyone is recommended to use under 2300mb sodium).

If you have ever looked at how much salt there really is in all the food we eat you would be shocked at how much you are consuming in a single day---bread, dressings, sauces, packaged foods etc are ALl high in sodium and the average person does not think about what they are eating--until it is too late and they have damage to their bodies.

I have read on these boards in the past about getting the menu the night before and letting them know which items you would like prepared without salt and I would love to be able to partake in this. On out last 14 day cruise to Hawaii on the Golden Princess I did not find that our waiter was at all receptive of this happening. All he said was "no the chef never cooks with too much salt". Yea right.

Has anyone had success with the night before menu deal and who did you speak to if you were eating in anytime dining? This is a medical issue for my mom and a choice to be supportive for me so I would love to be able to make this happen for our next Hawaiian cruise in April.

Thanks bunches!

Yasmine :)

I am sorry you had this experience. I was also on the Golden to Hawaii and my head waiter, Albuquerque, was more than accommodating. I also skipped a meal and he said that "he missed me". I was in the Canaletto Dining Room.

The problem I had with the salt this past trip was my BP went up. I was still safe, but I could feel that something was higher with it. Checked it and it was higher that normal. I also felt dry mouth all the time. Got home Sat. night and by Sun. morning my BP was my normal number. Most people on a cruise don't know if their BP is higher when eating the salty food.

We just got off of the Sapphire Princess on Saturday and my lips are still swollen from all of the salt. I have been watching what I eat and have cut out all sodium where possible. I saw my doctor this morning and I'd lost a pound on the cruise but came home with elevated blood pressure.

Mark

We just got off of the Sapphire Princess on Saturday and my lips are still swollen from all of the salt. I have been watching what I eat and have cut out all sodium where possible. I saw my doctor this morning and I'd lost a pound on the cruise but came home with elevated blood pressure.

Mark

That is what is scary having on board and/or coming home with elevated blood pressure. Unless you check it on board most times you have no way of knowing. I know when my BP gets elevated. I don't feel well. At home my PB is lower that normal at home.

After one of our early cruises we asked our doctor about the cause of ankle swelling. His answer was that it was the direct result of cruising at sea in a saltwater environment, and had little to do with the salt added to the food. This was coming from Colorado, where we maintained a low salt diet.

Think about it. How can this be logically true. I live on Long Island 4-5 miles from a beach. People who live on Staten Island and Manhattan are even closer to the water in all directions. None of us are sloshing around filled with water. We may get sloshed from time to time but that has nothing to do with water retention. My guess is that coming from Colorado, the change in altitude could have something to do with water retention. I know that after a flight my feet and fingers are swollen for a day. The food on cruise ships are notorious for being over salted. I never use salt and growing up my mother never cooked with salt or put a salt shaker on the table since we have a family history of hypertension. Because of this I am salt sensitive and the food always tastes more salty than what I'm used to at home. My doctor told me to drink plenty of water during the day and in the evening with meals. On my last three cruises I followed this plan and never experienced swollen ankles. Also I don't drink nearly as much coffee on a cruise as I do at home so I'm not becoming dehydrated from the excess caffeine which contributes to high blood pressure and water retention. If you are retaining water you need to drink more water.

Sorry I have trouble with this, I live on Georgia Strait in British Columbia which is what the cruise ships pass thru on their way to Alaska, have been around salt water all my life, swim in salt water during the summer and the only time I have problems with swollen ankles is on Princess ships.

Humidity and the salt water onboard has a lot to do with it. I live the same place as you but send me to Chicago in the summer and buying shoes goes out the window for a week. It's not the salt in the food.

Thanks so much everyone who answered about speaking with the head waiter, using the personalizer, calling Princess etc.

I will try to stick to my guns and use all the tips you have provided. I tend to be strong in my opinions until I have to go face to face with someone then I am meek as a mouse ;)

Yasmine :)

Humidity and the salt water onboard has a lot to do with it. I live the same place as you but send me to Chicago in the summer and buying shoes goes out the window for a week. It's not the salt in the food.

I don't think in Vancouver you are quite as exposed to the water as we are here in Sechelt. We are live just a block off the water and are totally exposed to it....in fact our windows get covered in salt spray and metal patio furniture rusts. However, I'd go with the humidity argument but where does the "salt water on board" come from?

Even at our winter home in AZ where we have to use a water softener which leaves traces of salt I don't get swollen ankles.

Everyone's body has a different tolerance for salt. You can stay in the recommended daily consumption range and be fine or that much salt could cause you to retain fluids and swelling will occur.

I am in the latter category. The problem was magnified for me on a HAL cruise years ago. Princess foods are not as salty, but I still must be careful and ask for a low salt menu in the dining room. Humidity will cause swelling if you are consuming more salt than you are accustomed to. If you were to eat in restaurants, 3 meals a day for a week, you would really notice the change in your body. This is what is happening to you on a cruise.

Diuretics help. I have found that fish twice a week and a glass of wine :D work just as well.

I think there's a little truth in all the theories. I only used to swell on Caribbean cruises. Not just my ankles, my feet would swell almost a shoe size.

My doc told me it was the salty food and air and to lay off the soups and salad dressings, which I did. I also cut out the Margarita's. :( Now I walk laps in the morning, stick to wine and lay off the sauces and the soups and I no longer have a problem. We don't salt at home but I've never found the meals in general too salty for my taste.

I never swell on European cruises and I even sneak in a Margarita here and there. :p

I think there's a little truth in all the theories. I only used to swell on Caribbean cruises. Not just my ankles, my feet would swell almost a shoe size.

My doc told me it was the salty food and air and to lay off the soups and salad dressings, which I did. I also cut out the Margarita's. :( Now I walk laps in the morning, stick to wine and lay off the sauces and the soups and I no longer have a problem. We don't salt at home but I've never found the meals in general too salty for my taste.

I never swell on European cruises and I even sneak in a Margarita here and there. :p

There is truth in both. For me it is the salt. For six months of the year I live about 300 to 400 ft. from the ocean in Fl. I never have any trouble. For salad dressing I just use what I use at home O & V.

I think part of the problem is that for some, the food in not to salty for their taste, but that does not mean that there is little salt in it. I think lots of us have gotten use to the taste of a lot of salt in our food, and when it is not there it does not taste right to them.

Just got off the Star, and also found the food very salty.

We had Anytime Dining, and always went to the Capri dining room. At our first dinner in the dining room, we asked for low sodium and low fat meals. They accommodated as best as they could for the first dinner. During that dinner, one of the three F&B managers (Viktor), came by with the next day's menus so that we could make our selections for the next day. We generally dined around the same time each night, but had different waiters each night. Viktor found us each night, and took our orders for the next evening.

The Horizon Court food was also very salty. Also, the hot water (for tea) in the Horizon Court always came out in different shades of brown, yet the hot water in the Capri dining room was crystal clear!

.... My doctor told me to drink plenty of water during the day and in the evening with meals. On my last three cruises I followed this plan and never experienced swollen ankles. Also I don't drink nearly as much coffee on a cruise as I do at home so I'm not becoming dehydrated from the excess caffeine which contributes to high blood pressure and water retention. If you are retaining water you need to drink more water.
Really good advice from your doctor. We have found out, especially living in Texas, that we need to drink more water than we used to. He has advised us that if we drink coffee, which we do in the morning, we need to compensate by drinking at least as much water in volume as the coffee we drank. When we don't drink enough water we get headaches.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, as this is not a simple fix issue, but one with many solutions and also with different solutions for different people depending on their body chemistry. For instance drinking a lot of water would tend to naturally dilute and/or flush the salt concentration.

People coming from cooler climates may not be used to drinking a lot of water, and in some cases may make poor choices e.g. "I'm hot and dry and need a nice cold beer."

Oh, and the advice from our doctor back in Colorado worked (drink more water) for us.

Really good advice from your doctor. We have found out, especially living in Texas, that we need to drink more water than we used to. He has advised us that if we drink coffee, which we do in the morning, we need to compensate by drinking at least as much water in volume as the coffee we drank. When we don't drink enough water we get headaches.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, as this is not a simple fix issue, but one with many solutions and also with different solutions for different people depending on their body chemistry. For instance drinking a lot of water would tend to naturally dilute and/or flush the salt concentration.

People coming from cooler climates may not be used to drinking a lot of water, and in some cases may make poor choices e.g. "I'm hot and dry and need a nice cold beer."

Oh, and the advice from our doctor back in Colorado worked (drink more water) for us.

I am big on water so I went through 2-1.5 liter bottles of water and around 8-glasses in the dining room. That is about 160 ounces per day. Still the salt was very hard on me. Right after the cruise (2-3 days) I lost 3-pounds which I assume was water retention.

Mark

Just would like to know what my CC friends this about the amount of salt in Princess's food. We just got off of Caribbean Princess and I thought there was way too much salt in most of the food I ate. What do you think? I want to taste the food just not the salt.

Salt in the diet:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002415.htm

We have made mention of the salt matter in our cruise surveys the other day and perhaps other may care to do as well. If they hear from enough of us perhaps they will "lighten up".

I put it in my survey yesterday. There can be a happy ending with the salt. More can all ways be added at the table.

Hi I too am on a low salt medical diet. This is my first time cruising to Hawaii so it will be a while on board. Thanks for all of your ideas on how to deal with it. I have already let Princess know I need low salt diet and I will check in when on board.

Archived