PICTURES of Vision in Drydock.. Sept. 2013

Loyal2RCCL

Loyal, thanks for sharing. The screws and rudder assembly display the older style drive lines that have been replaced with azipods on the newer ships. Also found the grind marks on the side where the ducktail will be attached fascinating. They must have used some sort of automated machinery, or someone had some very tired and sore arms:eek:;)

Regardless, nice to see the 'ol girl' getting a redo - we enjoyed our time on her in Alaska a few years back.

They use pressure washers to take the paint off, either manual ones, or remote control ones which move along the hull.

Wth the lack of any interesting updates from RCI on the building of Quantum and Oasis III, this is very refreshing and interesting to see. Thanks for sharing these great pictures.

Very true.

Thanks for the pictures.

Andrew

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you're all enjoying the photos. I've been fortunate enough to visit a drydock during a major refurb (Freeport Drydock when they changed Nordic Empress into Empress of the Seas). It's fascinating (to me), and a part of the cruise world not many see. My friend has promised to send as many pics as he can throughout the process. I'll continue to post them here.. enjoy!:)

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you're all enjoying the photos. I've been fortunate enough to visit a drydock during a major refurb (Freeport Drydock when they changed Nordic Empress into Empress of the Seas). It's fascinating (to me), and a part of the cruise world not many see. My friend has promised to send as many pics as he can throughout the process. I'll continue to post them here.. enjoy!:)

Well maybe your pictures did have something to do with it (wake RCI up) as there is a new Vision OTS sailing to Bermuda in 2014. There is new thread out there about it. Below is the link to the itinerary.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/13035761_VI_Caribbean_2014_ReDeployment

Credit to PH8 for the new thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1923440

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

Absolutely wonderful photos, thank you. A shame about the ducktail. With the Grandeur fire showing she didn't get one, I could not get an answer from Royal Caribbean or anyone on Vision's last cruise about whether she would or not but they could tell you what else was being done. I'll be back onboard in Lisbon to check the results. I hope she'll still be the Vision I fell in love with in 2008 but it's sad they're adding more passengers while removing public spaces.

Loyal-

Thanks for these absolutely FASCINATING drydock photos. I'm one of those folks who simply boards the ship and never thinks about what goes into creating all of the magic behind the scenes. This gives me a new appreciation for cruising, and also a reason to possibly add Vision to my list of possible cruises for next May.

Maybe I missed it, but exactly where is this Vision drydock taking place?

Thanks Loyal for sharing! Will you be following the Navigtor refurb in January? We have been on Navigator & loved the ship. We are looking forward to the refurb, especially curious about the Flow Rider being added. We just got off Liberty before their T/A & loved the Flow Rider. We are taking the April 20 sailing on Navigator, mainly to enjoy the new areas on the ship. Again, thanks for sharing.

So the cabins are completely new? (I would be interested in a balcony).

Looking at the old deckplans, where would they be adding additional cabins?

:)

There will be 16 new staterooms, added around the Centrum on decks 7 and 8. They are not balcony staterooms, they are called Panoramic Ocean View staterooms - floor to ceiling window that cannot be opened.