Will the Govt shutdown in USA effect us in any way?

Ill let you know in 26 hours when we land in Hawaii :eek: I hope to god airport services aren't effected, I read just before that working visa applications wouldn't be effected, but didn't mention any other immigration services.

Ill let you know in 26 hours when we land in Hawaii :eek: I hope to god airport services aren't effected, I read just before that working visa applications wouldn't be effected, but didn't mention any other immigration services.

Good luck:):)

Might be longer delays at the borders but the visa process is done online and seems to be an automated process.

Australian dollar might go up a bit.

Worst queues I ever experienced coming into the US was leading up to Y2000 bug. Someone made a lot of money out of that pesky little rumour.

Heard this morning that you can't visit a lot of National Parks in the USA, eg Yosemite. Also the Statue of Liberty. :( The Yanks are certainly stuffing up their tourism industry.

I have also heard that America has to make some big payments in October, so wonder how that will affect things? The USA dollar will probably go down!

I wonder how travellers will get on when they arrive in the USA?

I have also heard that America has to make some big payments in October, so wonder how that will affect things?

Not big payments, but they hit the limit of the amount of money they can currently borrow to pay debts. Hence, may default.

Note this has happened previous years, and just requires both sides agreeing to raise the limit. However, as seen with this budget lock, both sides aren't reaching agreement this year.

Our neighbour's have just message that their tours are cancelled to Yosemite today and Alcatraz. ...tomorrow. ... head home at the weekend so there timing was fortunate at the last of their holidayz...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

We are booked on a Alcatraz Tour on the 14th October so we will have to get a refund if the shutdown was still on.

Hope you don't miss Alcatraz and other great attractions near SF such as Muir Woods, we did those last year, had 9 days in SF.

US Parks & Wildlife Service run those places. Good luck with it.

I hope our Aussie Dollar strengthens against USD, I need a lot next year.

Many Grand Canyon tours are not operating, hoover Dam is also closed. I work for a wholesaler and many of the operators have said they will NOT refund under this circumstance! Hope people have travel insurance

Many Grand Canyon tours are not operating, hoover Dam is also closed. I work for a wholesaler and many of the operators have said they will NOT refund under this circumstance! Hope people have travel insurance

It would depend on the excess whether or not it would be worth claiming travel insurance.

If booked in Australia, I don't believe that excuse would wash.

Failure to supply the service is failure to supply the service so a refund would be due.

Friends currently in New York have advised via facebook that the Statue of Liberty is closed ... its part of the nationa parks service.

Hopefully the government will resolve the problem quickly and services will commence again. Feeling really sorry for the government workers who have been told not to come to work because the government can't pay them. Much worse for them than us tourists :-(

Just wondering if tourists and or cruisers from Au/NZ will be hit by the US Govt shutdown.

Getting Visas? Customs and Immigration entry?...etc etc....

Customs & Immigration will be slow for foreigners at the airports, & at the cruiseports.

They reduced staff earlier this year.

A neighbor went on a Caribbean cruise 6 months ago and said that C&I at the port of Fort Lauderdale was a nightmare. Only 2 officers for at least one shipload of passengers. And that was just the American citizens.

I read somewhere online that if an American is a member of the Global Entry program, that the Aussie govt also offers this program and will allow us to use it if arriving by air (not sea).

I would think that if any Aussies are GE, that our govt would reciprocate.

If booked in Australia, I don't believe that excuse would wash.

Failure to supply the service is failure to supply the service so a refund would be due.

I would have to agree. If the purchase was made in Australia then our laws apply.

Bloody terrible though when people book, and then can't do the tour, and then told they can't get a refund!!

American tourism will suffer because of this!!!

Archived