Singles to get Double Points

Personally, if I have to choose one or the other, I'll take the 50% reduction over the extra points.

Read over these conditions and it does not exclude those paying the single supplement of an extra 50% :eek: if they did this would upset a lot of there very loyal customers.

Edited by scotsman

Read over these conditions and it does not exclude those paying the single supplement of an extra 50% :eek: if they did this would upset a lot of there very loyal customers.

Based on what I read it doesn't include those paying an extra 50% either. We will see what happens. Either way I'll be okay with it.

If I read the rules correctly, a single has to be paying double (200%) the per person rate for the cabin to get the extra point per night. It does not appear that someone with over 340 points, and paying only 150%, would be eligible for the extra point as a single.

You didn't read the rules correctly. Paying single type pricing for a double occupancy room sure doesn't mean they must pay double. No where does it say you must be paying twice the price or 200% as it is called. Single occupancy pricing is the price for which it is listed for whoever is booking it. And that can certainly be lower than 150% when they need to get the rooms booked.

Gina

Based on what I read it doesn't include those paying an extra 50% either. We will see what happens. Either way I'll be okay with it.

It includes everyone who is paying single pricing except those in SI and SB categories. It's pretty basic and clear.

Gina

Here is the info in a little more detail as emailed to agents. Eligible cruises are at Royal Caribbean's sole discretion as noted in the last line. Of course we all know the retroactive rate is wrong since people who sailed prior to Oct. 4 got the points.

NEW CROWN AND ANCHOR MEMBER BENEFIT

As an added benefit for guests that sail in a double occupancy stateroom and pay Single Fare pricing, they will now receive an extra cruise point per cruise day*. For Junior Suites and above, guests will receive three cruise points per day. This benefit is retroactive for sailings on Oct. 4, 2013 and after.

*Cruise Points are awarded One (1) Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms. All other rates including Travel Agent rates are excluded from single price type extra point promotion. Cruise Tours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour. Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category. Cruise points are given for eligible cruises per stateroom category paid. Complimentary, promotional and/or reduced rate upgrades will not receive additional Cruise Points if final berth category is in a suite when moved from a lower stateroom category. Cruise Points are awarded to the guest whose name is entered into the reservation at the time of booking and completes the sailing. Eligible cruises exclude all reduced cruise fares (e.g., employee/employee family rates, vendor rates, etc.), affinity groups and other cruises as designated by Royal Caribbean at its sole discretion.

There is a 2 nighter on the Vision out of Miami, Nov 11. $69.00

Total for single inside is around $189 with taxes/fees (not gratuity).

Total for outside is $193.

I am going to be exactly 4 point short of Diamond for my 10 day cruise in March so I am really thinking about doing this; I'll get the points I need to get access to DL for 10 days; surely that has to be worth nearly $19 per day; 2 or 3 cocktails!

Are we sure this is for ANY length sailing? I'd hate to book this and then be told not applicable for a 2 day

Edited by LMaxwell

I am going to be exactly 4 point short of Diamond for my 10 day cruise in March so I am really thinking about doing this; I'll get the points I need to get access to DL for 10 days; surely that has to be worth nearly $19 per day; 2 or 3 cocktails!

Are we sure this is for ANY length sailing? I'd hate to book this and then be told not applicable for a 2 day

The terms as have been reported so far make no distinction on length of sailing.

I booked it solo just because I wanted to see the ship and the crew is so great. We took Vision into dry dock so seeing the changes so soon at a bargain price is worth it. The bonus points will be gladly accepted. :)

There is no reason they wouldn't give the bonus points to a shorter cruise.

I'm sure I'll get harpooned over this, but I'm not sure this is entirely fair (I understand the logic).

When my DW and I travel, I'm paying "double" so to speak, and when we traveled with our children and there were 4 of us in a cabin, we only got a 'point'. So when a family of 4 travels together, the amount they are paying for a 'room' versus what a single person is paying for a 'room' doesn't seem fair that the single person gets twice what the person that paid (probably) double for the same room (I understand the number of people thing).

Not that the points mean the world to me, so it's not going to effect anything I do or don't do, but I suppose a couple could book two ajoining rooms, pay the 50% difference and get double the points for the same trip they would have gotten 1 point for if in the same room. Kind of like buying points I guess, if someone was really into that sort of thing.

I booked it solo just because I wanted to see the ship and the crew is so great. We took Vision into dry dock so seeing the changes so soon at a bargain price is worth it. The bonus points will be gladly accepted. :)

There is no reason they wouldn't give the bonus points to a shorter cruise.

I just put a 24 hour hold on an outside room; this will give me a chance to get my ducks in a row. I will ONLY go if I get the double points; I am 4 points shy of Diamond going on a 10 day cruise; this would make me Diamond for my 10 day. That's the only way I can justify the expense and time. I too would love to see a fresh revitalized ship and would enjoy walking around and taking pix.

Fingers crossed!

Just one more thought for consideration. The range of what people pay for a cruise is tremendous, depending on timing, perk level, etc.

I know we've been on cruises where people have paid significantly less then us, and significantly more then us, just because of timing.

An example, when Oasis came out, people that had booked a year in advance had prices half of what they were going for when it started to sail.

So a 'couple' coul be paying more (per person) then a single person with the surchange just because of timing, yet the single gets double points.

So is assessing the number points based on what people are paying really fair?

(again this will change nothing for me, and I have no objections to what they are doing, just ofering food for thought):confused:

I'm sure I'll get harpooned over this, but I'm not sure this is entirely fair (I understand the logic).

When my DW and I travel, I'm paying "double" so to speak, and when we traveled with our children and there were 4 of us in a cabin, we only got a 'point'. So when a family of 4 travels together, the amount they are paying for a 'room' versus what a single person is paying for a 'room' doesn't seem fair that the single person gets twice what the person that paid (probably) double for the same room (I understand the number of people thing).

Not that the points mean the world to me, so it's not going to effect anything I do or don't do, but I suppose a couple could book two ajoining rooms, pay the 50% difference and get double the points for the same trip they would have gotten 1 point for if in the same room. Kind of like buying points I guess, if someone was really into that sort of thing.

I brought up this same topic a few pages back......no double points for spending double as a couple....:(

I agree with you completely.

If this is a loyalty program, is a single passenger being any more loyal than a couple? If anything the couple is twice as loyal always paying twice as much and never getting a low single supplement option. Maybe someone booking the Royal Suite is being a lot more loyal than a single in an interior room. I know someone who books the RS every time they can get it and will "settle" for an owner's suite when they must. Aren't they being extra loyal?

Gina

Gina

Edited by mommabean

I just put a 24 hour hold on an outside room; this will give me a chance to get my ducks in a row. I will ONLY go if I get the double points; I am 4 points shy of Diamond going on a 10 day cruise; this would make me Diamond for my 10 day. That's the only way I can justify the expense and time. I too would love to see a fresh revitalized ship and would enjoy walking around and taking pix.

Fingers crossed!

You can justify it just because you get to go on the ship and enjoy the cruise. :)

Is there any way to be sure of the points you will get until after they are credited? After all RCI has changed the rules to the "game" in the past with no warning.

Gina

You can justify it just because you get to go on the ship and enjoy the cruise. :)

Is there any way to be sure of the points you will get until after they are credited? After all RCI has changed the rules to the "game" in the past with no warning.

Gina

Of course I would enjoy my time onboard; but I wouldn't take the time off of work (sub-contractor; no paid time off) for 1 day in Nassau unless I was getting an additional benefit.

I just spoke to Crown and Anchor. They said I would get 4 points for this cruise travelling solo. Based on my December cruise completing that would bring me up to Diamond before my 10 day in March.

So, according to their rules as of NOW, I would be Diamond by using the points from traveling solo on this. I was waiting for a W category on my December cruise to open up at a low price so I could get JS points, but the price never came down to my range and I think they sold out. I had begun to accept the fact I would be Emerald on my 10 day cruise and be Diamond for my October 2014 cruise. Then suddenly this policy, a price drop on this Vision quickie, my bosses approval, and I am ready to go.

Do I think they will move the goalposts on me? Not sure. But I am playing by their rules and making the most of it.

Now just waiting for my better half to weigh in, although I don't think she will mind. It's only 10am; very excited and nothing finalized yet :)

Points and airline miles have always gone to the passenger, not to the person paying for the trip.

Just one more thought for consideration. The range of what people pay for a cruise is tremendous, depending on timing, perk level, etc.

I know we've been on cruises where people have paid significantly less then us, and significantly more then us, just because of timing.

An example, when Oasis came out, people that had booked a year in advance had prices half of what they were going for when it started to sail.

So a 'couple' coul be paying more (per person) then a single person with the surchange just because of timing, yet the single gets double points.

So is assessing the number points based on what people are paying really fair?

(again this will change nothing for me, and I have no objections to what they are doing, just ofering food for thought):confused:

You might want to read the entire thread. This issue has been rehashed and beaten to death many times already.

I agree with you completely.

If this is a loyalty program, is a single passenger being any more loyal than a couple? If anything the couple is twice as loyal always paying twice as much and never getting a low single supplement option. Maybe someone booking the Royal Suite is being a lot more loyal than a single in an interior room. I know someone who books the RS every time they can get it and will "settle" for an owner's suite when they must. Aren't they being extra loyal?

Gina

Gina

You've brought this up many times already. No system is perfect. Is a person who spends 20% of their income on cruising, but can only cruise once per year any less loyal than someone who spend 5% of their income on cruising, cruises once per month and cruises with four different cruise lines?

How are you going to measure loyalty? By the amount paid? Fine, then everyone gets one point per $100 paid. By number of nights on the ship? Then the amount paid is irrelevant. Maybe loyalty should be based on how much someone likes the cruise. Then the Royal Champions would get two points per night, the regular passengers would get one point per night, and anyone that complained would get zero points per night. Or maybe loyalty could be measure by how many activities the person joins in. Each person would get one point per activity that they participated in. Activities that charged extra would be worth two points.

For someone who posted that they really don't care, you sure seem to be complaining about the new system a lot.

I think it can dilute the C&A system, four, seven night cruise in a suite, instant Diamond. Eight, seven night and one four night in a suite instant Diamond Plus.

So if you have the money you can buy status. If that person is then married we have two Diamond then Diamond Plus and the spouse doesn't even have to go on the cruises.