Singles to get Double Points

I think it can dilute the C&A system, four, seven night cruise in a suite, instant Diamond. Eight, seven night and one four night in a suite instant Diamond Plus.

So if you have the money you can buy status. If that person is then married we have two Diamond then Diamond Plus and the spouse doesn't even have to go on the cruises.

How many people care about status versus those that care about benefits though? Supplying too much of anything inherently dilutes status, but it can increase benefits and loyalty (the function of the program).

Also, 6 inside cabins is likely to be cheaper than 4 suites. You aren't getting double points for a suite; you get suite points plus a bonus. The bonus on suites is 50%. The bonus on everything lower than a suite is actually 100%. So the best value would be non-suites (ignoring the old time vs money saw, and ignoring other factors like travel to and from if applicable, discretionary spending, etc).

6 Cat Q's or Cat Z's is MOST of the time going to be substantially less $$$ than 4 JS's...and there is your Diamond.

With low supplements and flexible planning I feel like someone could start from scratch and reach Diamond in, say, $3k? (cruise fare only). Some people spend more than that for a couple on a single cruise just to get a balcony and get 7 points. Go figure. Someone will surely find a way to do it for even less than that figure.

Edited by LMaxwell

How many people care about status versus those that care about benefits though? Supplying too much of anything inherently dilutes status, but it can increase benefits and loyalty (the function of the program).

Cruise critic is the home of "worst case scenarios" often people imagine things going disastrously, when in reality it doesnt even register a blimp on any measurable scale.

Points and airline miles have always gone to the passenger, not to the person paying for the trip.

I didn't indicated they didn't I'm just questioning the person paying (passenger) getting double points because they are alone versus the same situation with two or more people.

I think it can dilute the C&A system, four, seven night cruise in a suite, instant Diamond. Eight, seven night and one four night in a suite instant Diamond Plus.

So if you have the money you can buy status. If that person is then married we have two Diamond then Diamond Plus and the spouse doesn't even have to go on the cruises.

No offense intended, but it makes sense that that post is written by somebody who lives a short drive from the pier. I live in the upper Midwest, so I have a substantial flight plus hotel and taxi to get to the pier. Frankly, it is unlikely anybody in my shoes would say 'four, seven night cruise in a suite, instant Diamond." Four cruises is not even close to instant from here.

I'd also point out that for years there has been a substantially faster way to Diamond, and it is likely much cheaper than sailing in suites. One can do 5 short Celebrity cruises in a glorified balcony cabin (so called Concierge class) to make Elite, which then make one Diamond. If making D is the big goal, a Midwesterner like me could do short cruises (strung as B2B2B and B2B) to make D quickly without great travel expense. And CC cabins are often not priced much higher than balconies. Once one make D, you have perks including a lounge and cocktails on most ships; that is a comfy spot to ehjoy while awaiting D+. (Granted There are rumors Celebrity may soon change their program, so anybody contemplating this idea should go in with eyes open.)

I didn't indicated they didn't I'm just questioning the person paying (passenger) getting double points because they are alone versus the same situation with two or more people.

If it is a question of fairness; I see your point. However, this loyalty program is designed to provide incentives to solo cruisers specifically. Therefore the rewards are geared towards that demographic. I have never cruised solo before but I bet a whole lot of them looked at rooms of four people (where 3 and 4 had reduced rates) and back when low single supplements were not common (and they really still aren't) and said "Gee, this people are paying less than HALF, per person, per day as to what I am paying. That sucks, but that's the system."

There's no way to have a rewards system be 100% fair and equitable to everyone, other than to have NO rewards system at all. The fact that solo cruisers not get an added incentive certainly doesn't take away from things you already have though.

Not that the points mean the world to me, so it's not going to effect anything I do or don't do, but I suppose a couple could book two ajoining rooms, pay the 50% difference and get double the points for the same trip they would have gotten 1 point for if in the same room. Kind of like buying points I guess, if someone was really into that sort of thing.

50% supplement kicks in at 340 points.

You've brought this up many times already. No system is perfect. Is a person who spends 20% of their income on cruising, but can only cruise once per year any less loyal than someone who spend 5% of their income on cruising, cruises once per month and cruises with four different cruise lines?

How are you going to measure loyalty? By the amount paid? Fine, then everyone gets one point per $100 paid. By number of nights on the ship? Then the amount paid is irrelevant. Maybe loyalty should be based on how much someone likes the cruise. Then the Royal Champions would get two points per night, the regular passengers would get one point per night, and anyone that complained would get zero points per night. Or maybe loyalty could be measure by how many activities the person joins in. Each person would get one point per activity that they participated in. Activities that charged extra would be worth two points.

For someone who posted that they really don't care, you sure seem to be complaining about the new system a lot.

I didn't bring it up. I was agreeing with someone.

What IS your problem? You spend a lot of time being nasty to people.

Gina

50% supplement kicks in at 340 points.

I'm not sure what that is, maybe my DW knows about this.

I guess I would just question if spending extra money to get to a certain level justifys the saving going forward.

For what I know about the different levels, I don't think I would spend extar money to get to a higher level faster, but again, maybe I don't have all the facts around the different perks.

I'm not sure what that is, maybe my DW knows about this.

I guess I would just question if spending extra money to get to a certain level justifys the saving going forward.

For what I know about the different levels, I don't think I would spend extar money to get to a higher level faster, but again, maybe I don't have all the facts around the different perks.

The 50% single supplement means that a single person in a stateroom pays no more than 150% of the per person price when 2 people are in that same stateroom. It is a perk extended to those with 340 cruise points in the Royal's loyalty club. It also has some exceptions like no holiday cruises and no cruises in July or August.

Edited by clarea

The 50% single supplement means that a single person in a stateroom pays no more than 150% of the per person price when 2 people are in that same stateroom. It is a perk extended to those with 340 cruise points in the Royal's loyalty club. It also has some exceptions like no holiday cruises and no cruises in July or August.

Okay, thank you!

Also, 6 inside cabins is likely to be cheaper than 4 suites. You aren't getting double points for a suite; you get suite points plus a bonus. The bonus on suites is 50%. The bonus on everything lower than a suite is actually 100%. So the best value would be non-suites (ignoring the old time vs money saw, and ignoring other factors like travel to and from if applicable, discretionary spending, etc).

6 Cat Q's or Cat Z's is MOST of the time going to be substantially less $$$ than 4 JS's...and there is your Diamond.

With low supplements and flexible planning I feel like someone could start from scratch and reach Diamond in, say, $3k? (cruise fare only). Some people spend more than that for a couple on a single cruise just to get a balcony and get 7 points. Go figure. Someone will surely find a way to do it for even less than that figure.

I realize suites are not the cheapest way, I stated you could buy Diamond status in only four cruises, if cost didn't matter.

You might want to read the entire thread. This issue has been rehashed and beaten to death many times already.

Don't you think that it is EXTREMELY ironic that you are chastising someone for replying before reading the entire thread???? :rolleyes:

I realize suites are not the cheapest way, I stated you could buy Diamond status in only four cruises, if cost didn't matter.

Fair point and valid. Your method does indeed get you there faster. Lot's of ways to slice this cake up. :D

I agree, one can now do it in relatively few cruises with your method. They could now make D going solo on two long cruises in a JS or higher.

Do you agree that for years now one has been able to make Diamond even faster via short 5 cruises Celebrity in concierge class or higher? Those could even include 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 night cruises as Celebrity has offered more short cruises lately. Yet I have not noticed people "diluting" the C&A system this way. Have you?

I agree, one can now do it in relatively few cruises with your method. They could now make D going solo on two long cruises in a JS or higher.

Do you agree that for years now one has been able to make Diamond even faster via short 5 cruises Celebrity in concierge class or higher? Those could even include 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 night cruises as Celebrity has offered more short cruises lately. Yet I have not noticed people "diluting" the C&A system this way. Have you?

They could do it in 4 cruises because Celebrity still gives 3 credits for a 12+ day cruise in a suite.

I booked it solo just because I wanted to see the ship and the crew is so great. We took Vision into dry dock so seeing the changes so soon at a bargain price is worth it. The bonus points will be gladly accepted. :)

There is no reason they wouldn't give the bonus points to a shorter cruise.

I'm booked! Never planned a vacation type trip before solo; and certainly not 3 weeks out. Since I registered for this site I booked 3 cruises:eek:

See ya onboard! I can't wait to see the newly refreshed ship.

I'm booked! Never planned a vacation type trip before solo; and certainly not 3 weeks out. Since I registered for this site I booked 3 cruises:eek:

See ya onboard! I can't wait to see the newly refreshed ship.

:) At least someone else can't resist. I'm surprised at how much availability there still is. I guess there really isn't anything to back it up to unless people want to end up in Panama after just 3 more days. I was already going to be in Miami beginning the 9th so it made the decision easy for me. There's not enough time to try everything but I hope for a night in Izumi if they have space available.

We just spent 24 days on board prior to dry dock and I told people I wouldn't be back until Tampa. Things change quickly. :D

Gina

:) At least someone else can't resist.

It's all about using the Diamond perks for my future 10 nighter. Also I was currently set to go on Allure and THEN Legend (10 night); I was concerned about being underwhelmed. Even though Vision is larger than the Legend it will give me a good taste of what is ahead. And, honestly, just being on a ship is fun. The cost and timing are right. I can drive to the port easily from my location (I can drive to FLL even easier though).

I figure 1 coffee per day and two cocktails before dinner in the DL on Legend is going to compensate for the cost of going on Vision. I stumped up the extra $3 per day for an oceanview.

The phone rep asked if I wanted any shore excursions. My reply was "I didn't realize the ship was actually going somewhere." Nassau. Darn. Coco Cay would have been a great "wouldn't say I'm missing work" day. :D

It's all about using the Diamond perks for my future 10 nighter. Also I was currently set to go on Allure and THEN Legend (10 night); I was concerned about being underwhelmed. Even though Vision is larger than the Legend it will give me a good taste of what is ahead. And, honestly, just being on a ship is fun. The cost and timing are right. I can drive to the port easily from my location (I can drive to FLL even easier though).

I figure 1 coffee per day and two cocktails before dinner in the DL on Legend is going to compensate for the cost of going on Vision. I stumped up the extra $3 per day for an oceanview.

The phone rep asked if I wanted any shore excursions. My reply was "I didn't realize the ship was actually going somewhere." Nassau. Darn. Coco Cay would have been a great "wouldn't say I'm missing work" day. :D

I did the same - got an ocean view. :)

I'm bringing Sky Juice back on board from Nassau. Do you think they'll let me keep it since they deliver it to the room on the last night anyway? After all, it will already be the last night when we reboard. ;)

Gina

I did the same - got an ocean view. :)

I'm bringing Sky Juice back on board from Nassau. Do you think they'll let me keep it since they deliver it to the room on the last night anyway? After all, it will already be the last night when we reboard. ;)

Gina

You make an excellent point. Also, how will I finish two bottles of wine in that short of a period. This may be a mistake. Eh...

Only Celebrity knows that answer.

Then read the entire thread, this issue has been rehashed and beaten to death.

It is not fair that a single person has to pay twice as much. Royal Caribbean (and Princess) are just trying to take some of the sting out of the supplement.

Oops sorry, I didn't realize I couldn't offer my view if it was already brought up.

You are free to offer your view. But as an answer to your post I am suggesting that you read the entire thread and you will see that your concern has already been debated. If you posted but don't care for an answer, then don't read the rest of the thread.