Fingers crossed for an NCL ship in Pt. Canaveral...

Tom-n-Cheryl

This morning there was an article in our local paper regarding two new (as yet unnamed) ships coming to Pt. Canaveral if a new terminal is approved.

Looking online for a link to that article I could only find it mentioned briefly HERE. Below is a cut-paste of that:

And Port Canaveral is likely to become home to two new cruise ships if commissioners approve plans to build a new terminal.

According to Port CEO John Walsh, that could mean a half-billion dollar annual boost to the local economy.

Walsh made his comments during a workshop focusing on plans to build a new $80 million cruise terminal and parking garage complex on the south side of the port.

Commissioners are likely to approve the project next month.

The article in the paper indicated that they have been in meetings with 3 cruise lines in Miami recently. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL were mentioned - but those were not confirmed, only speculation from the paper as I read it.

Tom

I sure hope so!!! I was hoping when the new NCL ships come out at least one would be there. Tampa may be building a huge port as well to accomodate the big ships so eventually I hope one gets put there also.

I recall some talk about a Tampa port - is that one which would not be on the bay side of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge? ... as that's a limiting factor to what ships the existing port can accommodate.

Tom

Unique Dual Popularity Supports Breakaway Opportunity

Port Canaveral will welcome 138 port-of-call ship visits in 2013 and is the only homeport in Florida that enjoys such port-of-call popularity. Recently, Norwegian Cruise Line announced that the flagship of its newest vessel class, the 4,000-passenger Norwegian Breakaway, will stop at Port Canaveral during 7-day cruises from its New York City homeport, starting in October.

In an exciting break from tradition, the line also announced that passengers will be able to board the Breakaway in Central Florida, for a 7-day round-trip to the Bahamas, New York City and back, making Port Canaveral a home(port) away from home(port).

http://www.recommend.com/draft/third-disney-ship-and-port-of-call-embarkations-at-port-canaveral-provide-more-cruise-sales-opportunities/

Port Canaveral will welcome 138 port-of-call ship visits in 2013 and is the only homeport in Florida that enjoys such port-of-call popularity. Recently, Norwegian Cruise Line announced that the flagship of its newest vessel class, the 4,000-passenger Norwegian Breakaway, will stop at Port Canaveral during 7-day cruises from its New York City homeport, starting in October.

In an exciting break from tradition, the line also announced that passengers will be able to board the Breakaway in Central Florida, for a 7-day round-trip to the Bahamas, New York City and back, making Port Canaveral a home(port) away from home(port).

http://www.recommend.com/draft/third-disney-ship-and-port-of-call-embarkations-at-port-canaveral-provide-more-cruise-sales-opportunities/

Thanks for posting that link. I've wondered why NCL has not touted this option (Pt. Canaveral boarding) more. I like to think that I stay fairly up-to-date on such local cruise "news", but have seen nothing in that regard in the local news -- and they are constantly reporting on (promoting) the local port.

Tom

This morning there was an article in our local paper regarding two new (as yet unnamed) ships coming to Pt. Canaveral if a new terminal is approved.

Looking online for a link to that article I could only find it mentioned briefly HERE. Below is a cut-paste of that:

And Port Canaveral is likely to become home to two new cruise ships if commissioners approve plans to build a new terminal.

According to Port CEO John Walsh, that could mean a half-billion dollar annual boost to the local economy.

Walsh made his comments during a workshop focusing on plans to build a new $80 million cruise terminal and parking garage complex on the south side of the port.

Commissioners are likely to approve the project next month.

The article in the paper indicated that they have been in meetings with 3 cruise lines in Miami recently. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL were mentioned - but those were not confirmed, only speculation from the paper as I read it.

Tom

What is the current setup in PC now? I know that DCL and RCCL have terminals and I've seen where Carnival parks, but isn't there another terminal with low or no usage?

Also, I thought when we came into PC on the Spirit a few years ago we used RCCL terminal - I seem to recall it being a blue/green color building. Where do the NCL ships go now?

There is one large probllem with the PC port stop....there is nothing for passengers within walking distance. It is either stay on the ship or do a tour. One of my least favorite ports.

We have stopped there many times on cruises. Last time we were there we took a bus to Walmart for an alarm clock. In February, we will be there again but will take the day to roam the 1/2 empty ship and really find all the hidden spots on the Breakaway.

We sail for the ship not the itinerary.

What is the current setup in PC now? I know that DCL and RCCL have terminals and I've seen where Carnival parks, but isn't there another terminal with low or no usage?

Also, I thought when we came into PC on the Spirit a few years ago we used RCCL terminal - I seem to recall it being a blue/green color building. Where do the NCL ships go now?

There are currently four main terminals, and a couple of others down the channel for ships stopping here (for a port of call). HERE'S a link to the Pt. Canaveral terminal info page.

Here's an image of the port thanks to Google Earth showing two of the four terminals being used. Not sure what the smaller ship is (it's apparently just there as a port of call):

i-QTZNT58-M.jpg

Tom

There is one large probllem with the PC port stop....there is nothing for passengers within walking distance. It is either stay on the ship or do a tour. One of my least favorite ports.

As a port of call, I fully agree. As a port of embarkation, it's hard to beat (and not only because it's 20-something minutes from our house). Our favorite of all the Florida (departure) ports.

Tom

I remember reading a lengthy review by some guy who took a NCL Sun cruise out of PC some years back and he was saying the cruise was filled with "silvers".

As it turns out PC wasn't a popular embarkation port and NCL had had to sell the empty cabins cheaply that the silvers (there are retirement towns/villages within vicinity of PC) snapped them up. Then, a portion of those silvers did not drink or spend anything and even asked for the DSCs be refunded.

PC wasn't profitable for NCL that NCL ended the 2 year stint there.

Also I thought there were some postings yesterday about the boarding ability out of PC was for Europeans only. U.S. citizens are not allowed to book that way, there was a mistake last year that a few folks snuck into and they are sweating it out hoping not to be "bumped". Seems that PC as a boarding port is very important to locals, but most travelers have favored Tampa and Miami and that's the real reason PC ceased to exist with NCL.

Also I thought there were some postings yesterday about the boarding ability out of PC was for Europeans only. U.S. citizens are not allowed to book that way, there was a mistake last year that a few folks snuck into and they are sweating it out hoping not to be "bumped". Seems that PC as a boarding port is very important to locals, but most travelers have favored Tampa and Miami and that's the real reason PC ceased to exist with NCL.

Yes, but......

Yesterday one could book the Breakaway from Port Canaveral again. Sailings were Oct., Nov., Dec. Just a few categories. Different for each sailing. Not that availability is gone again ....:confused:

Interesting!! Are there excursions you can take to Cape Kennedy? We live here in South Florida and love going there and think that would be a great place to visit if there is a "stop" there! ;);)

Interesting!! Are there excursions you can take to Cape Kennedy? We live here in South Florida and love going there and think that would be a great place to visit if there is a "stop" there! ;);)

Yes, they have excursions such as that. They also have excursions to "Historic" Cocoa Village (mainly for wandering around many quaint shops). It's interesting to see people walking around here with stickers and wristbands... "tourists" :rolleyes:

LOL :D

Tom

Yes, they have excursions such as that. They also have excursions to "Historic" Cocoa Village (mainly for wandering around many quaint shops). It's interesting to see people walking around here with stickers and wristbands... "tourists" :rolleyes:

Tom

LOL! :D I would think the Space Center will like them, but sure it is a bit strange for the resident folks! ;)

Tom

We've done the Space Center. We've also been 4 of those "tourists" on the Historic Cocoa Village tour. I found a few Precious Moments figurines in one of those quaint shops for my collection. We especially enjoyed the gator sticks at the one bar there across from where the tour bus picks you back up. We tried to find some last time at Cocoa Beach but the only ones we could find were not nearly as good as the ones we had at Cocoa Village. In fact they sucked after we raved how good they are. We also enjoyed the Coca Cola shop.

Maybe NCL is testing the waters by doing the PC boardings .

With a couple new builds on the horizon they are running out of home ports.

Maybe SF will get one:p

Since the Breakaway is not a cold weather ship, I'm guessing cruises in the fall and winter are not in high demand in the tri-state area, so taking on more passengers in Fla is smart and better then sailing half empty.

In an exciting break from tradition, the line also announced that passengers will be able to board the Breakaway in Central Florida, for a 7-day round-trip to the Bahamas, New York City and back, making Port Canaveral a home(port) away from home.

What a great idea! Wish more ships would do that!

With a couple new builds on the horizon they are running out of home ports.

Both Miami and New York City can handle two super large ships, one on Saturday and another on Sunday. The fifth super large ship can remain in Europe, probably Barcelona, year 'round as well.

That means NCL will have to find a home for its 10 other Panamax and smaller ships.

In the summer season:

Honolulu, Seattle (2), Vancouver, Venice, Miami (Sky), Boston, Copenhagen accounts for 8 of them, leaving two ships available. I'm not sure where NCL add homeports for the summer season.

In the winter season, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Miami (Sky), New Orleans, Houston, Tampa, and Rome accounts for 7 of them - leaving three available. I assume Miami could handle an additional ship for the Southern Caribbean sailings, still leaving two ships needing homes for the season.

Archived