Royal Caribbean reserved areas on ships

Try celebrity, we like the line better than Royal even though they are owned by the same company.

Nope- celebrity won't work. Celebrity ropes off theater seating for full suite passengers for one or two shows. Suite passengers also got priority debarkation at ports and priority embarkation ( with a red carpet).

OP, suite benefits are clearly listed in RCCL publications. It is company policy to provide these perks, nut sure what customer service could do for you. The best way to let RCCL know of your disappointment is the guest survey.

M

My family and I were on the adventure last august and we didn't even notice the reserved seating in the theatre, but did c the gold card loungers by the pool which were never full up and not always In the best position for the sunshine or noise depending on what u want.

I was thinking the same thing. The OP stated they were unhappy and geez did everyone get harsh. If you disagree with the complaint just move on. I'm sure everyone who told him to quit complaining has never complained about anything!

There is no problem with people posting their complaints or disappointments. However, the solution to the issue, changing cruise lines, just seems a bit over the top to some. And everyone has just as much right to say so as the OP has to post. Maybe the OP also had other issues with the cruise that drove him to his final solution but, if so, he didn't mention them. The reserved seating was put in place several years ago. It generated a lot of discussion at the time but it really has minimal effect on non-suite guests. So most of us have moved on to other topics I guess.

Whilst funny, not strictly true, sure Aqua Class have priority over bookings in Blue, I have been able to dine in there when in a regular cabin :D

I think that he would be MORE annoyed when he boards and finds that unless he is in an AquaClass stateroom, he may not eat in Blu!

:eek:

WOW this must have really hit a nerve in some people its getting as good as a smoking tread . We have never had a gold sea pass don't think we will either we haven't ever booker a suite. But that just life if you book a suite and pay all that extra money you should have some special privileges it doesn't bother us . Cruising is so great just enjoy the ship and don't worry about the small stuff.

I didn't get past page 1 of this thread. Here is my own opinion, plain and simple. I'm happy for all a cruise ship has to offer, I don't dwell on what it doesn't, nor do I ever feel something was taken away from me for the benefit of gold passes. Hey, that might be ME ond day :D I'm sorry the OP feels differently......shrug.

Gold Card isn't a higher fare . It's a level attained by the number of times you have cruised with RCI.
A "gold" card is given to suite guests GS and above and it is a higher fare. Your confusewd regarding the "gold" card you receive after your first cruise, which is the crown and anchor card....K.O.

Whats up with the "EEK" symbol? Isnt it part of the travel experience to not be around "equals"..?

Maybe they are like me and just think that is the funniest symbol...hahaha

I find it so entertaining to read the wide variety of posts on CC. :eek::D:p:rolleyes::cool:;)

Most, but not all, of the respondents on this thread have been North Americans.

I discovered something very different from our experiences in the Caribbean and around the Americas, when we sailed on the Independence out of Southampton.

On that particular trip, two years ago, we were three of only 120 Americans on board. (:eek:)

We experienced something SO strange, SO foreign, SO............odd, that I wasn't sure what to make of it.

But it certainly made me use my status to get into that reserved seating, even though those seats were up in the balcony.

On that cruise, and, I suspect, on thecumbrian's cruise, the passengers MOB the theater the moment the doors are unlocked. They SWARM in, and plant themselves, not caring about the 45 or so minutes until show time.

And they attend EVERY show. EVERY show is full to the rafters, with EVERY seat taken.

It's as though they expect the Queen to make an appearance, or maybe Benny Hill. ;)

I had never seen this before, nor have I seen it since.

Seats truly are at a premium in the theater on cruises out of Southampton.

This in NO WAY means that I support thecumbrian's attitude.

But I understand in a way that you all may not.

Haha, we British love a show. Also the war mentality of if you see a queue join it as you never know what it's for has never left us.

Haha, we British love a show. Also the war mentality of if you see a queue join it as you never know what it's for has never left us.

As an American, I am thankful for the legacy of the queue that we received from the British. Traveling in Spain an Italy where it is not as common was a little frustrating for me.

As I returned to the states order slowly came back, from waiting your turn to deplane to lining up to go through imigration.

Now that I have thanked the British, maybe I should rethink it - maybe I should resent the queue, sharpen my elbows and go for it! :D

My point

I was not told when I booked the cruise that certain public areas of the ship would not be accessible to me.

All public areas were were accessible to you. Those Areas not accessible to you are not public, but roped off private areas reserved for certain guests:p

Yes it did. I complained on the ship and then forgot about it. I just won't cruise with them again. Plently more ships on the sea.

This is a great decision for RCI and it´s passengers, however you need to be very careful about your choice of cruiseline/ship, as many/most/if not all ships do reserve certain areas for certain guests.

It's even worse than the OP thinks. I'm about to board the IOS and have a suite. The special treatment started before I get on the ship. I was sent self adhesive, laminated luggage labels by RCI!

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... You mean you didn't have to buy the luggage tag holder from CC, print the tags out, fold them and put them in the holders? (and yes, I know there are other ways to do the tags without the holders.... no flames please! ;) )

Thats it.... I've had it. I'm going to complain to someone about this atrocity. And, now, I'm only about 30 days away. Might have just ruined my vacation. :eek:

Ok, seriously.... we were on the Allure last year. I don't think we EVER saw the roped off sections. Not saying they aren't there or such... but, they just didn't have an impact on our trip. We had reservations for our shows, we found plenty of chairs at the pool, and didn't care about any reserved seating in the WJ (if there is such a thing). Its a HUGE ship, so much to do, so many things to enjoy.

So often I've read the reviews that have negative things to say. I believe in many cases, but probably not all of them... the ones with HUGE negative comments started from something small. Folks, just don't let the little stuff get ya down. Take a step back from the railing, take a deep breath, and relax. (and no smoking on a balcony comments ;) )

I truly believe (after all of one cruise!), RCCL provides the tools to have a great time. Its what you do with them that makes or breaks the trip. Don't like the food in the WJ... go MDR (and vice-versa). Don't like the person you are sitting next to at the pool.... move to a different chair, or go to the Solarium, or get some froyo, or check out the Waveriders... so much to do to let one thing get ya down!

33 days.... sigh....

I believe that loyalty and paying higher fares for suites should come with perks - if not for perks then what's the point of being loyal or paying more?

The only thing I don't agree with is that the roped off areas are only "prime" locations to some passengers. Not all gold card members want to sit in the sun or in the reserved sections of the theater so they sit elsewhere. This then causes one person to technically have 2 seats taken which is not so great during prime pool hours.

Don't know how they could fix that though.:cool:

To amplify, if the OP was unhappy about the reserved pool seats and reserved theater seats, obviously he has not researched the 3 class system on the QM, each with it's own restaurant. As well as bars, etc.

I like to sit at the rear of the theater to take pictures with my superzoom camera and those seats are never crowded. Which is why I like 'em, no heads bobbin around in front of me. And the somewhat steep angle means that I have a clear line to the stage.

And a further bit of advise to the OP, don't even think about booking NCL. Their suite benefits are INSANE!

I´d really like to hear more about your experiences on the QM2 and the 3 class System. I must have missed quite a bit on my QM2 crossings. Yes there´s three different Restaurants and your seating is determined by cabin category, but then you need to throw in the fourth class with Britannia Club.

Bars, well there is the Queens Grill Lounge, which sort of equals the CL on RCI.

There´s a reserved sund deck for grill guests, just like the reserved seating on RCI.

Not sure what etc. you are talking about, but eager to hear more about it.

IME if QM2 is three class, then most cruise lines are, including RCI.

OP before you jump ship to another line read their brochures and you will see all the major lines offer a perk of some type to their loyal long term guests and also for the suite guests. It is the way of the world. WE all have the same opportunity to cruise, cruise and cruise some more and build up our own loyalty points and also, to purchase a suite on our next cruise. My Mom is a pinnacle C&A member and she does not care for the reserved seats but she loves some of the other perks. I just enjoy a cruise!!! Would rather return to my worse cruise than spend a week in the board room!!!!

To amplify, if the OP was unhappy about the reserved pool seats and reserved theater seats, obviously he has not researched the 3 class system on the QM, each with it's own restaurant. As well as bars, etc.

I like to sit at the rear of the theater to take pictures with my superzoom camera and those seats are never crowded. Which is why I like 'em, no heads bobbin around in front of me. And the somewhat steep angle means that I have a clear line to the stage.

And a further bit of advise to the OP, don't even think about booking NCL. Their suite benefits are INSANE!

I'm glad to hear you sit in the back of the theater. Nothing is more annoying than all those video screens popping up in front of us. Is anyone really ever going to watch the video? People taking video to me are missing the show.

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Adventure of the Seas to the Canary isles from Southampton.

It’s about three years since I have cruised with Royal Caribbean.

I was shocked and rather disappointed to see that certain areas of the ship were reserved for gold card holders only, for example the centre tiered section of the main pool was roped off and a sign posted "Gold card holders only”, and the

centre balcony section of the theatre. The staff did allow non gold card holders into the theatre section as the performance was about to begin, if there were any seats not taken by gold card holders. This meant there was always a crowd of people waiting at the entrance to this section, and then a mad rush and push for the seats when the rope was dropped.

I am all for people getting value for money and understand that Gold card holders have paid higher fares but my complaint is their extra privileges effect other customers by the above segregations and exclusions on the ship. The discrimination that one feels when asked to sit in a shaded area by the pool when there are plenty of empty seats in the sun or to have to wait in a queue to see if gold card holders will come to take up their seat is quite upsetting and should be highlighted in the holiday brochure.

Royal Caribbean “the nation of why not” it’s because you are not a gold card holder, that’s why not.:mad:

This is because they pay a lot more money for the suites, or they have paid a considerable amount of money over the years to become Pinnacle Club members....either way I do not object or begrudge them having a few seats roped off in the theatre or by the pool.

Do you also object to people who have paid more for their airline seat turning left when they board the plane instead of turning right like the rest of us. Does it actually say on the BA website (or any other airline for that matter) that certain areas of the plane are not accessible to everyone on the plane?:rolleyes:

Mmmm the OP's favourite dish - a large dose of sour grapes with chips methinks (chips on the shoulder that is).

At first I actually thought it was a spoof post :rolleyes:

On the Navigator earlier this year I did envy those reserved beds, always with plenty of spaces and lovely big fluffy towels, but I didn't begrudge them. I could have been sitting there had I paid for a suite. As for the reserved seats in the theatre - I could have been there as a D+ but don't like the location.

On the Navigator earlier this year I did envy those reserved beds, always with plenty of spaces and lovely big fluffy towels, but I didn't begrudge them. I could have been sitting there had I paid for a suite. As for the reserved seats in the theatre - I could have been there as a D+ but don't like the location.

I've looked at them with envy too. Then I remembered that I was a fair skin blonde and they weren't quite as appealing. What good would they do me if I could only sit there for 10 - 15 minutes? I couldn't even finish a frozen drink in that time. :D

Archived