New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

Amazing .. I agree. I am not a smoker but my husband is.. So if someone does not like the smoking or attire. Move or look away.. We all pay a high price to cruise and enjoy ourselves.

Oceania have 2 designated smoking areas if you or your DH will be smoking out of those areas expect the consequences that go along with breaking the rules

This is NOT Carnival where you can do what you like where smoking is concerned no matter what price you paid

People will not just look away

Lyn

It is great that SOME people can afford their own private tour, or always have people travelling with them to defray the cost of their private tour.

We can not afford a private tour on our own.

We choose to sail Oceania for the wonderful experience, and don't want to take ship excursions.

If I do the work of organizing a private tour(researching guides, communicating with guides and participants for several months, reconfirming with guides and participants before the cruise), I feel I have every right to ask for non smokers only, so I can enjoy the fruits of my labour.

I do NOT go around sniffing people to see if they smoke; I don't have to: 99% of the time, I know immediately.

Your attire does not affect my health. Your kids do not affect my health(well. maybe my mental health!)

Your smoking affects my health.

I have no problem with smokers on the ship. I will not avoid you if you are a smoker...I just want to be able to breathe in small, enclosed spaces.

Perhaps I should have posted this on the "Smokers" thread a few days ago, but this discussion thread has crossed into the same area.

Edited by tropicalkerry2002
clarification

Now I am very confused.. I booked on the carnival Magic for thanksgiving 2013 and now regretting it.. I have been reading about how on carnival people are rude, drunk and the shows suck.. I am taking my daughter 8 & 11 should I have just booked Disney .. Again?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you compare the brochures for most luxury lines of ten years ago with those today you'll see a big difference. Ten years ago there were photos of models in tuxes and gowns in the restaurant. Today the models are dressed casually. More photos depict outdoor activities etc. The reason is they are desperately trying to attract a younger demographic which does not want to carry tuxes on a cruise. It's an evolving trend and I seriously doubt it can be stopped.

Now I am very confused.. I booked on the carnival Magic for thanksgiving 2013 and now regretting it.. I have been reading about how on carnival people are rude, drunk and the shows suck.. I am taking my daughter 8 & 11 should I have just booked Disney ..

In don't understand why you would post this on the Oceania board.

Is that what you meant to do?

Oceania have 2 designated smoking areas if you or your DH will be smoking out of those areas expect the consequences that go along with breaking the rules

This is NOT Carnival where you can do what you like where smoking is concerned no matter what price you paid

People will not just look away

Lyn

This is one of the things we loved about O. There is zero tolerance for smoking and we never once smelled smoke. It was awesome.:)

As one who has cruised often but not very active on the forums this discussion was not about smoking but about respect for someone who invited you to their house/ship.

Rules are to be respected and if they are not I don't invite you back to my house.

If you dress down in jeans you would not be welcome into any of the various country clubs I belong to. Same with the ship. But I guess they can't throw you overboard mid-cruise???

There are those out there who would behave according to there own rules, those are the individuals who can take their fare and go elsewhere.

The bottom line is"O" sets the rules and they have dumbed it down to get extra revenue at the cost of the loss of my revenue for years to come. "O" you should play with the big boys and do like Netfilck did and vote with the majority who say keep it the same and have some class.

I hate to bring the discussion back to the original topic, but reading some of the early comments on this thread threw me a little. There are people complaining about men who don't "tuck their shirts in". There are many shirts made that are meant to be worn out (i.e. Tommy Bahama shirts). These shirts, worn over a nice pair of pants, are very definitely considered "country club casual" and my husband wore them on our last Oceania cruise without so much as a pained look from anyone. In fact, many men wore them (on a Caribbean cruise) and no one's head spun around in horror at the sight of them ... even though, to be honest, our Butler told us he should tuck it in. I assumed he didn't understand the fashion.

As for "jeans", there are jeans and there are denims. I wore white denims several times on our cruise (they look like white pants ... no stitching) that might be considered "designer" (though I've always hated that word truthfully ... who is to say what is "designer" and what is not? ) Again, no one looked at me in an odd way or seemed to question whether I was dressed properly.

So the fact that Oceania has relaxed its policy somewhat to reflect an understanding of that difference is good news to me. I now know that I was dressed appropriately ... thank heaven for that:rolleyes:.

I made a note to myself , that my local travel agency was having an Oceania representative information afternoon.

The advert stated that Oceania was a luxury line, and I thought it would suit my requirements, then I read this thread.

I will not bother to drive to the agency, overalls, work boots, work jeans, work shirts, no thank you, I could join customers wearing these at my local diner, for just a few dollars, why pay Oceania prices to eat that way.

I made a note to myself , that my local travel agency was having an Oceania representative information afternoon.

The advert stated that Oceania was a luxury line, and I thought it would suit my requirements, then I read this thread.

I will not bother to drive to the agency, overalls, work boots, work jeans, work shirts, no thank you, I could join customers wearing these at my local diner, for just a few dollars, why pay Oceania prices to eat that way.

As you wish.

However, I would suggest you give them a try and see for yourself :)

There is nothing like a first hand experience in judging any product.

JMO.

You will be missed on O !:rolleyes:

Wow. If I took this thread, or many threads I've read on CC, and took it to the bank as gospel I wouldn't cruise at all.

I have only been on one Oceania cruise this past January and it was in the Caribbean which tends to be far more casual than other itineraries and I can assure you there was not one pair of overalls, work boots, work jeans or work shirts to be seen.

There are people who post stuff just to to raz the diehard fans and get a rise out of them ... works every time. CC can provide a lot of useful information, but you have to be very careful to filter it all.

I would put Oceania up against every line I have ever cruised (and there have been a lot since 1982) in terms of how people dress. I will tell you this ... I didn't see one 'butt crack' hanging over the edge of a hot tub and I sure have seen a lot of those on Celebrity and Holland America. I'll take overalls before I'm treated to that sight again anytime soon!!!:D

I have only been on one Oceania cruise this past January and it was in the Caribbean which tends to be far more casual than other itineraries and I can assure you there was not one pair of overalls, work boots, work jeans or work shirts to be seen.

There are people who post stuff just to to raz the diehard fans and get a rise out of them ... works every time. CC can provide a lot of useful information, but you have to be very careful to filter it all.

What you say may be true but not in our case. Our first Oceania cruise was in May (Istanbul to Rome) on the beautiful Riviera. The cases we saw of overalls and shorts (sloppy, old, cutoff jeans on a man) occurred in the evening (around 9:00 - 10:00 p.m.). The people were not in a restaurant -- the person in shorts was in the elevator with us. It is certainly possible that they had dinner in the Terrace Café where a person may wear almost anything (assume that bathrobes and bathing suits are not considered appropriate -- even though bathrobes were worn in the Executive Lounge).

Posters on the Oceania board know that we absolutely adored our cruise. Seeing the farm type clothing in the evening was just a bit surprising and in no way ruined our experience. We still laugh about it.

Edited by Travelcat2

What you say may be true but not in our case. Our first Oceania cruise was in May (Istanbul to Rome) on the beautiful Riviera. The cases we saw of overalls and shorts (sloppy, old, cutoff jeans on a man) occurred in the evening (around 9:00 - 10:00 p.m.). The people were not in a restaurant -- the person in shorts was in the elevator with us. It is certainly possible that they had dinner in the Terrace Café where a person may wear almost anything (assume that bathrobes and bathing suits are not considered appropriate -- even though bathrobes were worn in the Executive Lounge).

Posters on the Oceania board know that we absolutely adored our cruise. Seeing the farm type clothing in the evening was just a bit surprising and in no way ruined our experience. We still laugh about it.

I guess I am not considered a "poster on the Oceania board" because I didn't happen to read your reivew and I've only been reading and posting for about a year.

Nonetheless, you make my point. It is highly unusual or you wouldn't even comment about it. The poster I was specifically responding to has never cruised Oceania, read this thread and decided they never will because of overalls, etc.

I consider that ridiculous which is why I responded.

I hope you are not serious :eek:

Most people on Oceania are well dressed I personally have never seen overalls or work boots on my cruises

Lyn

You know some people just don't have taste. You can't legislate it. It's not on Oceania as a rule. Some people just stand out like a sore thumb.

We were on a Celebrity Cruise a few years back - maybe 10 years ago. One family from New Jersey took the train down to Florida. About 12 people; They were 3 or 4 to a cabin; They wore their Sunday Best but it was not appropriate. Plaids and Stripes, Jeans - not designer; Walmart. They were loud and obnoxious in our opinion. I won't go into some of the details of cabin arrangements.

They had a great time. They were celebrating someone's special occasion whatever it was. We stayed away from them - they were not our cup of tea.

That can happen any where - home, restaurants, hotels, cruise ships. It's not often but people are people; You can choose to let it bother you and affect your own good time or you can move elsewhere - ship, restaurant, hotel or other public place.

Attitude and outlook are everything.

Wow. If I took this thread, or many threads I've read on CC, and took it to the bank as gospel I wouldn't cruise at all.

I would put Oceania up against every line I have ever cruised (and there have been a lot since 1982) in terms of how people dress. I will tell you this ... I didn't see one 'butt crack' hanging over the edge of a hot tub and I sure have seen a lot of those on Celebrity and Holland America. I'll take overalls before I'm treated to that sight again anytime soon!!!:D

I can assure you of the overalls and workboot attire. Not tidy at all. It was on my cruise this May, Venice to Athens. It was a family from Canada. We met them.

Did if affect my meals, or or shore excursions, or my experience. Of course not, but I just thought to myself, just as if I saw them at a wedding or function dressed this way... "is that really the best they can do"?

I can assure you of the overalls and workboot attire. Not tidy at all. It was on my cruise this May, Venice to Athens. It was a family from Canada. We met them.

Did if affect my meals, or or shore excursions, or my experience. Of course not, but I just thought to myself, just as if I saw them at a wedding or function dressed this way... "is that really the best they can do"?

But we're their overalls and work boots clean?

Every O cruise I've been on has had one or two couples who "stand out in a crowd" in a negative way. One cruise it was a groups' dress, another cruise they were often fairly inebriated and loud. Did any of these folks hurt anyone else? NO!

Can't we all just move on, here? Which of us hasn't had an off day, now and again - the day we didn't have time to fix our hair just right, or the week we were behind on laundry so had to wear something we'd worn before. There's an old saying about casting the first stone. An updated version of that goes "bark less, wag more." If we'd all try to live that way, life would be easier for us all.