New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

Maybe not on a cruise you have done - but they were wearing designer jeans on our last Regent Cruise in Compass Rose.

Had I seen it, I would have reported it. From what I have heard since you sailed on Regent is that their passengers (like passengers on Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea) do not want their product to degrade to jeans in a 6 star restaurant.

Having sailed on Oceania and only seeing jeans and shorts in the hallways at night, passengers dressed in a manner that fit the ship....... very elegantly. It would be a shame to see denim in Red Ginger, Polo, Jacques or any of the lovely dining venues.

It appears, from what I have read, is that Oceania is trying to implement a Country Club Casual dress code and leaving the interpretation up to the passengers. IMO, this cannot work as dress standards vary within the U.S. as well as in the U.K. Some people feel that "designer" jeans are perfect in a country club.

People really appreciate having the dress code spelled out for them. What is acceptable and what is not. Oceania's Marina and Riviera are probably the most elegant ships at sea. Do you really want to see people in torn jeans and overalls dining in Le Reserve?

When Regent changed the dress code, some people posted that it was a "slippery slope" from Elegant Casual to Wal-Mart casual. Those people were right. Hope the same does not happen to Oceania.

Edited by Travelcat2

On one of my Oceania Cruises the passengers next door included a 17 year old girl. She did not get the memo on dress code and brought only Jeans. This was in the Baltics, where passengers tend to dress up a bit more. She was not allowed in the MDR or specialty restaurants and had room service nightly while her family ate upstairs.

Her jeans were clean, no holes and she was well dressed for that age group. She was actually an honors student and already a 2nd year college student. There was nothing offensive about her and I would not have objected to her joining her family in the MDR.

I may not want to wear jeans, and I like dressing well. I didn't like being in the upscale restaurant with people in shorts, but, honestly, I think that there are rules and there are rules and I think there is a place for breaking them. My husband lives in Levi 501's and they look great with a jacket and dress shirt. He won't be seen eating dinner on the ship dressed like that; But I see no reason that girl could not dine with her family.

Well a change of pants is a good thing, no matter what kind of pants they are!

Well said! On this side of the Pond it's always considered a good thing to have a change of "pants", no matter what make they are..... :D:D:D

Sorry, I know what you meant, but I couldn't resist that...It's a cultural difference! ;)

I looked up the costliest Jeans and they are $1 million. Probably more than the sum total of all the clothes worn on board.

Dolce & Gabanna also have a pair as follows.

You need to sign up if you want a pair of these jeans because there is a waiting list of people willing to buy it. The Dolce & Gabbana pair features distressed faded fabric as the material for the denim. It also has embroidered butterfly designs. The back pocket is covered with a pink patch and adorned with a gold logo of the fashion design company. A snip at $1200.

What a bunch of snobs !!!

Wear what you feel most comfortable in....stretch pants, jeans or overalls. I do not give a fig. Just enjoy yourselves.

Brian

When Regent changed the dress code, some people posted that it was a "slippery slope" from Elegant Casual to Wal-Mart casual. Those people were right. Hope the same does not happen to Oceania.

Sorry to shock you but the current dress code on O (which is not ELEGANT casual) permits Wal-mart casual. There is no requirement that folks dress fashionably or shop in upscale venues. A pair of cheap wrinkled polyester capris (from Wal-Mart) coupled with a tacky sparkly shirt with a Yorkie on it is completely within the guidelines. And some folks think that tacky sparkly shirt is "elegant."

You want to legislate taste and style and fashion? Impossible. One man's elegant is another man's tacky.

That's why this thread is utterly ridiculous IMO

I vote for clean and neat.

Edited by pacheco18

Well said! On this side of the Pond it's always considered a good thing to have a change of "pants", no matter what make they are..... :D:D:D

Sorry, I know what you meant, but I couldn't resist that...It's a cultural difference! ;)

Being a Canadian, I thought I was pretty well "ambidextrous" when it comes to American versus British nomenclature, but you've got me stumped. I don't get the joke--unless you mean that "pant" is a verb.

Sorry to shock you but the current dress code on O (which is not ELEGANT casual) permits Wal-mart casual. ...

Yes, and yes. As someone said, an old pair of Dockers could look a lot worse than a nice pair of jeans.

As for the teenaged girl, I'm shocked that O would do that, not letting her have dinner in the dining room. Perhaps this is the kind of thing that has led to a softening of the rules.

Being a Canadian, I thought I was pretty well "ambidextrous" when it comes to American versus British nomenclature, but you've got me stumped. I don't get the joke--unless you mean that "pant" is a verb.

Two (three?) nations divided by a common language! :)

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/pants

It still makes me laugh!! :D

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/pants

It still makes me laugh!! :D

And me! :D

And don't forget the kids have that dreadful expression when they say something is "pants"! When they mean it's not to their liking. Well I think that's what they mean! LOL!

Anyway, I can't believe you're all still going on about jeans - I mean really, who cares, does it spoil your holiday (that's vacation to you Wendy ;)), really, does it? If you were sharing a table and your new table mates were wearing jeans, would you refuse to join them?

I would rather some wore jeans as at least it would cover up those legs which should really never see the light of day in public when shorts are worn!!!

IMHO it's all pants! :p

Travelcat2 - jeans worn on our last Seabourn cruise! - But who would have known - they were very smart black jeans, and you would never have known had the lady concerned not told me - I think she thought she was being a bit of a devil wearing jeans to dinner!

Edited by fairbourne

Definitely three. (But really 4 or 5, don't forget Australia and New Zealand.)

... does it spoil your holiday (that's vacation to you Wendy ;)),

Actually no, we tend to say holiday, although both words are used. I have tried to train myself to say "vacation" to mean, time off from work, as opposed to "holiday" to mean a public holiday like Labour Day, when I''m in the States in the winter. But I usually forget.

Sorry to shock you but the current dress code on O (which is not ELEGANT casual) permits Wal-mart casual. There is no requirement that folks dress fashionably or shop in upscale venues. A pair of cheap wrinkled polyester capris (from Wal-Mart) coupled with a tacky sparkly shirt with a Yorkie on it is completely within the guidelines. And some folks think that tacky sparkly shirt is "elegant."

You want to legislate taste and style and fashion? Impossible. One man's elegant is another man's tacky.

I believe that you misread my post. I was trying to indicate that Regent was Elegant Casual - not Oceania and I was hoping that Oceania would be fairly specific about their dress code so that it is not misunderstood like Regent's dress code was. Sorry if my post got you upset.

I agree that clean and neat is important and also agree that "One man's elegant is another man's tacky." It is for those reasons that the dress code needs to be very clear rather than open to interpretation (pictures may help!?). I honesty don't know how to write a dress code that states that clothing with holes, or baggy and sloppy, etc. are not permitted.

Edited by Travelcat2

I love Yorkies - and clean and neat works. Maybe they need two dress codes and we've gone too far casual. One for the specialty restaurants.

Pacheco18,

I agree with you completely.

ChatKat,

That 17 year old girl who took all her meals in the cabin because she only brought jeans....didn't anyone tell her or her parents that she could have bought a different pair of pants or a skirt in the gift shop or one of the ports?

At 17 she may have "chosen her hill to die on" to express her opinion of the dress code. Or she may have been in rebellion with her parents regarding her attendance on the cruise - away from her friends. Who knows? Seventeen year old girls are often a mystery known to no one, not even themselves.

She was not American. Her mother was dressed in clothing specific to her heritage in a sari. She met her family onboard the ship being away from school. I think it was not important to her. FWIW - She was in a PH3 all by herself;

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

She was not American. Her mother was dressed in clothing specific to her heritage in a sari. She met her family onboard the ship being away from school. I think it was not important to her. FWIW - She was in a PH3 all by herself;

That explains it Lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Laraine,

Totally agree with your post as to the Oceania dress code. That is also one of the reasons we initially started cruising with Oceania. Wonderful ships with great itineraries, like individuals and a relaxed dress code but neat and thoughtful at the sametime hopefully.On every line and ship there will always be some individual or handful of individuals who will go to extremes on how they dress or exhibit inappropriateness to a given situation for whatever their reason. However, I pay no attention nor do I let it take up space in my head, nor ruin my cruise experience. My travels are way too exciting to bother with how others are dressed. If I was so inclined, I guess all my cruising would be done on Cunard or Crystal. For my husband and I, Oceania is the perfect fit. Thank you Oceania. Also, the Terrace is a wonderful option for an even more casual dining option, which is something that family with the teenager could have opted for. We did it numerous times on our Med cruise with Oceania. Husband had on nice cargo shorts with Tommy Bahamas shirt and nice boating shoes. Many other men dressed the same way. What fabulous evenings we had. On our Viking Odyssey cruise in July to colder northern ports, we will have plenty of jeans with us. Look forward to it.

When you think about it, all this jean talk. What about the people that over dress! I still vote - if I get a vote that jeans are OK as long as they look good. Really I wish I could wear them myself, but.......

Rick

Some people are simply going to dress properly for a five or six star restaurant rather than dressing to go to McDonald's. I admire the fact that you recognize that jeans may not be the best look for you. Actually, they are not the best look for most people. Either your butt is too large or not there which leaves a baggy bottom (assume I am allowed to say that). I do wonder what percentage of people over 50 years of age look good in jeans.

In my opinion, the Terrace Café is a good venue for jeans, shorts or whatever. This dining venue was our least favorite and had an upscale coffee shop feel to it. As recommended by another poster, the specialty restaurants deserve to have a dress code worthy of the dining venue.

In any event, the dress code will be whatever it will be. One can only hope that it will be respected!

P.S. Hoping not to be flamed for my opinion. After all, it is my opinion:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat, I'm certainly not going to flame you.

I'm just questioning why you thought Terrace was an upscale coffee shop. Which ship were you on? I'm just curious. We have enjoyed dinners in Terrace on all ships, although there is no question that Terrace on Marina in Oct 2011 was far superior to Terrace on the "R" ships. I'm awaiting the "R" ship upgrades.

Then again, I'm wondering about Ronrick's comment about people "overdressing".

On our first Renaissance cruise (Oct 1999) we saw a group of 6 who were dressed formally. Why not? I thought it was charming!

Maybe I'm just not clear on what Ron considers "over dressing". I've always felt that if people want to dress formally they should have that option.

Mura