New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

You take me in DRESS JEANS...no rips and tears and you know Joe dresses to a tee. You personally know how much we LOVE CLOTHES...but we DO NOT LIKE TO PLAY DRESS UP. Joe wears his "old man pants" on the ship and I don't wear jeans except on the first night when I have traveled a lot. You take us as we are and most of the people on this board would. We are not extreme, but CLASSY!!

Good grief! Once one sits down, who sees what one is wearing on their legs!!! Not opposed to jeans. What I don't like is ripped torn tee shirts, clothes that smell like moth balls.

Jeans are the new chinos. We're from Cali and most anywhere we go, people in jeans are accepted (including at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion and the SF Opera house).

Would you prefer to see Safari shirts with zip off pants and hiking boots or jeans paired with a sweater or a blouse/shirt in the GDR and the specialty restos?

We don't worry about what people wear at all provided they dress neatly but do not like the appearance of a huge fat person with their stomach hanging out from under their shirt,

Perhaps instead off banning jeans we should ban people with poor taste .

Karl

Good grief! Once one sits down, who sees what one is wearing on their legs!!! Not opposed to jeans. What I don't like is ripped torn tee shirts, clothes that smell like moth balls.

Jeans are the new chinos. We're from Cali and most anywhere we go, people in jeans are accepted (including at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion and the SF Opera house).

Would you prefer to see Safari shirts with zip off pants and hiking boots or jeans paired with a sweater or a blouse/shirt in the GDR and the specialty restos?

Hey, vaitape! I'm not an opera fan, but if jeans are now worn in opera houses, then it's time for cruise ships to change their ways!

If the zip-off pants are cargo-style pants, I say, yuck. My favourite bugaboo (unfavourite?) is cargo shorts on men. Add sports sandals with socks and they win the trifecta.

Hey, vaitape! I'm not an opera fan, but if jeans are now worn in opera houses, then it's time for cruise ships to change their ways!

If the zip-off pants are cargo-style pants, I say, yuck. My favourite bugaboo (unfavourite?) is cargo shorts on men. Add sports sandals with socks and they win the trifecta.

We have a winner :D

We don't worry about what people wear at all provided they dress neatly but do not like the appearance of a huge fat person with their stomach hanging out from under their shirt,

Perhaps instead off banning jeans we should ban people with poor taste .

Karl

Hey in Japan they would be heroes......SUMO.

Why do so many people worry about what others do or what they look like. It is all just a throwback to the days of Titanic where there were different classes and dress codes which was then continued by the British Cruise Lines, Cunard and P & O.

We just get on with our lives.....t'is the people that count not what they look like.

Brian

Hey in Japan they would be heroes......SUMO.

Why do so many people worry about what others do or what they look like. It is all just a throwback to the days of Titanic where there were different classes and dress codes which was then continued by the British Cruise Lines, Cunard and P & O.

We just get on with our lives.....t'is the people that count not what they look like.

Brian

On more than one Celebrity cruise, I have seen passengers arrive in the buffet in the early morning in their bathrobes, and "bed hair", clearly not freshly showered. Just found it kind of "yucky". and totally inappropriate. But, you can bet they said "Im in a suite and paid all this money, blah blah blah"

It's the effort to be clean, and "put-togther".

Earlier in this thread, I commented on a fellow Oceania pax wearing farmer denim overalls, and workboots. Did it have any real effect on my trip, of course not. One of his traveling companions was as casually dressed in her farm clothes. John Deere tee shirt, older work jeans, and boots. They just didn't look freshly "tubbed and scrubbed." Looked sloppy and kind of dirty.

But I'm sure they said they "paid a lot of money" for their cruise, why should they have to clean up a little.

Edited by kimanjo

On more than one Celebrity cruise, I have seen passengers arrive in the buffet in the early morning in their bathrobes, and "bed hair", clearly not freshly showered.

Do you mean that everyone has to have their morning shower before they go to breakfast? I sure hope not. In fact, some days on a cruise ship I don't have a shower in the morning at all, but before dinner.

...Would you prefer to see Safari shirts with zip off pants and hiking boots...

Yet, according to the established dress code, those are perfectly acceptable -- Safari shirts generally have collars, zip-off pants can be worn long and hiking boots are generally closed-toe and leather, not athletic shoes or flip-flops. Moreover, many such outfits cost more than dress togs, and I've seen some folks who look very dashing in such an outfit.

Many folks on this forum also have a preference for Celebrity, where jeans are acceptable garb in the main dining room on non-formal nights: "Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves."

No mention of jeans, collared shirts or footwear. One can debate whether a "sports shirt" includes tees; thus jeans, tee and sneakers would be acceptable. I've seen all three often on my limited number of Celebrity cruises.

That got me wound up -- here are some others. On Seabourn, jeans are apparently acceptable in the evenings in much of the ship, most of the time:

After 6:00 p.m., suggested attire for all venues on board will be one of the following:

• Resort Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men; sundress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant. The inference is they would be acceptable anywhere else on the ship.
  • Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days. Formal Optional attire includes a tuxedo or dark suit with tie for men, cocktail dress or other formal apparel for women. On Formal Optional evenings, we request no jeans in any of the lounges or dining venues. Note the use of "request"

It's easier to summarize Crystal as the instructions are rather long. It boils down to 3 codes, formal, informal and casual evening, In the first two, jeans are specifically mentioned as not acceptable. However, there is no reference to jeans on casual evenings, so one can deduce they are acceptable by the absence of a reference. Crystal has made specific reference to a relaxation of the code as following the general trends.

Similarly, Silver Sea has 3 levels. Reference is made to slacks, with no definition of same, and no mention of jeans is made in any category. One could infer that dressy jeans are considered slacks, and it would be appropriate to wear them in casual, or in informal when worn with a jacket. If they meant to exclude them, they would be mentioned.

Interestingly, if you want to avoid jeans in the dining room at least some of the time, consider Carnival. While jeans are permitted during casual evenings, "Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

I could go on, but based on these, it would seem the only way to completely avoid jeans in a dining room on any evening is to cruise Cunard.

For me, I dress the way I like to dress based on my own definitions of acceptable attire. In the evening, I always wear dressy slacks, rarely wear polo shirts on Oceania and occasionally wear a sport coat. I have adopted closed toe leather sandals without socks, which I consider reasonably elegant, primarily to reduce packing to carry-ons. But, I do that for myself, not for anyone else, and I don't give a rat's patootie what anyone else wears as long as they are not dirty or slovenly or obscene.

I am so lost! This is a "new" dress code for Oceania? Can anyone post the official dress code?

Thanks much.

I've posted it twice on this thread, but since you asked I'll post it again below.

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

I could go on, but based on these, it would seem the only way to completely avoid jeans in a dining room on any evening is to cruise Cunard.

I have adopted closed toe leather sandals without socks, which I consider reasonably elegant, primarily to reduce packing to carry-ons.

Had to laugh about leather closed toe sandals without socks. Could you teach that to my DH?

Also wanted to add that you will not see jeans in a dining room on Regent or Silversea.

P.S. He doesn't wear sandals with socks in the evening.:D

Well, not quite... :eek:

On a crossing to New York, on QM2 the singer Lenny Kravitz had a table next to us in QG. On one formal night he wore "designer-type" black jeans with a beautifully tailored jacket and cowboy boots!!!

He looked fantastic.... and made the rest of us seem a wee bit dowdy in comparison!!

Only someone like him could pull it off...

The man was charming.

Actually, I don't even understand the appeal of jeans during the day. Jeans are the bulkiest pants in most people's closet. They're thicker than most women's slacks and thicker than a pair of chinos for men. On the basis of packing efficiently, I don't understand why some one would want to take up extra space packing a bulky garment. The thicker denim fabric is hotter when traveling in a warm climate and takes longer to dry for folks doing laundry on a longer-length trip.

For every reason possible, I can't comprehend why anyone would include a pair of jeans in his/her travel wardrobe.

Comfort.

Once, on a different line, while at breakfast in the dining room we saw a young man probably about 17, come strolling in wearing a fluffy white robe from the cabin and slippers, walk over and join his parents who were mid-meal at a table. Within minutes, a staff member appeared, had a discussion with the parents, and the three of them got up in a huff and left the dining room. I think the parents were miffed that their little darling was not welcome, whatever his attire. Certainly, a line crossed.

I agree with an earlier poster, it's about style and how you wear something. I have seen folks be perfectly lovely and well turned out with jeans as part of their attire, and I've seen people look a mess in a dress.

Comfort.

I wear jeans often. Today, running around doing chores, was one such day. But I'm no more comfortable wearing jeans than wearing slacks. Neither type has elastic inset in the waist band so there's no difference based on the fit of the waist. I can't distinguish a difference between jeans and based on the cut of the leg. My experience simply doesn't support your claim.

I'll agree there's a big difference between all-elastic waist sweats or soft cotton (or nylon) knit athletic pants. The legs are cut fuller than jeans -- especially considering the currently fashionable skinny-leg jeans styles. Sweats are clearly more comfortable, but that's not what is being discussed.

Ultimately, I wear jeans because I can clean them at home using my washer and dryer which is cheaper and more convenient than taking my slacks, both cotton and wool, to the dry cleaner.

If you truly feel jeans are more comfortable than slacks, we'll simply agree to disagree.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Had to laugh about leather closed toe sandals without socks. Could you teach that to my DH?

Also wanted to add that you will not see jeans in a dining room on Regent .:D

Maybe not on a cruise you have done - but they were wearing designer jeans on our last Regent Cruise in Compass Rose.

I have no problem with denim if it's accessorized for dress up. Not so much for hiking.

On one of my tours with Tauck a few years ago, we had a lovely single man on our tour. He had one pair of those travel cargo pants. He washed them sporadically on the two week tour. He wore them every day for two weeks. I would rather see people dress in jeans that look clean and are put together than the cargo pants with stains.

We have friends that don't get that i need two full suitcases for a two week trip. More important to me is having clean clothes. Travel is germy and often dirty with loads of people coming and going.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.