New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

Well, I think jeans are OK as long as they look good. I've seen guy's wear cheap slacks that look really really bad. So Dockers or Jeans, what the difference really. PS, jeans are OK in some of the best restaurants around. Times have changed, so get with it.

Rick

I judge people by how they act, not by what they ware. What people ware has no effect on how I enjoy my vacation. We follow the guidelines of the cruise line as best as we can, however if the dress police want to inspect and comment on us I suggest they first pay for our ticket!

On line, AG Jeans are between $160 and $200. No one said anything about money. It is the style. No one said baggy, torn or faded dungarees or denim. No one mentioned money.

For years I have seen many people on cruises with black jeans! Jeans are jeans.

Just saying--this is the new style.

Not saying that we do it but saying that I can't imagine it ruining my dinner! I am usually enjoying my husband or whomever we are seated with.

On line, AG Jeans are between $160 and $200. No one said anything about money. It is the style. No one said baggy, torn or faded dungarees or denim. No one mentioned money.

For years I have seen many people on cruises with black jeans! Jeans are jeans.

Just saying--this is the new style.

Not saying that we do it but saying that I can't imagine it ruining my dinner! I am usually enjoying my husband or whomever we are seated with.

Exactly! :D

I'm always fascinated by these "dress code" threads when they arise. It amazes me how emotional people can get about what someone else chooses to wear. We cruised Celebrity earlier this year and saw the same discussions regarding their formal evenings (what is formal, is a tie needed, can my kids get by wearing shorts, etc.).

I personally do not care what people wear to dinner, as long as it (and they) are clean and decently covered. I remember the 80+ lady in, for all intents and purposes, a bikini by the pool on our last O cruise, and a ~350 lb. man in a speedo with no shirt - NOT pretty sights:eek:. The lady was lovely despite her sad choice of a bathing suit (I didn't have the opportunity to talk to the man). These examples just show taste is very different among different people.

People are people. Most of us want to "fit in" so we conform. A few want to "stand out" so they do not. Clothing is one of the easiest ways to be noticed, as verified by the comments on this thread.

Hi Everyone........

Going to tell you a little story.

This came about the year of 2009 or 2010 (can't really remember the year) when Sammie Kay and my cousin Jan were doing the ten day Caribbean...It was Jan's 5th cruise on Oceania and my 10th.

We always treated ourselves to a CABANA which we enjoyed so much, and being waited on by the Cabana Waiter. One day we decided we wanted to have lunch in the Terrace. We both put on our cover ups and headed to the Cafe.

As we entered the Head Waiter or Manager (do not remember) stopped me and said my cover up was too short. It was about 3 or 4 inches above my knee. My feelings were hurt as I thought always I was always well dressed...We both turned around and went back to the Cabana and ordered lunch from our Waiter. By the way my top was made of linen(black) and Jan had a long MU MU on....... Sammie Kay

One of the things that set Oceania apart when we first sailed with her was Resort Casual. Every other line had two formal nights per seven nights. The formal wear crowded our luggage, and made packing a challenge. On Oceania vessels, packing stopped being a chore. Our last Riviera cruise was in March of this year. The only jeans I noticed were in the Terrace. No overalls anywhere.

I judge people by how they act, not by what they ware. What people ware has no effect on how I enjoy my vacation. We follow the guidelines of the cruise line as best as we can, however if the dress police want to inspect and comment on us I suggest they first pay for our ticket!

I'm always fascinated by these "dress code" threads when they arise. It amazes me how emotional people can get about what someone else chooses to wear. We cruised Celebrity earlier this year and saw the same discussions regarding their formal evenings (what is formal, is a tie needed, can my kids get by wearing shorts, etc.).

I personally do not care what people wear to dinner, as long as it (and they) are clean and decently covered. I remember the 80+ lady in, for all intents and purposes, a bikini by the pool on our last O cruise, and a ~350 lb. man in a speedo with no shirt - NOT pretty sights:eek:. The lady was lovely despite her sad choice of a bathing suit (I didn't have the opportunity to talk to the man). These examples just show taste is very different among different people.

People are people. Most of us want to "fit in" so we conform. A few want to "stand out" so they do not. Clothing is one of the easiest ways to be noticed, as verified by the comments on this thread.

Hear hear to both of these posts, and others who are the voices of reason. No one is going to wear bib overalls with a straw sticking out of their mouth on these cruises.

As I said, I just wish I could fit into my designer jeans!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

But who decides which designer jeans are acceptable

http://www.agjeans.com/the-remi-ankle-black-stud-tuxedo/d/8308

http://www.agjeans.com/the-beau-15-yearsthrasher/d/8137

http://www.agjeans.com/the-ballad-pulse/d/8025_c_12

This just in: Consistent with the new dress code, the Oceania dining rooms are being renamed "Jack's," "Little Italy," "Chopsticks," the "Chuckwagon BBQ," "Up on the Roof," and the "Good Grub Place."

Edited by JPR

This just in: Consistent with the new dress code, the Oceania dining rooms are being renamed "Jack's," "Little Italy," "Chopsticks," the "Chuckwagon BBQ," "Up on the Roof," and the "Good Grub Place."

But wait - now I m confused. Which one is which ? :D:D:D

if I was still 25 I would LOVE to fit into these jeans!!! But I'm not...and I have never worn jeans...only because I could never find a pair that fit me...too small waist...vs...larger hips! ...OK maybe too much info... :) But...as long as our fellow passengers ... are fun, happy and friendly...I'm just happy to be sailing on O ...and meeting them!!!! LuAnn

Love them

Now if only Polo was as good as a Chuckwagon BBQ :D

How hard is it to throw a pair of slacks on and tuck in the shirt? I HATE formal nights on the mass market lines, but like everyone said - there IS a fine line here. We usually just wear slacks and a polo shirt and a sport coat. Super easy and takes about 1 minute. I don't understand why some people feel like they are exempt. Dinner on O is a "special" thing. You aren't at home eating in front of the television. And everyone paid (a lot of) money for this experience. The overalls and yellow work boots are too much. I'll say, designer jeans could pass if done right, but even that would be off our radar.

A pair of nice slacks and don't tuck in the nice sport shirt. I am O.K. with that since that is how I like to dress. :)

I was thinking about this today whilst daydreaming on a conference call... Let's all really think about the argument in hand given all the problems in the world and immediately put it back into perspective. This is pretty petty stuff overall. What I wear is for ME and for my wanting to look my best and I enjoy that. Some don't. Aside from gross underdressing, I guess it really doesn't matter nor detract. I'd say ripped jeans, etc. are a no-no. Just out of respect. I don't even remember what I wore to dinner most nights let alone others. I guess everyone has a different "level" of dressing up. My last post on this was hasty and not very thoughtful. I just hope people adhere to good taste for the most part as we really treasure our nights on these ships. Fair enough?

Sounds great! Can't wait to try 'em out next spring on Nautica! We'll wear our best jeans! ;)

This is all much ado about nothing IMO.

Why are folks so fixated on what other people are wearing?

It's not what you wear -- but how you wear it.

I'd rather see people be stylish than be constrained by a dress code that really is unimportant in the larger scheme of things. Folks on Oceania are not going to be slobs -- that's not the demographic. And I have seen passengers look "better" in high end jeans than in frumpy outfits that comply strictly with the dress code.

I vote for "live and let live."

This is all much ado about nothing IMO.

Why are folks so fixated on what other people are wearing?

It's not what you wear -- but how you wear it.

I'd rather see people be stylish than be constrained by a dress code that really is unimportant in the larger scheme of things. Folks on Oceania are not going to be slobs -- that's not the demographic. And I have seen passengers look "better" in high end jeans than in frumpy outfits that comply strictly with the dress code.

I vote for "live and let live."

I could not have said this better. Lets have fun and have a great cruise.

I could not have said this better. Lets have fun and have a great cruise.

Amen. Our experiences are NOT dependent on others. It's what you make of it, and that is true of ALL travel experiences. You wonder why so many negative folks? Travel CAN be challenging. That's the point. Stretch your limits. However overalls would certainly be a weird choice to dinner on O, right?! :)