New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

Travelcat, I'm certainly not going to flame you.

I'm just questioning why you thought Terrace was an upscale coffee shop. Which ship were you on? I'm just curious. We have enjoyed dinners in Terrace on all ships, although there is no question that Terrace on Marina in Oct 2011 was far superior to Terrace on the "R" ships. I'm awaiting the "R" ship upgrades.

Then again, I'm wondering about Ronrick's comment about people "overdressing".

On our first Renaissance cruise (Oct 1999) we saw a group of 6 who were dressed formally. Why not? I thought it was charming!

Maybe I'm just not clear on what Ron considers "over dressing". I've always felt that if people want to dress formally they should have that option.

Mura

We were on the Riviera -- it was our first Oceania cruise. The ship is no doubt the most beautiful ship at sea. Every detail on the ship is amazing. The Terrace Café was fine -- not great but certainly not bad. The way the passengers and staff were dressed reminded me of a nice coffee shop. People wearing jeans or shorts seemed to fit in just fine. On the other hand, I can not imagine someone wearing shorts or sloppy jeans in Jacques, Polo, etc.

I cannot imagine what the problem would be with over dressing. We have noticed that European passengers seem to dress up a bit more than other passengers. They may look a bit formal but certainly not out of place.

What I truly cannot understand is what the big deal is about having a dress code that simply asks men to wear long pants and a button down shirt and women wearing pants, a blouse or a dress or skirt, etc. Why is this such a big deal? Everyone loves Oceania's magnificent ships but feel it is alright to show up looking like they are going to a picnic in their backyard.

We were on the Riviera -- it was our first Oceania cruise. The ship is no doubt the most beautiful ship at sea. Every detail on the ship is amazing. The Terrace Café was fine -- not great but certainly not bad. The way the passengers and staff were dressed reminded me of a nice coffee shop. People wearing jeans or shorts seemed to fit in just fine. On the other hand, I can not imagine someone wearing shorts or sloppy jeans in Jacques, Polo, etc.

I cannot imagine what the problem would be with over dressing. We have noticed that European passengers seem to dress up a bit more than other passengers. They may look a bit formal but certainly not out of place.

What I truly cannot understand is what the big deal is about having a dress code that simply asks men to wear long pants and a button down shirt and women wearing pants, a blouse or a dress or skirt, etc. Why is this such a big deal? Everyone loves Oceania's magnificent ships but feel it is alright to show up looking like they are going to a picnic in their backyard.

I agree totally with you, jeans are not a good look for most people for the reasons you mentioned - and I was trying very hard to stay out of this "debate" but your last sentence enticed me back in - it has got to be the most sensible and true statement in this whole thread and sums it up perfectly!

For us the Terrace Cafe didn't appeal at all for dinner on Regatta, mainly due to the unexpectedly bad behaviour of some passengers on the odd time we went for breakfast that we just could not be bothered to be pushed and shoved at dinner as well! But that's another discussion!

We never saw anyone not well dressed, and by that I mean nicely turned out, in any of the SRs.

We are still waiting for the answer from "the boss" as my cruise docs we received in the last couple of weeks, quite clearly states and I quote

"Shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill and Toscana."

I'm sure O does not wish to be perceived as the "clothes police" but if they make this sort of printed statement under their "Dress Onboard" in their cruise documents brochure, and this contradicts other information on their website, then they really do need to clarify the situation once and for all.

I'm also surprised no-one has mentioned baseball caps!;)

Travelcat2

Some people that think they dress over the top or over dress---take a look next time, they have missed the mark and don't look that good in the way they dressed. In other words, they just didn't but it together. Why wear a jacket if it's 2 or 3 sizes to small, or a cocktail dress that's doesn't fit right, or a dark suit with white socks (unless medical reasons). Sorry but some people just look good in jeans and jeans are OK in some very, very good places in most cities today.

Rick

How can you determine whether jeans are acceptable by whether they are a good look for someone? Does that mean if you look great in jeans they are acceptable?

If it were possible to do that for yourself, the terms muffin top, camel toe and plumber's crack would not be in our lexicon.....

.....I dare not post a photograph! :p

if it were possible to do that for yourself, the terms muffin top, camel toe and plumber's crack would not be in our lexicon.....

.....i dare not post a photograph! :p

rotflmao... :D

Edited by ipoh
capitalization

We are still waiting for the answer from "the boss" as my cruise docs we received in the last couple of weeks, quite clearly states and I quote

"Shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill and Toscana."

I would go with the cruise document information

The website is sometimes slow to get updated on those details

Wripro

How can you determine whether jeans are acceptable by whether they are a good look for someone? Does that mean if you look great in jeans they are acceptable.

So if some that's over 60 trying to look like they are 20 something- that's acceptable just because it's part of the dress code---Don't think so..........

And yes jeans can be acceptable when it's in good taste-----I think people need to lighten up a bit, enjoy the cruise and don't worry what someone else is wearing.

Rick

it appears from the posts that Jeans seem to be more acceptable ANYWHERE on the West coast :rolleyes:

Not the whole world agrees

If the cruise lines states NO JEANS then it does not really matter what colour, price, condition or price

They are not acceptable in the dining rooms ....end of discussion

it appears from the posts that Jeans seem to be more acceptable ANYWHERE on the West coast :rolleyes:

Not the whole world agrees

If the cruise lines states NO JEANS then it does not really matter what colour, price, condition or price

They are not acceptable in the dining rooms ....end of discussion

The problem is that it can't be the end of the discussion until Oceania clarifies its position - cruise docs say one thing, website another!

But this is all academic if the "rules" change again when on board ship!

Agree with the last two posts. Jeans are acceptable just about anywhere on the West Coast of the U.S. However, most of us understand that this is not the case in the rest of the world. If the policy says "no jeans" -- that is what needs to be respected. In this case, it sounds like Oceania needs to be clear or what is acceptable and what is not.

This is the 21st century. Jeans (albeit respectable looking) are fashionable everywhere around the US in restaurants (and abroad as well with perhaps the exception of Michelen rated ones and on board Cunard and Crystal) no matter how many stars they may claim to have. Most are thrilled to feed you and take your money for the privilege of dining there if you're so inclined. Most people use their head when it comes to appropriateness and then again there is a smaller percentage of those who do not. There are some here who are letting that small group take up a lot of space in there head. I also take exception to a couple of comments with regard to the Terrace dining area on the R ships being compared to a coffee shop. I bet "the boss" who has been referred to here a number would take exception to that as well. Many of us have enjoyed many a memorable meal there. I know my husband and I have and look forward to many more. I sure hope that "the boss" won't be standing at the entrance to the MDR or speciality restaurants looking to enforce the wishes of a few self-proclaimed fashion police. I doubt that he will. In Oceania's own words - "Oceania Cruises - your world your way.". It's time to end this discussion and think about your next wonderful adventure on

Oceania. Amen

This is the 21st century. Jeans (albeit respectable looking) are fashionable everywhere around the US in restaurants (and abroad as well with perhaps the exception of Michelen rated ones and on board Cunard and Crystal) no matter how many stars they may claim to have. Most are thrilled to feed you and take your money for the privilege of dining there if you're so inclined. Most people use their head when it comes to appropriateness and then again there is a smaller percentage of those who do not. There are some here who are letting that small group take up a lot of space in there head. I also take exception to a couple of comments with regard to the Terrace dining area on the R ships being compared to a coffee shop. I bet "the boss" who has been referred to here a number would take exception to that as well. Many of us have enjoyed many a memorable meal there. I know my husband and I have and look forward to many more. I sure hope that "the boss" won't be standing at the entrance to the MDR or speciality restaurants looking to enforce the wishes of a few self-proclaimed fashion police. I doubt that he will. In Oceania's own words - "Oceania Cruises - your world your way.". It's time to end this discussion and think about your next wonderful adventure on

Oceania. Amen

Well said..AMEN

Oceania. Amen

With the greatest of respect, I would just like to pick up again on what is printed in the cruise documents brochure, received by us only a matter of days ago and it states quite clearly NO jeans etc. as in my previous post.

Now I have also said I could care less what people wear, but if someone receives this, is not reading cruise critic (as I imagine the majority of cruisers don't!), then what are they to think when they see people heading into the GDR or any SR in jeans? People do like to know what the "dress code" is and most, when they know, go by it. And as you say, there will of course always be the odd one or two who will object to any dress code.

I don't really think it is a case of O being the "fashion-police", but them being fair and transparent to all who cruise on O. As it stands at the moment there would appear to be two policies, both are in print (in the brochure and on the website) stating different things.

Lots of people here in the UK wear jeans in all sorts of social situations that would have been thought totally inappropriate not so long ago! And it's not all the younger generation either! :)

I do not for one minute think O is trying to be the fashion police, but rather that a few individuals are trying to pull O (by going to "the boss") into this beating a dead horse discussion. I doubt for one minute that other people will be baffled as to how to dress on O. Most of us are grown up enough to know how to read the lines request for dress code and invariably will interpret it as we see fit. We've been dressing ourselves for years, and many of us have been on numerous cruises with different lines. We know what to do. And if we don't, well it will be addressed by those who have the power to say something to us politely. Meanwhile, we should all enjoy our respective cruises and be grateful we have such good fortune to take such wonderful trips. At least that's how I feel. One more thing - I'm over 50, and my husband thinks I look great in my jeans. Again, amen

JMO

If they say "we request jeans not be worn" is saying they really do not want to see them in the dining venues for dinner

If they say "Jeans are NOT permitted "

that seems pretty clear to me

YMMD

I would go with the cruise document information

The website is sometimes slow to get updated on those details

With the greatest of respect, I would just like to pick up again on what is printed in the cruise documents brochure, received by us only a matter of days ago and it states quite clearly NO jeans etc. as in my previous post.

Now I have also said I could care less what people wear, but if someone receives this, is not reading cruise critic (as I imagine the majority of cruisers don't!), then what are they to think when they see people heading into the GDR or any SR in jeans? People do like to know what the "dress code" is and most, when they know, go by it. And as you say, there will of course always be the odd one or two who will object to any dress code.

I don't really think it is a case of O being the "fashion-police", but them being fair and transparent to all who cruise on O. As it stands at the moment there would appear to be two policies, both are in print (in the brochure and on the website) stating different things.

Lots of people here in the UK wear jeans in all sorts of social situations that would have been thought totally inappropriate not so long ago! And it's not all the younger generation either! :)

It is most likely that the website was changed after our documents were formatted and printed. I've had mine about a month. Some on our Roll Call were talking about receiving the docs around Sept 9th or so.

I absolutely agree with your point about many not looking at the website. I feel most won't wear jeans at dinner in the GDR or Specialties.

I've just gone through our cruise brochure twice and couldn't find any reference to attire in the dining rooms. Probably due to my failing eye sight ...

Still, I won't wear jeans to the restaurants! If I could still fit into my Mickey Mouse decorated jeans I might be tempted ...

Mura

Agreed. Enough already. Designer jeans with a great top or jacket or Chico's - no contest. I love jeans but my black pants or skirt with the same great top or jacket works. I don't really care what anyone wears as long as they look presentable. I would never wear jeans on a cruise for dinner but I love clothes and do not travel with a carry on only!!

... I would never wear jeans on a cruise for dinner but I love clothes and do not travel with a carry on only!!

We do travel with just carry ons, and therefore do not bring jeans. They are just too bulky.

sent from Galaxy Note 8