Chops Grille- disappointed again!

Host Dan

I just disembarked Freedom of the Seas yesterday. We ate at Chops Grille and ordered the petite filet mignon. Looked great, temperature perfect, but could not cut through it! Sinewy and so very tough. Sent it back and the replacement was just as bad. I was onboard in July and had the same experience, but chalked it up as a fluke. Now I'm wondering if RCCL has replaced the product with an inferior cut. Too bad... :(

Host Dan

We were very disappointed on the Legend last week. I ordered the Petite Filet Mignon and had to send it back because it came medium rare rather than medium. When it came back I just did not like the taste and could not eat it. My Husband ordered the Porterhouse and said it was verging on tough and did not enjoy it at all. We had intended to visit twice during the cruise but did not bother to go again.

I was on the Allure last week and my filet at Chop's was one of the best I've eaten!

Maybe the Freedom received a bad shipment of meet. :confused:

May be different grades of meat depending on the class of ship? hmm..

Host Dan

I just disembarked Freedom of the Seas yesterday. We ate at Chops Grille and ordered the petite filet mignon. Looked great, temperature perfect, but could not cut through it! Sinewy and so very tough. Sent it back and the replacement was just as bad. I was onboard in July and had the same experience, but chalked it up as a fluke. Now I'm wondering if RCCL has replaced the product with an inferior cut. Too bad... :(

Host Dan

I was at Chops on Freedom Sept 23, 2013 I ordered the Large and DW ordered ordered the petite filet mignon. You could cut both with the fork!

We also tried Chops Grille on the Freedom some years ago, having suffered

bad food and terrible service. Thought it was a fluke, so we tried it again

the next time we were aboard. Same thing.

That was the last time we went to Chops, but have always had good

service and food at Portofinos. Go figure.

I have eaten at Chops on Allure, Oasis, Freedom and Liberty and it has been very good every time. I eat at steakhouses in NYC pretty often, in fact this past Saturday I ate at The Strip House. Dinner for 4 with wine, dessert and tip was well over $600. I thought the steak was good but not great. In fact I even commented that Chops was better!

I like Portofino too but I am not a huge fan of Giovanni's Table.

May be different grades of meat depending on the class of ship?

For those with comments, good or bad, about Chops, can you also include how done the steak was (rare, medium, etc) that you tasted? Not necessarily how you ordered it, but how it was on the plate when you tried it.

For those with comments, good or bad, about Chops, can you also include how done the steak was (rare, medium, etc) that you tasted? Not necessarily how you ordered it, but how it was on the plate when you tried it.

Medium rare...

Host Dan

I have also had the same experience as the OP. I've had a couple cuts of Filet from Chops that I really didn't believe it was a filet. Very tough, and strange texture.

I always order mine "Blue". Which should be cold center, lightly cooked outside.

They usually deliver it burnt on the outside and medium rare on the inside even though I tell them just pull it out of the fridge, touch it to the grill and send it out.:rolleyes:

Host Dan

I keep reading these experiences on CC, so I was very apprehensive when I made reservations on the Oasis last month.

They were out of the petite filet, so I was forced to order the large one. Medium rare.

It was one of the best, tenderest, most flavorful steaks I have ever had.

We've never had bad filets at Chops, but each time we've eaten there we both kind of thought the petite filets weren't very flavorful, even though they were tender and cooked correctly. DH says he thinks we are just spoiled as we kind of live in cow country and get excellent beef locally.

So...both of us have decided we prefer Portofino, though Chops has some great starters and sides. Haven't tried Giovanni's yet, but I think they are replacing Portofino with it....is that right?

Judy

I was also very disappointed in my steak at Chops, I ordered the Porterhouse medium rare.

It was light pink inside, but not soft and tender in any way. Instead it was tough and stringy.

That being said, the sides, dessert, service and basically everything else were very nice, and a clear cut above the MDR. (although they will charge you and extra $10/bottle if you have some mineral water instead of wine with dinner)

This was on the Oasis.

RC seems to have problems with meat selection for the specialty restaurants.

Think I've had Chops twice and Portofinos once, beef entrée each time and all were tough.

Oddly, each time I've ordered the "everyday" steak in the MDR, I've been satisfied - go figure.

We have eaten in Chops on Radiance, Serenade X2, Enchantment and Grandeur. All of my Petite Filets have been ordered Medium Rare, which they were. They were flavorful and very tender.

We have also ordered the Chops Filet in the MDR on Grandeur (2009), Serenade, Radiance and Grandeur (2013). They were all also very good, except for the latest one on Grandeur. It was good, but not very good.

Mary Anne

7PM, second day in... Last cruise 7PM, first night...

Host Dan

Dan, we were on this same cruise with you and we too had a terrible steak at Chops. Ordered medium and got, well, well done. Tough and could not eat. The waiter never asked how anything was. Seemed like a robot. She took order and was gone never to be seen again. Terrible experience.

So based on most saying they have been happy and some having a problem...it appears the lesson learned is...you can get a great meal most of the time, but a problem one once in a while.

Nothing really new there. It even happens in the finest restaurants - every kitchen can have a bad day. We once went to a 5-star steak place and had one of the worst dinners ever - despite going there 15+ times before and having some of the best dinners ever.

Our meal on the Freedom in Chops was just OK, my petite filet was very good, but my ladies Halibut was awful, service was no better than Outback steak house. Portifino , not to derail I know it was not on the thread, but we love it, even slightly better service.

From what I know, RC or any restaurant{exception might be a steak house that I cannot afford}, cannot really know what cut of meat or the quality of it until it is cooked. The quality of meat when ordered in bulk is well the luck of the draw, I have purchased bad filets from butcher shops I have trusted