Question re: changing C&A status during cruise

Hi,

I'm fairly new at these forums and I'm just wondering if you get the increased perks during the cruise tHat you cross from one level to the next, or do you have to wait until you go on another cruise after that?

you do not earn the additional points until you have completed the cruise.

Sorry,

Steve

Hi,

I'm fairly new at these forums and I'm just wondering if you get the increased perks during the cruise tHat you cross from one level to the next, or do you have to wait until you go on another cruise after that?

Other posters are correct that the points are earned upon completion of the cruise and status technically changes for the next cruise. However, there are reports of people being "moved up" if they cross the number of nights for the particular level during a cruise. In that case, they may have gotten some of the on-board perks (but not a retroactive discount). For instance, we were one point short of Platinum on our last cruise. On the second day, during our appointment with the LA to book the next cruise, we asked nicely if we might be considered Platinum as of that day. The LA put stickers on our seapasses indicating Platinum, and we received an invitation to the "top tier" event. These were small things, but we really appreciated them. And if she had said no, we would not have been put out about it. It probably depends on the LA on the particular ship and the other circumstances. And if we hadn't been booking our next cruise, we wouldn't have asked.

Other posters are correct that the points are earned upon completion of the cruise and status technically changes for the next cruise. However, there are reports of people being "moved up" if they cross the number of nights for the particular level during a cruise. In that case, they may have gotten some of the on-board perks (but not a retroactive discount). For instance, we were one point short of Platinum on our last cruise. On the second day, during our appointment with the LA to book the next cruise, we asked nicely if we might be considered Platinum as of that day. The LA put stickers on our seapasses indicating Platinum, and we received an invitation to the "top tier" event. These were small things, but we really appreciated them. And if she had said no, we would not have been put out about it. It probably depends on the LA on the particular ship and the other circumstances. And if we hadn't been booking our next cruise, we wouldn't have asked.

That was so nice! Sometimes just a small gesture makes a big impression.

Since C&A status is based on number of cruise nights, not number of cruises I am curious what explanation RCI gives for not changing status during a cruise.

It's completely a money thing, IMO. For instance, someone who was due to turn Diamond part way through their cruise would then be entitled to free drinks/specialty coffees in the Diamond Lounge as well as other perks, including the upgraded coupons, etc. RCI doesn't want to do that, thus we must wait until the cruise is completed and head office credits our C&A account. I think it's fair.

Since C&A status is based on number of cruise nights, not number of cruises I am curious what explanation RCI gives for not changing status during a cruise.

As others have stated, points are only earned at the completion of the cruise.

I do agree with the money aspect that Karen mentioned. I also think it is just typical RCI where they changed one part of a rule (moving to points earned per cruise day vs a point earned for the whole cruise) and not adjusting the other part of the rule and giving the point when it is actually earned.

Does that make sense? :confused: :)

Bill

What about people that qualify on the first cruise of a b2b? Shouldn't they get the next level, since the first cruise was completed?

Yes, all they have to do is see the LA, they will confirm the change in status and make appropriate changes on the second leg.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

The real reason??

The hamsters in the IT department are spinning their wheels as fast as they can, and it takes a while to add those two numbers (The number of points you have, and the number of points you are going to get)

The real reason is because it is based on "completed" cruises. If you are already on a cruise you have not completed it.

But I would guess that if you do a B2B, and after the first one you become the next tier, the LA would take care of you. All you have to do is ask.

What about people that qualify on the first cruise of a b2b? Shouldn't they get the next level, since the first cruise was completed?

entirely different circumstance as those points ARE added at the end so many people have had little to no issue getting the new status perks on the second leg.

cruise credits are not calculated daily but rather at the end of the cruise.

We are 2 points away from Emerald, we have a Jr. suite booked on the Allure next October. So we will actually be Emerald after the first night, I am really not concerned about moving up on the cruise the only difference between Platinum & Emerald is a welcome aboard gift. The following cruise will be the only one we will sail as Emerald I will book a suite so that the following cruise we will be Diamond. That is if the rules don't change! lol

We are 2 points away from Emerald, we have a Jr. suite booked on the Allure next October. So we will actually be Emerald after the first night, I am really not concerned about moving up on the cruise the only difference between Platinum & Emerald is a welcome aboard gift. The following cruise will be the only one we will sail as Emerald I will book a suite so that the following cruise we will be Diamond. That is if the rules don't change! lol

We turned Emerald a couple of days into our last cruise and didn't get any recondition of the change while on board.But we never asked. We turn Diamond a couple of days into our next cruise and again I don't expect them to change our level until the end of our cruise.

Archived