Is this too early in the season??

localady

I need the valued opinions of my CC friends in Canada and NE US. I am very interested in the Maasdam's repositioning from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal at the beginning of May 2014. The itinerary is amazing and includes ports that aren't available in later sailings. What is the beginning of May like? Is this just too early to really enjoy the cruise? I will say that we are okay with the cold but feet of snow might deter us. :)

Thanks in advance for any help and information you can provide!!

I need the valued opinions of my CC friends in Canada and NE US. I am very interested in the Maasdam's repositioning from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal at the beginning of May 2014. The itinerary is amazing and includes ports that aren't available in later sailings. What is the beginning of May like? Is this just too early to really enjoy the cruise? I will say that we are okay with the cold but feet of snow might deter us. :)

Thanks in advance for any help and information you can provide!!

The chances of snow are pretty slim. The last storm I remember on Victoria day weekend (late in May) was over 20 years ago. It was a freak one and it melted so fast your head would spin.

May can be a beautiful month - it really depends - it can be warm and beautiful and it can also be cool and rainy.

Since you don't mind the cool and only fear the snow - I think you will be very safe to do this. Keep your eye out for the late blooming tulips, the rhodos in bloom and all the beautiful flowers. My greatest regret for our P'dam cruise was that we would not be here for that month.:D

Flowering shrubs, trees, May can be very beautiful here:D

As anyone can tell you, weather is hard to predict. But, May is usually a wonderful time of the year. Although I am not on the east coast, I am in the snow belt of Ontario, and we rarely have snow on the ground in May. Mornings are usually cool, but afternoons can be warm and sunny, or rainy. Daylight hours are increasing, trees and plants are budding and birds are returning from the south.

The chances of snow are pretty slim. The last storm I remember on Victoria day weekend (late in May) was over 20 years ago. It was a freak one and it melted so fast your head would spin.

May can be a beautiful month - it really depends - it can be warm and beautiful and it can also be cool and rainy.

Since you don't mind the cool and only fear the snow - I think you will be very safe to do this. Keep your eye out for the late blooming tulips, the rhodos in bloom and all the beautiful flowers. My greatest regret for our P'dam cruise was that we would not be here for that month.:D

Flowering shrubs, trees, May can be very beautiful here:D

Jacqui-

You made my day!:D I am an avid horticulture buff and was hoping that there might be some blooming going on during that time. The itinerary itself is really super! It stops in ports like Trois-Rivieres and Saquenay. Neither of us have been to this part of Canada and like the added ports.

As anyone can tell you, weather is hard to predict. But, May is usually a wonderful time of the year. Although I am not on the east coast, I am in the snow belt of Ontario, and we rarely have snow on the ground in May. Mornings are usually cool, but afternoons can be warm and sunny, or rainy. Daylight hours are increasing, trees and plants are budding and birds are returning from the south.

It sounds delightful!

I love the longer days that May brings and they are even longer in Quebec as it's a wee bit farther north than California. :)

I'm not a fan of New England springs. April showers tend to bring---May showers, too. :( It can stay cold and damp here right up through the end of the month, although there certainly are some beautiful days, and we can even have a hot day here and there.

Our spring flowers are gorgeous, though. I love the flowering shrubs, coming to flower one right after the other.

I wish the repositioning itinerary was the same southbound as it is northbound, as I prefer the route north, but the weather south.

I am not certain of the dates of your cruise.

In 2004 we did a reposition cruise from the end of April until about May 9 or 10. We found that many shops were not open that early in the season in Bar Harbor and Halifax, Newport ....

The further north we got -- more rain. We stayed 4 days extra on Montreal and had lots of rain. But remember -- weather is unpredictable.

I'm not a fan of New England springs. April showers tend to bring---May showers, too. :( It can stay cold and damp here right up through the end of the month, although there certainly are some beautiful days, and we can even have a hot day here and there.

Our spring flowers are gorgeous, though. I love the flowering shrubs, coming to flower one right after the other.

I wish the repositioning itinerary was the same southbound as it is northbound, as I prefer the route north, but the weather south.

I hear ya Ruth! It sounds similar to the early Alaska season, you plan for rain and rejoice if it's sunny.

We may need to spend a few days in Fort Lauderdale to soak up some sun at the beginning of the trip :)

In addition to what others have said, snow is quite possible in the Cape Breton Highlands area of Nova Scotia in May.

The weather here in May can be a delight and it can be cold and rainy. There is no predicting what will happen.

I have taken the repositioning cruise southbound in the fall and if I were to do a a Canada/New England one again I would choose the fall cruise.

Having lived in Boston all my life, I find that too early to sail Canada/NE. Of course, no one can predict absulutely what the weather would be but DH and I have been reluctant all these years to book those cruises. Too early for US.

Okay a crucial question from an obvious West-Coaster.....can I get fresh Lobster in May????

That could be make or break part of the decision!!

Fresh lobster, live and kicking right out of the ocean, is available 12 months. We always can get the wonderful cold water Canada/NE lobsters. :) Lots of folks have fresh lobsters for Christmas celebrations and New Year's Eve. :)

Okay a crucial question from an obvious West-Coaster.....can I get fresh Lobster in May????

That could be make or break part of the decision!!

should be no issue Sher - depending upon the ports lobster season may be open and the lobster may have just been pulled off the boats by the fisherman:D Here, the lobster season is limited BUT fresh lobster is available year round:D

If your cruise coincides with Mother's day, you can even get steamed, fresh lobster dirt cheap in the grocery stores here:D

Throughout most of Eastern Canada, the tourist industry doesn't start to ramp up until the Victoria Day Weekend later in May (May 17-19 in 2014) or later. Just make sure that any shore excursions you are contemplating will be available before deciding.

Throughout most of Eastern Canada, the tourist industry doesn't start to ramp up until the Victoria Day Weekend later in May (May 17-19 in 2014) or later. Just make sure that any shore excursions you are contemplating will be available before deciding.

The cruise ends on the 17th of May in Montreal, so the beginning of that weekend.

Thanks for the heads up, I will also consider that too. Will check to see if rooms in Montreal that weekend would be prohibitive.

Thanks again for all the input! :)

We took this same cruise a couple years ago and, as someone else mentioned, I would do it again for sure. In fact, I'm hoping it will be in our future soon. It was warm -- very warm -- at the start of the cruise and, of course, cooled up as we headed north, then chilly -- very chilly -- by the end of the cruise, so choosing appropriate clothing, weather-wise, is a good idea.

I hear ya Ruth! It sounds similar to the early Alaska season, you plan for rain and rejoice if it's sunny.

We may need to spend a few days in Fort Lauderdale to soak up some sun at the beginning of the trip :)

I moved from that area (North East) to California because of the weather. I just don't trust weather there until late June and even then there can be a year of cool wet weather through early to mid July. I tend to travel to areas when the best possible weather is expected and usually don't have weather issues to far of the norm. You never know. Hope you have a great trip with what ever cruise you decide to take.

I want to thank everyone for their input. The itinerary was great, but I think we will wait to take that cruise during a time that is later in the year.

I know by March we will be hungering for warmth, so we are going to take our favorite cruise to the Mexican Riviera to celebrate DH's 70th. As DH is battling some health issues, the shorter flights, our familiarity and love for the itinerary, as well as the warm weather, were the deciding factors.

Thanks to you all for your input! You rock!! :D :D

Archived