Slow Disembark Port Everglades

aliaschief

Just disembarked MS Eurodam. Only two custom agents and that appears to be permanent as they have a sign apologizing for delays due to funding cut backs

Held us on ship due to congestion in terminal but it went fairly smoothly once we were allowed to disembark.

Just thought you should be aware of this and expect possible delays.

You are not alone. We had the same problem with c and i two weeks

ago. We were not able to get off the ship until 10:30am. We had three agents working and one took a break. They are working in a slow down

mode. Went thru the passport page by page and we both have extra pages in ours. Understand the Royal Princess didn't get clearance until 9:30 this morning. They dock around 04:00 am this morning. Something to consider when booking flights out of FLL.

It was worse in February. I was expecting it to be much worse. I didn't think it was too bad.

Same for us in late January where the wait was about two hours when six ships were in port. We were told there weren't enough agents to cover all the terminals and spent half the time in line on the Nieuw Amsterdam. There were only two agents also that day.

Welcome back!

Edited by kjw869

Thanks for the info Chief? What time were you finally through?

Thank heavens Maasdam is the only ship in port when we arrive next year - hopefully it won't be as badly backed up:confused::rolleyes:;)

Thanks for the info Chief? What time were you finally through?

Thank heavens Maasdam is the only ship in port when we arrive next year - hopefully it won't be as badly backed up:confused::rolleyes:;)

Even if there are only two Officials clearing Maasdam guests, there are fewer people they need to process than if it was a Signature or Vista Class ship.

Even if there are only two Officials clearing Maasdam guests, there are fewer people they need to process than if it was a Signature or Vista Class ship.

That's what I am counting on:D No issue for us - we leave much later but cruising companions have an earlier flight - so thinking about them;)

Wow. I was upset that our flight home wasn't until 2:30 p.m. Now I'm glad!!

That is the ideal time if you are leaving the same day IMO:) I'd rather wait at the airport than be stressed about catching a flight:D

Wow. I was upset that our flight home wasn't until 2:30 p.m. Now I'm glad!!

If it remains the same, you likely will not have that long a wait at the airport. Of course, processing the airport always depends how many ships are in with you that day.

We had pink 1 status but went to Pinnacle for breakfast. Came down the elevator and presumed we could walk off but were held 30 minutes and told "to much congestion and backup."

Not a big issue for us but others were pinging because of travel times. Cruise Director was frustrated with process.

I empathize, Chief, with what you experienced. Disembarking Celebrity Eclipse last February was the worst cruise experience I have had. I wonder if this is a Fort Lauderdale issue rather than a Federal agency nation-wide issue. Disembarking Eurodam in New York on September 12th, there were 16 Customs agents in the terminal processing passengers. It was quick, smooth, and easy!

That's one of the reasons I like luggage direct. We disembark right after those people doing their own luggage and it's faster through immigration since less people. However, we did only have 2 immigration officials and I heard there was a big back up and that was on Maasdam.

I empathize, Chief, with what you experienced. Disembarking Celebrity Eclipse last February was the worst cruise experience I have had. I wonder if this is a Fort Lauderdale issue rather than a Federal agency nation-wide issue. Disembarking Eurodam in New York on September 12th, there were 16 Customs agents in the terminal processing passengers. It was quick, smooth, and easy!

Princess board has been reporting bad backups at LA on some sailings recently, so it's not just Port Everglades.

Remember that ships are starting to arrive back in the US for the winter, so more ships equals each getting less agents. Also Royal Princess arrived in the US for the first time this morning so I wouldn't be surprised if some agents got diverted over to her to do her full inspection.