Not So Enchanting

lovelife

Following is my review of a recent Enchantment sailing.

ABOUT US

DH and I are a mature Diamond member couple. This cruise we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary with our 30th cruise (20th with RCCL). This cruise followed a week on Freedom of the Seas (review already submitted). We decided last minute since we would be in Port Canaveral we would book the second one.

I did not take my good Nikon so apologize in advance for the pretty poor photos I snapped with my point and shoot.

On our first Enchantment sailing a few years ago we found the ship to be quite disproportionate in passenger number to public spaces. When they did the stretch and inserted additional cabins, I guess they weren't concerned there would not be enough room in the public spaces for the additional pax. Most noticeable were the Windjammer and theater. Nothing has changed in that regard.

I do not relish writing anything unfavorable but must be honest about my particular experience. However......we were on a cruise and determined to celebrate and have a good time.

PRE-CRUISE

Upon debarkation from Freedom we grabbed a taxi to the Country Inn where we had reservations for the night. RCI no longer provides accommodations for back-to-back cruises with a day in between but the Country Inn was very reasonable. The taxi driver quoted between $10 and $12 to take us the .53 mile to the hotel. I'm not sure what route she took but she charged us $14.55!

It was only 9 am so we asked the hotel clerk if we could store our luggage there until check in. Surprisingly, and to our delight, they let us check into our room right then. The hotel is nothing special but it is clean and served the purpose.

10335828725_214c28d3c7_b.jpg

Separate Living Area

10336001073_e5189136a6_b.jpg

We first laundered our clothes from the first cruise in the facilities provided on each floor of the hotel. We swam in the lovely pool and used the hot tub which we had all to ourselves. How wonderful that was after the crowded pools on Freedom.

10335828056_467fedcdef_b.jpg

At dinner time we took the hotel clerk's advice and ate just down the street at Kelsey's. It was really good. Later we must have walked four miles but it certainly did us good after a week of stuffing ourselves on Freedom.

10335987353_c71dd07325_b.jpg

We watched a Disney ship sail out from our hotel entrance

10335802594_81260a7c12_b.jpg

We signed up for the first hotel shuttle the following morning at 10:30. It was $5 per person and a good service. They had overbooked, however, and two children had to sit on their parents' laps. Before long we were back at the cruise terminal for our second cruise.

First sight of Enchantment

10335983523_9c7eaf0840_b.jpg

Port Canaveral

10463021285_7b2171c9b2_b.jpg

We were directed to a line for suites and checked in within a few minutes. After about a 15 minute wait we headed to the ship.

Since sailing on Enchantment a few years ago out of Baltimore we were looking forward to the recent refurbishment. What I noticed:

An absolutely gorgeous new Centrum

10335812056_dbf6e69ccd_b.jpg

10335814096_4e764c61b0_b.jpg

Just gorgeous

10335766474_7e695c18cb_b.jpg

Beautiful Boleros

10335810096_c2f51c16e2_b.jpg

Nice, shiny railings

10462565916_ef439386e0_b.jpg

I myself didn't find her too enchanting. I went during Hurricane sandy. I did not like the food and I thought they were very stupid with our itinerary (passed CocoCay on Tuesday morning, 9am,Monarch Is tendering in, arrived at Nassau at 1pm, got to CocoCay on Wednesday, got cancelled). We may try Royal again, but you know. She got refurbished after I got back, so the new renovations look great! Enjoying the review.

CABIN

We also had a junior suite on this cruise and we had a pole room! I had read about these but had never seen one. Of course I immediately grabbed it and began to gyrate around it until DH reminded me of the number of people who must have been all over that pole. Ewwwwwwwwww.

10462925195_83d26f49c9_b.jpg

The Diamond welcome basket and drinks of choice were waiting in our cabin. The large bottle of Evian has been reduced to a small one. Coupons books were still used on this ship and we had match play coupons - yay.

10462924656_1dd8ab8b27_b.jpg

Small balcony for a junior suite

10462919514_6b2a23ae7d_b.jpg

10462915404_feec4c93fd_b.jpg

Unfortunately, those stupid, useless sinks have been installed on Enchantment. WHY??????????

10463109153_55869ab116_b.jpg

10463014114_618012a25c_b.jpg

This junior suite was not nearly as nice or as large as those on the Freedom or Voyager classes. This cabin was rather scruffy looking. The wood looked and felt like it had been sanded and left unfinished. There was no walk-in closet although there was plenty of storage. The bed was so hard I asked our excellent cabin attendant, Jeo, for a foam topper and he supplied it after approval from his supervisor. We tipped Jeo extra for the splendid job he did.

10463015854_ff4b0d669a_b.jpg

10463010395_dd07a3fd2b_b.jpg

Nasty looking wood

10463191963_eb9e9424f4_b.jpg

This device was on the counter but there was no information on its use so we asked the cabin attendant. He knew nothing about it. Later I asked Guest Services but they had no information on its use. Odd.

10463011705_892919413b_b.jpg

Guest accounts cannot be accessed on the cabin TV and you must go to Guest Services and get a printout.

We had two towel animals during this four-night cruise.

10462768834_24f057e646_b.jpg

10462705594_aa7772e872_b.jpg

A WARNING ABOUT THIS JUNIOR SUITE 8138: It is located below the Solarium. At all hours of the day and night carts were rolled across the floor and sounded like a herd of horses. I would never consider booking a cabin in this area again.

AROUND THE SHIP

Artwork

10335770905_f78738a043_b.jpg

Chops Grille - did not eat there

10335940563_afeb7a06e6_b.jpg

Solarium

10335749594_aa5d995579_b.jpg

10335770866_55f8076f6f_b.jpg

Park Cafe - Just didn't seem as good as on Oasis class ships

10335766095_3f0933177f_b.jpg

We checked out the small but nice Diamond Club which was above the Crown & Anchor Lounge. It felt hot up there to me. We talked to some folks -- one was Diamond and his two friends were on their first and second cruises. I guess he used his card and let them in without question from anyone. I don't know if he did this the entire cruise as I only went back for a few lattes late morning. I'm just not a wine/champagne drinker.

Diamond Club

10462752595_3cae631097_b.jpg

This device was on the counter but there was no information on its use so we asked the cabin attendant. He knew nothing about it. Later I asked Guest Services but they had no information on its use. Odd.

10463011705_892919413b_b.jpg

The "device you are wondering about is an IPad .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also had a junior suite on this cruise and we had a pole room! I had read about these but had never seen one. Of course I immediately grabbed it and began to gyrate around it until DH reminded me of the number of people who must have been all over that pole. Ewwwwwwwwww.

really.. just like you were doing. Ewwwwwwwwww.

I'll even bet the last folks in that room had sex in the bed. Among other places.

The "device you are wondering about is an IPad .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. Just thought it strange that no one knew anything about it.

Enjoying your Enchantment photo review! Looking forward to more.

Were IPads in all rooms?

Don't know if they were in all cabins or not.

This junior suite was not nearly as nice or as large as those on the Freedom or Voyager classes. This cabin was rather scruffy looking. The wood looked and felt like it had been sanded and left unfinished. There was no walk-in closet although there was plenty of storage. The bed was so hard I asked our excellent cabin attendant, Jeo, for a foam topper and he supplied it after approval from his supervisor. We tipped Jeo extra for the splendid job he did.

The Enchantment was built with lighter-finished wood than Freedom.

They are in the suites of the refurbished Vision class ships. We had one on the Splendour.

We had one in the RFS on Enchantment in May.

OP- You can order room service, use the RC website for free, check your account balance, reserve excursions, surf the internet and check email (for a charge).

It more than makes up for not having interactive TV..

really.. just like you were doing. Ewwwwwwwwww.

I'll even bet the last folks in that room had sex in the bed. Among other places.

Maybe not on the new sink, though. They're way less comfortable than the old ones...

We had one in the RFS on Enchantment in May.

OP- You can order room service, use the RC website for free, check your account balance, reserve excursions, surf the internet and check email (for a charge).

It more than makes up for not having interactive TV..

Since you were in a suite, did the iPad have the MDR menu for ordering or the normal room service menu?

Last I heard RCCL was planning on ultimately having an iPad in every cabin. The first time I encountered this was also on Enchantment in a Junior. This made me sad because I think Apple is Satan's representative in the computer world and I immediately fell in love with the stupid thing. sigh.

I'm waiting to hear what made this 4 day cruise so awful for you. So far, it sounds like you just don't like the smaller ships. I loved the Park Cafe on Enchantment. (Decent & I'm from Brooklyn) Bagel & cream cheese many mornings for breakfast and the ridiculously wonderful roast beef sandwich too many times.

Yes, my suite on the Enchantment had an iPad as well, however mine was currently set to Hebrew - so was basically worthless to me. I did spent a bit of time trying to figure out out to change the language settings, but as it was in Hebrew - I didn't have much luck. I had my own iPad with, so I didn't spend too much time on it.

Yes, I was in JS 8066 - and would never stay under the pool deck again. Not a very good cabin in you actually want to sleep.

Thanks for the review.

Subscribing to this, mostly for curiosity...

So far I've seen a ship with gorgeous public areas, great staff, but slightly worn rooms. Just waiting for the "not so" part...

:D

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Archived