AARP for those under 50 and NCL

cruisecritiquer

• 1 month later...
My husband just turned 49 1/2 so he is just about to join. However, when i tried to price out a cruise out online, it showed the AARP price was more than the Latitudes price and by a few hundred dollars.

So if you are a member then just tell your PCC and they will see which is the best discounted rate for you

I had the same issue on my cruise booked for next year. In this case, it wasn't a better price.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you try to apply the AARP discount to a reservation, will NCL require you to re-book the cruise, or can it just be added?

I think it may be glitch on the web site....if you just go ahead and click on the AARP button, it will put the lower price in...I noticed that it almost always says the AARP price is alot higher than the NCL price, but when you actually click the radio button for AARP amd then look at the prices, it is actually about 5% lower...sometimes its 10% less, but its always at least 5% less.

If you go to NCL site and click on "Specials" tab, it tells you about the AARP promos.

My husband just turned 50 and joined AARP. When we booked our cruise (by calling NCL) there were no AARP dicounts on the cruise we wanted when we booked.

When I checked prices a week or so later online, the discount was available.

So, this is one of those things that may come and go. Check your options and see what works best for you with each booking.

It is my understanding that an AARP 5% discount is always available on Norwegian Cruise Line. It's one of the advertised perks on AARP. It's in the little AARP book telling you of all the wonderful things they do! :D

Our last cruise on Breakaway was cheaper without the AARP discount by a few dollars, but that was through our favorite online TA.

but when you actually click the radio button for AARP amd then look at the prices, it is actually about 5% lower...sometimes its 10% less, but its always at least 5% less.

If you go to NCL site and click on "Specials" tab, it tells you about the AARP promos.

What is the radio button?

Hmmmm.....I see this originally was a thread started about a year ago, but how timely for me!!

I contacted AARP's "travel" folks, which goest through Expedia I believe. I got a price from them for a POA Hawaiian cruise for September 2015. The price they quoted me was hundreds less than anything I saw on NCL's website. I chatted with them, and they sent me a booking that is on hold until the end of this week. I've looked for and asked as many questions as I could think of, their lower cost seems "legit". Is there a "gotcha" that I may be missing? Their pricing also included $150 OBC.

And, just to muddy things more, I contacted Costco travel, their pricing is less than AARP/Expedia's.....

Edited by bar1068
added more content

How do you get the discount if you booked through an online TA?

Sorry this is a little late! You just ask for their AARP price for the cruise you want. But again, sometimes you can find a better price than using the 5% AARP discount.

This is from the AARP site: "AARP Members book an unforgettable vacation with Norwegian Cruise Line 9 months in advance of sailing and enjoy 5% off no matter which room you choose." Also says: "5% off Norwegian Sailings. Save 5% on select cruises. Use the offer code: AARP."

Seems like the word "select" is new, but have not been told it is unavailable by any online TA.

• 2 months later...

I am looking at Escape for 2016 and do not see any AARP pricing. Is this because it is a new ship and excluded or am I looking in the wrong place? If AARP pricing applies I will go get an AARP associate membership or whatever it is for people under 50, AARP Tot's Program. :D

I am looking at Escape for 2016 and do not see any AARP pricing. Is this because it is a new ship and excluded or am I looking in the wrong place? If AARP pricing applies I will go get an AARP associate membership or whatever it is for people under 50, AARP Tot's Program. :D

It worked for me, dropped the base price by $30 on the lowest category.

Did you put a checkmark in the little box (AARP) along the side of the page? Otherwise, just select the cruise and put it in when you're choosing your cabin.

AARP is not combinable with all promos though so you may have to make a choice.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by All-ready2cruise

It worked for me, dropped the base price by $30 on the lowest category.

Did you put a checkmark in the little box (AARP) along the side of the page? Otherwise, just select the cruise and put it in when you're choosing your cabin.

AARP is not combinable with all promos though so you may have to make a choice.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

Thank you. I thought AARP was able to combine with ALL promos. Maybe I misread that somewhere. Appreciate the information, will look at it again.

By the way, are you AARP "proper" or did you get a membership below age 50 for discounts?

Thank you. I thought AARP was able to combine with ALL promos. Maybe I misread that somewhere. Appreciate the information, will look at it again.

By the way, are you AARP "proper" or did you get a membership below age 50 for discounts?

I am, as you say, "proper" and Canadian, so not sure if that has an impact but when we booked our last cruise I had to make a choice on which promo would work better for us.

I would still try to book by combining codes if that's what works for you and contact NCL if it doesn't work to your advantage just in case there's a way they can combine the codes.

Cheers

that's good to know. Did you call to reprice it with the aarp discount. What's going to be funny is if they let me combine the kids sail free discount with the aarp discount when it comes up. ;) at that point if they don't allow both i'll just have to figure out which one is best.

better

• 1 year later...

I am resurrecting this thread to let others know that you can still use the "Under 50" AARP to receive a discount on your cruise. I did not know until very recently that people under age 50 could even sign up for AARP in the first place (DH and I are both in our 40's). Just yesterday I booked our 2017 cruise and with providing our AARP number we received roughly $200.00 off the total price. That's pretty good!

It is $16.00 per year if you just sign up for the AARP annual membership. We went ahead and signed up for the 5 years at a total cost of $63.00 (cheaper than if you just renew each year). So this membership has already more than paid for itself. If you are under age 50 you are considered "associate members" which I think means you don't get the full AARP membership benefits and services you would after age 50 (insurance discounts, etc.), but hey, just to even receive this discount with NCL is good enough for me and I will always try to get this discount on future cruises (the representative I spoke with mentioned they don't always offer the AARP discounts so I guess you would need to check each time you book a cruise)!

I booked over the phone with an NCL agent so I don't know the logistics of booking with this discount on the NCL website. Just putting this information out there for others who want to save some bucks!

Also, you can combine it your promos as we were able to get the UBP and still receive this AARP discount. It is only good with new bookings though so I don't think they will let you add it to an already existing reservation.

I am resurrecting this thread to let others know that you can still use the "Under 50" AARP to receive a discount on your cruise. I did not know until very recently that people under age 50 could even sign up for AARP in the first place (DH and I are both in our 40's). Just yesterday I booked our 2017 cruise and with providing our AARP number we received roughly $200.00 off the total price. That's pretty good!

It is $16.00 per year if you just sign up for the AARP annual membership. We went ahead and signed up for the 5 years at a total cost of $63.00 (cheaper than if you just renew each year). So this membership has already more than paid for itself. If you are under age 50 you are considered "associate members" which I think means you don't get the full AARP membership benefits and services you would after age 50 (insurance discounts, etc.), but hey, just to even receive this discount with NCL is good enough for me and I will always try to get this discount on future cruises (the representative I spoke with mentioned they don't always offer the AARP discounts so I guess you would need to check each time you book a cruise)!

I booked over the phone with an NCL agent so I don't know the logistics of booking with this discount on the NCL website. Just putting this information out there for others who want to save some bucks!

Also, you can combine it your promos as we were able to get the UBP and still receive this AARP discount. It is only good with new bookings though so I don't think they will let you add it to an already existing reservation.

It can be added. I just did this about 2 weeks back after joining AARP. Called my PCC and it was added to my existing reservations/discounts and even got $100 OBC that was being offered for my sailing.

My existing promos were below and you can see the AARP promo code:

PROMO CODES: AARP

AARPOBC

CHO34

DINEBEV

EASYFARE

LATBONUS

It can be added. I just did this about 2 weeks back after joining AARP.

Good to know. I was told by the NCL rep that handled my reservation that is was only good for new bookings and could not be added after the fact (I couldn't add it to my cruise this year that was already booked prior to my joining AARP). More conflicting information from NCL, but either way, others should look into it to try and get the discount.

Good to know. I was told by the NCL rep that handled my reservation that is was only good for new bookings and could not be added after the fact (I couldn't add it to my cruise this year that was already booked prior to my joining AARP). More conflicting information from NCL, but either way, others should look into it to try and get the discount.

The AARP benefit is only available provided the cruise is more than 9 months away.

Now, for a limited time, receive up to $100 off when you book select cruises. This offer is combinable with Norwegian's Free at Sea promotion below. Don't see the cruise you're looking for? Get up to 5% off all sailings when you book at least 9 months in advance. Simply look for the sailings denoted by the icon to get your savings.

Mike