Muster & Life Jackets

summersigh

Every line seems to have its own procedure. We sail the Westerdam in a month - sail away scheduled for 4pm.

What's time do ya'll figure Muster Drill will be AND do we have to appear with our life jackets in hand?

Stairs are rough for DH so we like to arrive on the deck level where we muster a few minutes before it's announced and they shut off the elevators.:)

Check the daily program for the time of the drill; it will be listed there. There will also be numerous announcements prior to, and at the time of, the muster. Figure the time for 3:15.

No, you do not bring your lifejackets to muster. It is a good idea, though, to locate them in the cabin, try them on to be sure you know how to don them, and check that they are in good condition.

The elevators are not shut down during muster. Able-bodied passengers should use the stairs, but those who have trouble with stairs are welcome to use the elevators.

If standing is a problem for your DH, he should arrive toward the later side of on time, vs. the early side. There is also a special muster area for those who can't stand, and don't use medical equipment that allows them to sit.

Life jackets should be left in your cabin. That policy changed several years ago. You may see a few people who don't listen to announcements or read the program that may show up with life jackets.

It is much safer without the life jackets, and people aren't in a hurry to run out of the drill, so they can remove them.

It is much safer without the life jackets, and people aren't in a hurry to run out of the drill, so they can remove them.

:) And easier to herd folks directly to the bars for sailaway if they don't have to go back to the cabin to deposit the life jacket!! :D

Typhoon, Bruce & Ruth ... thank you for your replies! They were exactly what we wanted to know!

Check the daily program for the time of the drill; it will be listed there. There will also be numerous announcements prior to, and at the time of, the muster. Figure the time for 3:15.

No, you do not bring your lifejackets to muster. It is a good idea, though, to locate them in the cabin, try them on to be sure you know how to don them, and check that they are in good condition.

The elevators are not shut down during muster. Able-bodied passengers should use the stairs, but those who have trouble with stairs are welcome to use the elevators.

If standing is a problem for your DH, he should arrive toward the later side of on time, vs. the early side. There is also a special muster area for those who can't stand, and don't use medical equipment that allows them to sit. [/quot

Thanks for the info Ruth. How do you get on the elevators with them "herding" you off???? How do I find out where the "sitting" muster area is. On Noordam 11/25. Thanks for your help. Linda

Thanks for the info Ruth. How do you get on the elevators with them "herding" you off???? How do I find out where the "sitting" muster area is. On Noordam 11/25. Thanks for your help. Linda

When my cabin isn't on the muster deck, I just walk toward the elevators as if I'm allowed to. No one has ever challenged me, but the traffic official by the elevator bank can see that I have a cane, and that walking is not my best trick.

It's been a while since I was on a Vista/Signature ship, and I was still able to stand during drill then, so I didn't need to ask about the special assembly area. I suggest you ask at the Front Desk, and head directly there.

There are public lounges on the same deck as the muster stations on those ships, so I will bet that the assembly for the disabled who don't have something to sit on is in one of them.

On the S- and R-class ships, the assembly is in the forward atrium, right by the doors to the lifeboats.

I also don't know where it is on the Prinsendam.

Every line seems to have its own procedure. We sail the Westerdam in a month - sail away scheduled for 4pm.

What's time do ya'll figure Muster Drill will be AND do we have to appear with our life jackets in hand?

Stairs are rough for DH so we like to arrive on the deck level where we muster a few minutes before it's announced and they shut off the elevators.:)

Muster is a half an hour to forty five minutes before the ship casts off her mooring lines and you do NOT bring the life jackets for the muster drill!

When life vests were taken to the muster, I saw several people fall down the stairs after the drill. They tripped on the strings of the vest which weren't tied correctly.

This is one reason that ALL lifevests with 'strings' should be discarded & replaced with lifevests with buckle 'snaps'! ;)

Is there any sort of check to make sure you attend the muster drill?
Since the Concordia tragedy all cruise lines have been more diligent about the drills, and on HAL some people that have refused to attend have been put off the ship before sailing! :eek:

Yes, each muster station has a check list and if all the passengers who are suppose to be at that station fail to show up they will go looking for them.

On Princess they are checked by swiping the cruise card, is this the same on HAL?

Sandy in Spain

This is one reason that ALL lifevests with 'strings' should be discarded & replaced with lifevests with buckle 'snaps'! ;)

More importantly, those with buckles are generally easier to put on properly. I suspect that HAL and other lines will phase out the stringed ones in the fulness of time, but will keep the current ones for their rated lifecycle due to the cost of a wholesale replacement program.