Do they They charge to use the Sauna and steam rooms on the Allure

Gayle V

I read somewhere that they charge to use the Sauna and steam rooms on the Allure. Can anyone verify it that is true? And if so, how much do they charge?

This issue was brought up in another thread about Allure...if I remember correctly, someone said it was $30 per day or $99 for the entire weeklong cruise.

From my POV, I won't be spending the money when I cruise Allure.

• 2 months later...

It's very sad that they charge for their use. That's the one thing I loved about other cruises, was being able to relax in the sauna and steam room before getting ready for dinner. With everything that they added to make these ships a destination on their own, it's hard to understand why they would charge for something so basic.

It's very sad that they charge for their use. That's the one thing I loved about other cruises' date=' was being able to relax in the sauna and steam room before getting ready for dinner. With everything that they added to make these ships a destination on their own, it's hard to understand why they would charge for something so basic.[/quote']

I'm also disappointed to hear this. The only logical explanation that I can think of (other than creating an another income stream) is to minimize the number of people (and/or kids) that will use the facilities because of passenger capacity.

Yes, on the first day you can go down to the spa and get the weekly rate, or a couples rate of $189, but you have to add the 15% gratuity:mad:

Wow, didn't realize it would be that much! Any chance you know what the weekly rate would be for one? My wife and I will likely do the couples rate but to be honest, I would rather her do it alone at that cost. Hopefully they have a good set up!

There is an18% mandatory tip added on to your bill for all spa services. The week-long thermal suite package is advertised at $99 -- but on our bill we were charged $116.82. My husband purchased a deep tissue back massage advertised at $129 and the actual charge was $152.22.

There is an18% mandatory tip added on to your bill for all spa services. The week-long thermal suite package is advertised at $99 -- but on our bill we were charged $116.82. My husband purchased a deep tissue back massage advertised at $129 and the actual charge was $152.22.

Wow! How was the week long thermal suite package, did you enjoy it?

That's the one big drawback about Oasis and Allure. That's one of our favorite things about Voyager and Freedom class ships. They definitely took a step backwards with Oasis and Allure with the steam rooms.

My wife will not be happy about this!

Wow! How was the week long thermal suite package, did you enjoy it?

DH and I had the week-long thermal suite package on Allure and think we paid $179/couple plus gratuity. Considering how many passengers there are on the ship, we never saw more than 4-6 others using the suite and never any kids. On a ship that big, having than kind of peace and quiet is rare.There is a sauna and, I seem to recall, 3 different steam rooms. I can't remember what they all did. There were also the heated loungers. We used the thermal suite aprox 4 times during the cruise and enjoyed it very much. Would we do it again....maybe ;)

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

This issue was brought up in another thread about Allure...if I remember correctly, someone said it was $30 per day or $99 for the entire weeklong cruise.

From my POV, I won't be spending the money when I cruise Allure.

I too would not spend especially $30 for a day and have never been inclined to purchase a week pass.

Royal's pricing though is based on maximizing revenues and I can only think they do get sufficient passengers to put down $30 for a day and some purchase the weekly pass. Too much to do on ship for me that is included in fare price.

I do like to try sauna's, but not enough to take my beer money. :D

DH and I had the week-long thermal suite package on Allure and think we paid $179/couple plus gratuity. Considering how many passengers there are on the ship, we never saw more than 4-6 others using the suite and never any kids. On a ship that big, having than kind of peace and quiet is rare.There is a sauna and, I seem to recall, 3 different steam rooms. I can't remember what they all did. There were also the heated loungers. We used the thermal suite aprox 4 times during the cruise and enjoyed it very much. Would we do it again....maybe ;)

Thanks for your review, I needed something positive to tell my wife about the thermal suite package.

As others have said the Steam rooms are included in the Thermal Suite Spa package because of how that room is laid out. There are 4 Thermal Loungers, 2 Rainfall type showers and 4 different types of Steam rooms. It was only accessible to those with some type of package or Day pass. It was unlimited use with the Suite package and never had more then 4 to 6 people in it at any given time. It became a very restful place for us to escape and just relax especially on the Heated Stone Loungers. I would do it again in a heart beat! :D

They charge on Oasis ships because the sauna room is pretty small, and without some form of regulation it would become very busy, and not relaxing at all. Of course they make an additional profit, but they do it more for regulations sake.

I am NOT naïve enough to believe the logic that they are trying to 'regulate the use of the sauna so it doesn't become too busy' [paraphrasing your words].....sorry, this is just a way they have found to charge for something that on other ships is free.

I have been on other ships ranging from Majesty to Navigator, and never has their been more than 2-4 people in the steam or sauna with me....most of the time, I have been by myself.

If in fact they were trying to use some form of 'regulation to keep something from being too busy' they would start with the hot tubs. Too often children are in the hot tub and making it impossible for adults to squeeze in. I am NOT suggesting they do it....by the way!

I am NOT naïve enough to believe the logic that they are trying to 'regulate the use of the sauna so it doesn't become too busy' [paraphrasing your words].....sorry, this is just a way they have found to charge for something that on other ships is free.

I agree that it is just a way for them to generate more revenue. After trying Oasis and Allure once, we'll stick with the Freedom and Voyager class ships, for a number of reasons including the better sauna/steam facilities.

As it was, on our sailing there were lots of people using the thermal suite most of the times we were in there, and we try to use it twice a day if we can, morning and evening, or afternoon on sea days.

It was somewhat crowded and definitely noisy at times, and not at all relaxing with so many people leaving their things on the lounges and going in and out of the various rooms, not to mention carrying on conversations. At one point late in the week, a group of people spent 10 or 15 minutes taking flash pictures of each other on the heated lounges and in the various rooms. :eek:

It probably varies by sailing though, as with anything on a cruise. It was just our bad luck this last time, I guess.

I agree that it is just a way for them to generate more revenue. After trying Oasis and Allure once, we'll stick with the Freedom and Voyager class ships, for a number of reasons including the better sauna/steam facilities.

As it was, on our sailing there were lots of people using the thermal suite most of the times we were in there, and we try to use it twice a day if we can, morning and evening, or afternoon on sea days.

It was somewhat crowded and definitely noisy at times, and not at all relaxing with so many people leaving their things on the lounges and going in and out of the various rooms, not to mention carrying on conversations. At one point late in the week, a group of people spent 10 or 15 minutes taking flash pictures of each other on the heated lounges and in the various rooms. :eek:

It probably varies by sailing though, as with anything on a cruise. It was just our bad luck this last time, I guess.

We are going on the July 29th sailing of Allure. I am sure we will like it, as we have enjoyed all of the cruises we have been on. I probably won't have time to 'miss the sauna or steam' with all the varied things to do. But it would have been nice to have available. I am not willing to pay extra for it....I will visit the Jacuzzi, to relax my feet/body after a busy day.

Thanks for your input on your experience....as you say....everything varies cruise by cruise.

They charge on Oasis ships because the sauna room is pretty small, and without some form of regulation it would become very busy, and not relaxing at all. Of course they make an additional profit, but they do it more for regulations sake.

No, I can't accept that as a valid reason to charge either.

I can understand some form of regulation to prevent possible overcrowding at peak times and this can be easily achieved with a booking system.

There is no need for a surcharge and would also agree that it is just a way for them to generate more revenue.

What next? A surcharge to watch the full-length Broadway musicals starting to be performed on their ships?

We are on an Oasis Class ship for the first time this November. Ah well. one less area of the ship we will need to visit. Probably just as well, Allure is so big we likely won't have time.

It will be interesting to see what happens on the Quantum Class.

Edited by icsys

To follow on what I posted earlier, and not in response to anyone in particular, I think if you've not used the sauna/steam facilities on board during a cruise, you obviously won't miss them, and if you do want to try them, you may like the thermal suite if you're not comparing it to the facilities on other ships. But for those of us who take them as being part of the cruise experience, it's not fun to have to pay for the thermal suite, especially since they aren't as nice as the ones in the individual locker rooms, in certain respects.

I've seen positive comments about the thermal suites on these ships and similar facilities on other lines where the posters like the mixed-sex facilities because they want to be with their spouse for the sauna/steam. And I've seen negative comments, in turn, about the separate facilities for that reason. Unfortunately, for RCI anyway, you're required to wear a bathing suit in the thermal suite because it is mixed, and saunas and steam should be done nude. Not sure what other cruise lines require, but I've been to several spas and other such facilities in Europe where they are mixed-sex but the saunas/steam rooms are done nude.