Major changes at Carnival Corp!

indokiwi

Not only will you not get a personal letter but chances are you will get a canned response developed by customer relations.

Your letter comes in. It is date stamped and categorized in the system by issue. The CSR then selects one, two or three whatever pre programed response paragraphs. They get placed in between the opening and the salutation. You get a computer generated and signed letter. Voila....you have a personal response. NOT. Feel better???

Every day, or week a computer generated summary is sent up outlining the customer issues de jour.

No doubt the responses to changes in the wine policy were developed at the same time as the announcement and in preparation for the announcement.

Only one thing that will change the policy is if it has a negative impact on bookings or on the bottom line.

Edited by iancal

So, does that mean that Princess will start going downhill like HAL?

In my mind, cuts have been made to keep the HAL prices compatable with what the public/customer base is willing to pay.

The Alaskan cruise itinerary we took a number of years ago was less expensive this year than we paid back then.

I do wonder if the new group will allow mariner points to be used interchangeably like RCCL and Celebrity do.

The rumor is that this announcement is only the tip of the iceberg and the real substance is yet to be announced. Without question Carnival Corp. is going through a major shakeup, and obviously something needed to change. I'm just not sure if these changes are the right direction to manage the brands or simply a way to cut costs.

Left out of all this is Carnival Cruise Cruise, the flagship of Carnival Corp. but probably the most underperforming brand at the moment (along with Costa). I'm guessing we may see some changes here as they don't fall under any "group" management hierarchy for now. Interesting that Carnival Corp. had more confidence in Stein Kruse than Gerry Cahill (head of CCL) to oversee a group reporting structure. It's hard to imagine that Cahill's role will remain unchanged. I either see him being let go, or taking on some added role. One can never tell with corporations like Carnival!

Ernie

In my mind, cuts have been made to keep the HAL prices compatable with what the public/customer base is willing to pay.

The Alaskan cruise itinerary we took a number of years ago was less expensive this year than we paid back then.

I do wonder if the new group will allow mariner points to be used interchangeably like RCCL and Celebrity do.

Prices for Alaska this year were very reasonable. I took the Eurodam repositioning from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. That price was very high until HAL did it's usual give away the farm after final payment so I think you have to compare apples to apples.

Not only will you not get a personal letter but chances are you will get a canned response developed by customer relations.

Your letter comes in. It is date stamped and categorized in the system by issue. The CSR then selects one, two or three whatever pre programed response paragraphs. They get placed in between the opening and the salutation. You get a computer generated and signed letter. Voila....you have a personal response. NOT. Feel better???

Every day, or week a computer generated summary is sent up outlining the customer issues de jour.

No doubt the responses to changes in the wine policy were developed at the same time as the announcement and in preparation for the announcement.

Only one thing that will change the policy is if it has a negative impact on bookings or on the bottom line.

So what's the answer? What do you propose? Should Stein Kruse report to work each day to handwrite letters all day,about wine policies,a/c issues,toilets that don't flush,soup that wasn't hot,Birthdays that were forgotten,and poor little Johnny didn't have any fun?

If yes let's at least make him do it with a quill pen.

Jacqui - You know that 99% of the time I agree with your posts. This is not directed at you alone, but to all the others who also complained about their "standard response" when sending HAL letters protesting the new wine policy. From the news release I will quote: "The newly created Holland America Group operates 41 cruise ships with over 36,000 employees worldwide who annually deliver 25 million passenger cruise days." Honestly, how does anyone who has worked in business expect Mr. Kruse to write a personal response to you when he will have the responsibilities listed above. It's just not going to happen. ;) Ok - off my soapbox.

no worries - no has to agree with me :D To be clear, I didn't expect an answer from Mr. Kruse. My concern is that the answer that was posted sounds like the same generic answer we got regarding the wine issue. I don't put a lot of faith in standard, generic answers. That's all.

I worked in a corporation with as many employees (if not more) as mentioned above and if a complaint letter was received, it was read and answered. The answers were not a 'standard statement'.

This was a billion dollar corporation that believed the customer was important and knew who contributed to the bottom line.

I guess I got spoiled by a corporation that listened to their clients;) Just my two cents:D

edited to say - the answers were not necessarily written by the President of course - but believe it or not, he did insist on seeing the letters. They all had personalized responses.

Edited by kazu

no worries - no has to agree with me :D To be clear, I didn't expect an answer from Mr. Kruse. My concern is that the answer that was posted sounds like the same generic answer we got regarding the wine issue. I don't put a lot of faith in standard, generic answers. That's all.

I worked in a corporation with as many employees (if not more) as mentioned above and if a complaint letter was received, it was read and answered. The answers were not a 'standard statement'.

This was a billion dollar corporation that believed the customer was important and knew who contributed to the bottom line.

I guess I got spoiled by a corporation that listened to their clients;) Just my two cents:D

edited to say - the answers were not necessarily written by the President of course - but believe it or not, he did insist on seeing the letters. They all had personalized responses.

I think I remember you saying you worked in the banking industry. Clearly it wasn't the royal bank because their customer service is beyond pathetic.

. This is very interesting promotion.Mr. Kruse will be very busy.

That is what I was thinking. How can one person keep track of so many aspects of a company. Seems overwhelming to me. I don't see how he or anyone else can do a good job with that many responsibilities.

One thing that I would like to see with HAL and Princess under one group, would be transferring ownership of the Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess (the small ships in their fleet) over to HAL.

Not likely, but I think the smaller ship, longer itinerary 'fits' HAL better......:)

IMHO, I don't know why Carnival Corporaton is maintaining two mass-market companies marketing to the same demographic...HAL and Princess. I've sailed on both lines, but primarily on HAL, working toward my 500 days. I'd love to see a "split" where HAL gets the smaller Princess ships (and perhaps the Seaborn ships if that line proves not economical) and becomes the "destination voyage" line, giving up the shorter cruises to Princess. I understand that Princess canceled its world cruise this year. Just my opinion, but I'm a "long haul" destination cruiser.

IMHO, I don't know why Carnival Corporaton is maintaining two mass-market companies marketing to the same demographic...HAL and Princess. I've sailed on both lines, but primarily on HAL, working toward my 500 days. I'd love to see a "split" where HAL gets the smaller Princess ships (and perhaps the Seaborn ships if that line proves not economical) and becomes the "destination voyage" line, giving up the shorter cruises to Princess. I understand that Princess canceled its world cruise this year. Just my opinion, but I'm a "long haul" destination cruiser.

That's a fair question....why not just merge all the Carnival Corp. into just one line?....first of all, it would be perhaps too large to manage effectively, next...they would probably lose a lot of patrons loyal to one 'flavor' that is, one of the current lines for its own distinctive character, and probably a whole lot of other business reasons....

One thing that I would like to see with HAL and Princess under one group, would be transferring ownership of the Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess (the small ships in their fleet) over to HAL.

Not likely, but I think the smaller ship, longer itinerary 'fits' HAL better......:)

That would be great ...