Requesting a Special Dish in MDR?

jayisgerman

Has anybody ever heard of being able to ask the DRM if a special dish could be cooked one night? Or if one could have a standing order of a special side dish every night in the MDR?

Let's say you really like Wienerschnitzel (just an example) - but it is never on the menu. Can you ever enquire if it is at all possible to have that cooked? On the other hand, you might really like grilled onions - is it possible to request to have an order of grilled onions on the side every night?

Just wondering if there is any experiences out there in this regard.

Thanks all!

Yes you can. We have done it several times. For instance on our recent cruise we missed a favorite entree in MDR as we we're attending a specialty dinner. Upon our return to MDR we asked if we could have the entree that we missed. Table staff asked Dining Room Manager, he in turn asked Chef and the meal was served the following evening.

I'm not sure what would happen if you asked for something different every evening but there is never harm in asking.

Has anybody ever heard of being able to ask the DRM if a special dish could be cooked one night? Or if one could have a standing order of a special side dish every night in the MDR?

Let's say you really like Wienerschnitzel (just an example) - but it is never on the menu. Can you ever enquire if it is at all possible to have that cooked? On the other hand, you might really like grilled onions - is it possible to request to have an order of grilled onions on the side every night?

Just wondering if there is any experiences out there in this regard.

Thanks all!

Yes, you can ask and you probably will receive. I have had standing orders for shrimp cocktails, and my mother has, on occasion, requested marinated herring for lunch.

I also heard of an Indian woman who brought along her recipes for her husband's favourite meal and asked for it to be prepared for his birthday. They shared with others at the table, which is how I heard about it. Apparently it was fabulous.

You just have to give them at least 24 hours notice. As Aliaschief said, the wait staff need to check to see if the request can be accommodated.

Can you imagine if everyone on the ship wanted their special order for dinner, brought along their favorite recipes, had standing orders every night? :eek: Talk about dinner taking hours to get on the table.......... Wow.

Can you imagine if everyone on the ship wanted their special order for dinner, brought along their favorite recipes, had standing orders every night? :eek: Talk about dinner taking hours to get on the table.......... Wow.

I agree it could get out of hand but they have always been happy tp please if possible.

As far as holding up service. I think not; as it has already been made with advance notice and is awaiting to be served like any other prepared meal.

I remember one cruise on the Volendam, and one woman at our table LOVED the shrimp cocktail so much, she ordered every night, whether it was on the menu or not. They got it for her. It became a standing joke. On the last night, when they brought her dessert - it was a shrimp cocktail! Everyone laughed and thanked the waiters. Great staff who did whatever they could for us.

Sail - I was worried that I would get that reaction and was almost not going to post my question. I am not talking about every night for a separate menu, just was wondering if a "SPECIAL" meal could be requested. No, I am not trying to be a princess :eek: and I also know that all the workers are busy and work hard, but if one would like a side of broccoli or such every night - would that really be such a big deal if the kitchen has a standing order for it in advance? :confused:

I agree it could get out of hand but they have always been happy tp please if possible.

As far as holding up service. I think not; as it has already been made with advance notice and is awaiting to be served like any other prepared meal.

Thank you for the insight, AliasChief. Appreciate the feedback!

Yes, you can ask and you probably will receive. I have had standing orders for shrimp cocktails, and my mother has, on occasion, requested marinated herring for lunch.

I also heard of an Indian woman who brought along her recipes for her husband's favourite meal and asked for it to be prepared for his birthday. They shared with others at the table, which is how I heard about it. Apparently it was fabulous.

You just have to give them at least 24 hours notice. As Aliaschief said, the wait staff need to check to see if the request can be accommodated.

Thanks Alberta Quilter. We always eat by ourselves, so I would not even have to share! LOL! Thanks for the information. ;)

I remember one cruise on the Volendam, and one woman at our table LOVED the shrimp cocktail so much, she ordered every night, whether it was on the menu or not. They got it for her. It became a standing joke. On the last night, when they brought her dessert - it was a shrimp cocktail! Everyone laughed and thanked the waiters. Great staff who did whatever they could for us.

Thanks Puppycanducruise, I will see if I am going to be brave enough to request a standing order or not. :)

Once on about the second night of a Caribbean cruise a man at the next table told the waiter that he wanted catfish in a lime sauce on the last night. He said HAL prepared it for him on every cruise. I couldn't believe he was serious! A few minutes later an assistant maitre d' came over and talked to him.

Sure enough, on the last night, out came catfish for three of the four at the table. One of the three tasted it and then ordered something else, and IIRC the man ate her share of the fish. Sure takes a lot of chutzpah! :eek:

Edited by jtl513

Once on about the second night of a Caribbean cruise a man at the next table told the waiter that he wanted catfish in a lime sauce on the last night. He said HAL prepared it for him on every cruise. I couldn't believe he was serious! A few minutes later an assistant maitre d' came over and talked to him.

Sure enough, on the last night, out came catfish for three of the four at the table. One of the three tasted it and then ordered something else, and IIRC the man ate her share of the fish. Sure takes a lot of chutzpah! :eek:

That it does!

Neither DH nor I would ever ask for anything off the menu, other than substituting green veggies for the veggies on the menu if we don't care for them.

I was going to comment that most responses dealt with dishes that are already on the menu, albeit not every night, until I came to jtl513's post about the catfish. As I haven't seen catfish on the menu previously, I wonder whether someone was dispatched at one of the ports to buy (catch? :D ) the fish. Or did the kitchen staff find a close substitute in the existing provisions? With a lime sauce, could the talapia or other stock item have been disguised and passed off as catfish to the unsuspecting passenger? :)

Those who have sailed with HAL for years will probably remember that Bitterballen used to be served with the hot munchies in the bars in the evenings.

One cruise with Captain Albert we hadn't seen any bitterballen. We mentioned this to him at the (formerly) VIP party. He immediately lifted his hand and beckoned over the Culinary Manager and told him to see that we had some Bitterballen ( which was a bit embarrassing).

Every night for the rest of the cruise there was tray of Bitterballen brought to our cabin at 5pm without fail. Enough to feed six hungry people with several gravy boats of mustards on the side! Needless to say we got our fill of Bitterballen that cruise.

With a lime sauce, could the talapia or other stock item have been disguised and passed off as catfish to the unsuspecting passenger?
I suppose, but since this guy said he got it on every HAL cruise he might have known the difference. If it wasn't catfish, and he could tell, at least he was nice enough to not mention it! :)

Those who have sailed with HAL for years will probably remember that Bitterballen used to be served with the hot munchies in the bars in the evenings.

One cruise with Captain Albert we hadn't seen any bitterballen. We mentioned this to him at the (formerly) VIP party. He immediately lifted his hand and beckoned over the Culinary Manager and told him to see that we had some Bitterballen ( which was a bit embarrassing).

Every night for the rest of the cruise there was tray of Bitterballen brought to our cabin at 5pm without fail. Enough to feed six hungry people with several gravy boats of mustards on the side! Needless to say we got our fill of Bitterballen that cruise.

Oh, my mouth is watering:D. They had it on my Oosterdam cruise in August at the VIP party but there wasn't any on the Eurodam cruise in Oct. I'd like a plate of that for dinner:D;).

Sail - I was worried that I would get that reaction and was almost not going to post my question. I am not talking about every night for a separate menu, just was wondering if a "SPECIAL" meal could be requested. No, I am not trying to be a princess :eek: and I also know that all the workers are busy and work hard, but if one would like a side of broccoli or such every night - would that really be such a big deal if the kitchen has a standing order for it in advance? :confused:

A side of broccoli certainly is no big deal and nothing 'princess' about it . Actually, they now have 'steamed vegetables' on the menu as always available and broccoli is always offered. :)

Bringing a family's favorite recipe from home is a big deal, to my mind.

A side of broccoli certainly is no big deal and nothing 'princess' about it . Actually, they now have 'steamed vegetables' on the menu as always available and broccoli is always offered. :)

Thanks Sail for the Veggie tip....in the end - I will know that there will be NO SHORTAGE of yummy food available 24/7! So excited to go on holiday! :D

I never knew about the veggies. Goes to show you how carefully I look. I knew you could ask but I hated to do it. I love my veggies so I loaded up in the Tamarind. I agree, bringing recipes from home is a bit much. You might as well stay home if you want to do that:D.

If you do ask for a special order, be prepared to eat a lot of it!

One cruise I asked if parmesan chicken would be served that cruise. Next night, there were platters of it served at the table. :eek:

On another cruise, I asked (this is just asked, mind you) if there was going to be the chocolate purse for dessert during the cruise. A night or two later, what did I have served to me? Two, yes 2!!! plates of the chocolate purse, with two on each plate. :eek:

And as if I hadn't learned my lesson, on another cruise, when the munchies were passed with cocktails, I declined while letting them know I would be interested when/if there were ever cheese sticks. You got it, one night they served me a platter of them. :D

If you do ask for a special order, be prepared to eat a lot of it!

One cruise I asked if parmesan chicken would be served that cruise. Next night, there were platters of it served at the table. :eek:

On another cruise, I asked (this is just asked, mind you) if there was going to be the chocolate purse for dessert during the cruise. A night or two later, what did I have served to me? Two, yes 2!!! plates of the chocolate purse, with two on each plate. :eek:

And as if I hadn't learned my lesson, on another cruise, when the munchies were passed with cocktails, I declined while letting them know I would be interested when/if there were ever cheese sticks. You got it, one night they served me a platter of them. :D

You must know the right people. I wonder if it's too early to get my bitterballen order in for Apr 2014:D;).

I never knew about the veggies. Goes to show you how carefully I look. I knew you could ask but I hated to do it. I love my veggies so I loaded up in the Tamarind. I agree, bringing recipes from home is a bit much. You might as well stay home if you want to do that:D.

I, too, love green veggies and sometimes get tired of the somewhat strange veggies offered with the entrees. So I often order green beans, asparagus, spinach, etc. Not all at once, of course! ;) They are more than happy to comply.

Like Ruth, on the Ryndam last year, I asked if they might have some spinach. You got it! From that night on (and it was a 21 day cruise), I had a platter of spinach. I finally asked the steward to please cease and desist!

I, too, think it's "pushing the envelope" to order a totally different entrée than is on the menu. If something doesn't suit, go to the Lido. It's embarrassing to see someone do that.

Edited by innlady1