Midnight Buffet

Ok, so on my last cruise, which was in 2008, they still had the amazing midnight chocolate buffet - with foods carved into the coolest shapes and figures. So do they still have this on cruises? I have pictures from the previous cruises and the carvings were fantastic. Have they done away with this?

Ok, so on my last cruise, which was in 2008, they still had the amazing midnight chocolate buffet - with foods carved into the coolest shapes and figures. So do they still have this on cruises? I have pictures from the previous cruises and the carvings were fantastic. Have they done away with this?

Yes...those extravagant midnight buffets have been gone for quite a while now. There will usually be one late-night poolside buffet, but it's casual and nothing like the buffet you remember!

Loved those midnight buffets along with many things that were a cruise tradition...gone but not forgotten :(

Us too. On our honeymoon cruise in 1998 we had late seating so finished dinner at 10:30 or 11:00 then somehow managed to find our way to the midnight buffet and be served by the same waiter we had for dinner.:)

To us it was "more" than just somewhere to get something to eat.

I only made it to one before they came to an end, around 2006. You are correct it was defiantly more than just a place to eat. I am glad that I got to see it at least once.

Yes...those extravagant midnight buffets have been gone for quite a while now. There will usually be one late-night poolside buffet, but it's casual and nothing like the buffet you remember!

2006 was the last one I saw.

Another cost cutting exercise.

One, unfortunately, that makes sense however as the vast majority of the food prepared was not consumed and mostly wound up simply as camera material with the majority of people who passed through the line just looking at it.

However, we too remember those days fondly and always enjoyed at least sampling some of the food.

our first cruises had midnight buffets every nite - what fun. then they had only the Gala buffets once/week where they would open the doors for viewing/pictures for a long line of people and it was fantastic! ice sculptures, food carvings, and remember the pates and terrines? they looked so pretty but were really like dog food! it was the desserts that were more appealing.

To us it was "more" than just somewhere to get something to eat.

I agree with you. We would always travel with my husband's parents who enjoyed the earliest dining available. Since we dined so early, we could always take in a show or two in the evening or spend some time in the Schooner bar and would always have enough room by midnight to take advantage of the buffet. I remember always going in thinking I would just take a peak to see what was on the buffet but always came away with more than my share. We all enjoyed those buffets and the extra time we got out of our evenings. I miss them.